996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Who has gone from a 993 -> a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who has gone from a 993 -> a 996?

Just curious what your thoughts were on the differences 993/996. I have a 97 C4S that I love to drive, but with the prices on the early 996's, a trade is tempting. TIA
Old 07-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I went the other way, does that count?

Here is my assesment. The 993 is more raw on the creature comforts. I find both the 993 and 996 fun to drive. The parts for 996's are generally cheaper than for the 993. I love the lines of both cars and would have one of each if I could.

Personally, if you are looking for a change of scenery so to speak the 996 is not going to be a step down so to speak or a major step "up" (unless you hit the TT area). I still miss my 02 C4S. It was just so damn expensive for the time.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:04 PM
TTJunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a 96 993 C4S, a 96 993 turbo and a 03 C4S. Of the 3 the 993 turbo is the better car. The power of the 993 C4S is dissapointing. The power of the 996 C4S is phenominal. With the X51 power option, the K&N cold air intake, maxflow mufflers, and the european M030 suspension, the 996 C4S compares to the U.S. 993 turbo. But a 996 will never be as pretty as a 993. And if you're tall, fitting into the 996 can be a bit of a challenge.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:08 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a 95 993,and drove a few 996s...i also owned a 2000 boxster s and thought the boxster s was more fun than the 996.the 993 was more fun than both...the 996 is a better driver ,but less fun for me.
the 993 is a better made car,not to say the 996 is poorly made,but the 993 is better...i now own a 87 911,and it is a blast..NO modern comforts..only power windows..its been a ton of fun..the 1st car i have owned that i want to keep for ever.
if you want a 996,look no earlier than 2002(imho)....good luck,j
Old 07-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Thanks for the thoughts. I use the 993 for a fair weather DD and weekend fun. I shouldn't rationalize it with money, but I can sell the 993 for $40K+ and get a good early 996 for ~$30K and put $10 in the bank. I love the 993 and love the widebody, but a newer car with less miles with money in the bank is sounding good.

What's funny is there's a thread over on Pelicans 911 board where a guy is asking opinions on the 996. Looks like lots of air cooled guys are coming around....
Old 07-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Mark,

I would not sell your 993 C4S for a 30K 996. The 996 is a great 911 but I'm much happier with my 2004 C4S vs. my 2001 C4. This includes the updated exterior/interior and a few extra ponies.

As Joey C. noted I would try to purchase a 2002+ model year.

jmtc,
Rob
Old 07-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 992 Likes on 513 Posts

I had a 95 and 96 993. The 95 was a dedicated track car the 96 was more of a street DE car. Both were great cars and I had little trouble with either of the two. I now have an 02 C2 coupe and really like the car. It's quick and the creature comforts are great. Also the shape has grown on me over the past 4 months.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:22 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

I don't have a 993, but I still have my 79' 911 S/C I have owned for 4 years longer than my 996. I have to laugh at the comments about the 996 being cheaper than the 993. The 993 uses essentially the same dash, door panels, pulls and pockets as the 70's 911's. Everytime I sit in one, I feel just like I am in my old S/C. Yes there are airbags and the shifter is a lot different, but not much else. Opening the door, it looks like a 20 year old car. From being in several 993's, there are several things that feel cheap compared to a 996 and amazes me that Porsche did nothing to improve in 20 years. The arm rest are cheap and break easily. The arm rest doors have always been something of the quality of JC Whitney. I love how they never fit evenly. How about those door closers where to extend them too far and they break out of the door? How about the dash that is not sealed and uses some rubber rings to stick VDO gauges in? How about the cheap random placement of the mirror toggle, sunroof switch and fog lights? How about the cheap speaker grills that look like they came from Kraco? Look at how the trunks are lined. Which looks cheaper? Yes, there is more plastic in a 996'; but the quality of the plastic is far better and more integrated than those of yore. The door handles now feel solid, the sunroof, fog lights, mirror and window switches are finally in a good location. There is a floor and no floorboards. Finally, the pedal pivot from the top (like every other car today) rather than from the bottom.

The other side, is don't expect a 996 to feel like a 993 or earlier from the drivers seat. Older 911's are more raw. Lots of steering feel and kickback. The steering is more isolated and slower in a 996. All the chopiness is gone. There is a lot more grip to work with all the time. The chassis reacts very differently. It doesn't have that feeling that it is pivoting on the inside rear tire in a turn. There is a lot more influence for the front tires. The back end no longer steps out. You can lift off in a corner without fear of spinning and you can brake much later in a corner. There isn't a huge increase in the early 996's from your 993, but in the 02'+ there is a lot more torque to work with from 2500+. I can't say if you will like a 996 or not. If you want more stability, comfort, grip and power then you may like a 996. If you are expecting it to have all the raw elements that have made 911's fun, you may be disappointed.
The following users liked this post:
Gingerman (04-06-2020)
Old 07-10-2006, 10:07 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
I don't have a 993, but I still have my 79' 911 S/C I have owned for 4 years longer than my 996. I have to laugh at the comments about the 996 being cheaper than the 993. The 993 uses essentially the same dash, door panels, pulls and pockets as the 70's 911's. Everytime I sit in one, I feel just like I am in my old S/C. Yes there are airbags and the shifter is a lot different, but not much else. Opening the door, it looks like a 20 year old car. From being in several 993's, there are several things that feel cheap compared to a 996 and amazes me that Porsche did nothing to improve in 20 years. The arm rest are cheap and break easily. The arm rest doors have always been something of the quality of JC Whitney. I love how they never fit evenly. How about those door closers where to extend them too far and they break out of the door? How about the dash that is not sealed and uses some rubber rings to stick VDO gauges in? How about the cheap random placement of the mirror toggle, sunroof switch and fog lights? How about the cheap speaker grills that look like they came from Kraco? Look at how the trunks are lined. Which looks cheaper? Yes, there is more plastic in a 996'; but the quality of the plastic is far better and more integrated than those of yore. The door handles now feel solid, the sunroof, fog lights, mirror and window switches are finally in a good location. There is a floor and no floorboards. Finally, the pedal pivot from the top (like every other car today) rather than from the bottom.

The other side, is don't expect a 996 to feel like a 993 or earlier from the drivers seat. Older 911's are more raw. Lots of steering feel and kickback. The steering is more isolated and slower in a 996. All the chopiness is gone. There is a lot more grip to work with all the time. The chassis reacts very differently. It doesn't have that feeling that it is pivoting on the inside rear tire in a turn. There is a lot more influence for the front tires. The back end no longer steps out. You can lift off in a corner without fear of spinning and you can brake much later in a corner. There isn't a huge increase in the early 996's from your 993, but in the 02'+ there is a lot more torque to work with from 2500+. I can't say if you will like a 996 or not. If you want more stability, comfort, grip and power then you may like a 996. If you are expecting it to have all the raw elements that have made 911's fun, you may be disappointed.
funny... a lot of the quirks you mention with the 993 interior are the reasons i love it so much... i love the fact that there is still wood under the floor mounted pedals and that the interior feels like the older cars...

however, i do wish mine had more HP... its been my only real complaint about the car since i bought it... i drove a 993tt and a 996tt over the weekend... while the linearity (is this a word?) of the NA engine is nice, the twin-turbos eliminate most lag and are just a blast to drive. i am having some of the same thoughts as Mark, but to me, i wouldnt trade for a NA 996 C2, regardless of the year... a C4S? maybe.... at twin-turbo? that's the interesting thing to me... an 01-02 996tt is selling for about the same price as a pristine 96-97 993tt...choosing between those two cars is a tough proposition, both have their strengths/weaknesses...
Old 07-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Jonathan - sent you a pm. Give me a ring when you can.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:32 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 96 993 for 2 ½ years prior to get my 996 (which I have had for 2 years now). This will seem like a strange statement but…very different cars that share some of the same characteristics.

For a daily driven car there is no comparison in my opinion. The 996 is a vastly superior car. It has more power, better ergonomics, better climate control, easier to service, less expensive to work on, more room and just a more comfortable car to live in on a daily basis. It lacks the aural stimulation of the 993 but is still not a quiet car. It is more comfortable but by no means a luxury car. The 996 can be purchased with PSM which is very nice in a daily driven car for incremental weather.

For a weekend fun car the choice is less clear in my opinion because stuff like ergonomics, climate control, creature comforts, room and ease of service become less important. The 993 offers a more intimate ride with more rawness. Unfortunately evaluating ride quality is difficult. Variables such as suspension set up, wheel sizes and tires play to too much of a roll in the ride to accurately compare the too models. In general, the 996 has a stiffer chassis and is better suited for 18” wheels. Both cars can be harsh with aftermarket suspensions. Both cars are a blast to drive and both are quick and handle well, with the 996 just doing everything in a more civilized manner when compared to the 993. The 993 has that great dash with the big analog gauges and those great mechanical sounds whirling around in back. The 993 offers great feedback from the road with the 996 being just a little muted when compared (although still much more “communicative” than 95% of the cars on the road). For a weekend fun car you are just going to have to spend some time in both types of cars to see what is important to you.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:06 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bet
I had a 96 993 for 2 ½ years prior to get my 996 (which I have had for 2 years now). This will seem like a strange statement but…very different cars that share some of the same characteristics.

For a daily driven car there is no comparison in my opinion. The 996 is a vastly superior car. It has more power, better ergonomics, better climate control, easier to service, less expensive to work on, more room and just a more comfortable car to live in on a daily basis. It lacks the aural stimulation of the 993 but is still not a quiet car. It is more comfortable but by no means a luxury car. The 996 can be purchased with PSM which is very nice in a daily driven car for incremental weather.

For a weekend fun car the choice is less clear in my opinion because stuff like ergonomics, climate control, creature comforts, room and ease of service become less important. The 993 offers a more intimate ride with more rawness. Unfortunately evaluating ride quality is difficult. Variables such as suspension set up, wheel sizes and tires play to too much of a roll in the ride to accurately compare the too models. In general, the 996 has a stiffer chassis and is better suited for 18” wheels. Both cars can be harsh with aftermarket suspensions. Both cars are a blast to drive and both are quick and handle well, with the 996 just doing everything in a more civilized manner when compared to the 993. The 993 has that great dash with the big analog gauges and those great mechanical sounds whirling around in back. The 993 offers great feedback from the road with the 996 being just a little muted when compared (although still much more “communicative” than 95% of the cars on the road). For a weekend fun car you are just going to have to spend some time in both types of cars to see what is important to you.
this is one of the fairest and most objective descriptions i have ever seen on the 996 vs. 993 issue... very very very well put
Old 07-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

FWIW

I went from a '97 C4S to an '03 TT. My C4S had 25-30,000 miles. It was Arena Red, grey interior with sport seats. I had the ROW M030 sport suspension, a Clubsport gearbox and LWFW, with full 6 point harnesses. I had an extra set of wheels with track tires mounted. My license plate was (is) LAST 911 as i considered that car the last of the breed (air cooled). I was seduced by the allure of either a GT3 or a TT and a little bored with the 993 after 6 years of ownership. I settled on a TT as it would be a better daily driver (note I don't drive my Porsche in the winter). There's no two ways about it, the 993 C4S is the best looking 911 to date in my book. It took me over 1 year of ownership of the TT before I was satisfied with my decision to change. If I wasn't going to a GT3 or a TT, I wouldn't have bothered. Now a new 997 or 997S, that's a different story. I'd gladly switch from a 993 to one of those in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
Old 07-10-2006, 01:50 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
FWIW

I went from a '97 C4S to an '03 TT. My C4S had 25-30,000 miles. It was Arena Red, grey interior with sport seats. I had the ROW M030 sport suspension, a Clubsport gearbox and LWFW, with full 6 point harnesses. I had an extra set of wheels with track tires mounted. My license plate was (is) LAST 911 as i considered that car the last of the breed (air cooled). I was seduced by the allure of either a GT3 or a TT and a little bored with the 993 after 6 years of ownership. I settled on a TT as it would be a better daily driver (note I don't drive my Porsche in the winter). There's no two ways about it, the 993 C4S is the best looking 911 to date in my book. It took me over 1 year of ownership of the TT before I was satisfied with my decision to change. If I wasn't going to a GT3 or a TT, I wouldn't have bothered. Now a new 997 or 997S, that's a different story. I'd gladly switch from a 993 to one of those in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
so, does this mean that you are glad you switched to the 996tt? Do you miss your 993 C4S? What do you like better about the 996tt, etc.? my Porsche is not a daily driver, weekends only... is that your application too? (looks like you have a S4)
Old 07-10-2006, 01:57 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I sold my 95 993 and got a GT3. I would not have changed the 993 for a 996 older than an 02 (and even then) I would have probably stayed with the 993. I miss my 993 badly and wish I could have both cars.

Quick Reply: Who has gone from a 993 -> a 996?