Sponsored by:

i just realized i am an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 12:41 AM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i just realized i am an idiot

so for the last 9 days of 996 ownership i been leaving the car with top down. today i got my V1 and as i was about to install it, i realized something: no more leaving the car with top down

so my choices are: live without the radar or put the top up everytime i go somewhere, even for a minute.

not sure why i didn't think abou that before.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:50 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I always put the top up when I leave my car. For many reasons...dust, birds, theft, protection from the sun. It takes like what 20 seconds...get the SmartTOP and it is one push of a button!

Or do you mean you're an idiot for leaving the top down?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

hey if it makes you feel anybetter we've all done stupid things with out P-Cars.

Infact..i think we should make a list
Old 06-20-2006, 03:10 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Never had a convertible but I think I'd be more worried about seagulls and fat pelicans than V1 thieves!
Old 06-20-2006, 03:18 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i leave my radar detector on the windshield w the top down if I were to return in a short amount of time. granted, i don't have a V1. I roll up the windows so it's near impossible to steal it without using a tool to pull it out without opening the door.

btw don't leave the top down over a couple of days or else you'll get wrinkles on the soft top.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:36 AM
Mitty
Racer

If you roll the windows up, the proximity sensor should trigger the alarm. Test it out with windows up and down.

One (of many) stupid things I have done to my P-Car:

After changing the leaky coolant tank, I was driving thinking to myself "Man, this is really running great!" Just then, the CEL goes off. Seems I forgot to hook up the MAF plug after putting things back together.
It was odd that it was running very well w/o the MAF connected...
Old 06-20-2006, 03:39 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depending on situation/location....leave top down, when leaving P for a minute....windows up, wind breaker in the back up.......they really have to jump over the windows and then the alarm goes off......with smart top/remote top installed

Longer times..I put top up......close to beach and I hate bird KAKA on my leather!!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:03 AM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I always put the top up when I leave my car. For many reasons...dust, birds, theft, protection from the sun. It takes like what 20 seconds...get the SmartTOP and it is one push of a button!

Or do you mean you're an idiot for leaving the top down?
SmartTOP+RemoteTop are getting shipped as we speak
Old 06-20-2006, 06:05 AM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
depending on situation/location....leave top down, when leaving P for a minute....windows up, wind breaker in the back up.......they really have to jump over the windows and then the alarm goes off......with smart top/remote top installed

Longer times..I put top up......close to beach and I hate bird KAKA on my leather!!
ah... so with windows up internal motion sensors work and with them down they dont? that would make sense.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:06 AM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by djantlive
i leave my radar detector on the windshield w the top down if I were to return in a short amount of time. granted, i don't have a V1. I roll up the windows so it's near impossible to steal it without using a tool to pull it out without opening the door.

btw don't leave the top down over a couple of days or else you'll get wrinkles on the soft top.
thanks for the tip. i'll put it up when i roll into the garage for the night from now on.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by djantlive
I leave my top down for days at a time, and have had no problems with wrinkles.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by jkb
so for the last 9 days of 996 ownership i been leaving the car with top down. today i got my V1 and as i was about to install it, i realized something: no more leaving the car with top down

so my choices are: live without the radar or put the top up everytime i go somewhere, even for a minute.
I use a combination of solutions suggested here. I have the Remote Top, so putting it up in the parking lot is no problem. Still, I often leave it down for a quick run inside. Depending upon the neighborhood, I either leave the V1 in place, or slide it out of the windshield mount and lock it in the storage compartment between the seats (I have the Bird armrest with enlarged storage area).
Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by Mitty
If you roll the windows up, the proximity sensor should trigger the alarm. Test it out with windows up and down.
Does it really work that way? My owners' manual says the motion detector does not arm when the top is down.

I do often roll up my windows when leaving the car unattended with top down. It just seems to make the car less vulnerable to someone reaching into the interior.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:25 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
I leave my top down for days at a time, and have had no problems with wrinkles.
Famous last words, Kim.

Top goes up every single time I walk away from the car unless it's a short errand. It's all to protect the leather from the sun's harmful rays as much as possible. Frankly, I recently purchased the OEM sunshade (as per Dell) to protect the dash. It fits, and stores, perfectly.

I'm starting to think about putting the car cover on any time that I am away from the car for more than a couple minutes. Hell, it just might be wiser to leave it at home in an embryonic cocoon.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by nycebo
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
Are you a pilot, Edward?

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings"

Quick Reply: i just realized i am an idiot