Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What reason(s) would an authorized Porsche dealer sell a low mileage 911 as non-CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 11:30 PM
otherbmw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What reason(s) would an authorized Porsche dealer sell a low mileage 911 as non-CPO?

Found a 2000 911 cab at a nearby authorized Porsche dealer. The car has 22,000 miles and *appears* to be in outstanding shape. It is the color I'm looking for and is equipped just the way I want.

I asked the sales rep if it was certified and she said no that their dealership rarely sells cars as certified due to the costs involved. She said they usually will sell a good 3rd party warranty at a lower cost that can offer as good or better coverage.

The dealership is really small - they only have a few new Porsches in stock and only 2 used (this car and a Cayenne) cars. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but even though they are an authorized dealership they do seem rinky-dink.

I'm trying to negotiate a god deal but I'm wondering if i should walk away since they don't seem to be interested in a Porsche CPO (something wrong with the car that might disqualify it?) . What other reasons might there be?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:53 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would they not certify the car if you were willing to pick up the cost....something is amiss!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:13 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It cannot be in an accident to qualify for CPO warranty....PLUS, not all dealers can certify a car, you have to go through a certain procedure to qualify....I have heard of dealers losing the right to certify a vehicle because they actually were not doing the certification, just pocketing the money and when something went wrong, sticking it to PCNA, when it should have been addressed before the customer purchased it. Tell them in no certain terms, you will pay the extra for the certification, you will not buy the car without it, and you are ready to but immediately...how much do I need to make the check out for...if they still wanna switch you to another warranty company, or wont certify it either they are shady, or something is wrong with the car that it will not pass certification, like a major accident.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

AFAIK, CPO is an EXTENSION of an existing Porsche warranty. It will extend the original warranty to 100,000 miles or 6 years from the date of the first sale, whichever comes first. So this car, a MY 2000 would not be eligible for CPO for two very specific reasons. One, it is already out of warranty, and two, it is mostl likely already beyond 6 years from the date of the original first sale. Perfectly legitimate reasons as to why this oarticular car can not be CPO. Aftermarket waranty, OTOH, have no such restrictions. Anything can have a warranty, so long as the premiums are adjusted. That's why the dealer can sell you an aftermarket policy for this car.

Check tomake sure you have all the service records, have a PPI done at anothet dealership, go over the car yourself to make sure it is something you want, then let the horse trading begin!!! G for it!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:38 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Originally Posted by Palting
AFAIK, CPO is an EXTENSION of an existing Porsche warranty. It will extend the original warranty to 100,000 miles or 6 years from the date of the first sale, whichever comes first. So this car, a MY 2000 would not be eligible for CPO for two very specific reasons. One, it is already out of warranty, and two, it is mostl likely already beyond 6 years from the date of the original first sale. Perfectly legitimate reasons as to why this oarticular car can not be CPO. Aftermarket waranty, OTOH, have no such restrictions. Anything can have a warranty, so long as the premiums are adjusted. That's why the dealer can sell you an aftermarket policy for this car.

Check tomake sure you have all the service records, have a PPI done at anothet dealership, go over the car yourself to make sure it is something you want, then let the horse trading begin!!! G for it!
CPO and original warranty have different coverage and terms. Coolant expansion tank & battery for example are not CPO covered. To qualify for CPO, the original warranty does not have to be still in effect.

The dealer make more money selling 3rd party warranty. Probly because of their size of used cars, they don't participate in CPO. I'm sure their tech has to be certified to do CPO and that costs money for dealer. If you are concerned with the condition, have it inspected. CPO inspection is a joke that doesn't even fix RMS. Dealers usually leave oil leaks without fixing it because they know it'll be fixed under warranty later. If they fix it now, they won't make any money and have to spend labor fixing something they can make money on.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:13 AM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Palting, A dealer can certify a car out of warranty but the cars cert warranty would end at 6 years from in service date.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:41 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Hmmmm.....my 99 C4 Cab just got off of CPO warranty....It would be 7 years in service...The car can be CPO'd...the only issue I know of is mileage, it must be under 50k. If its under warranty, it covers the car for up to 6 years from in service date and up to 100k, if its out of warranty, its covered for 2 years from sale and up to 100k miles. The coolant tank and battery were replaced under CPO warranty, as well as engine, exhaust manifold, various top pieces and seals, top latch, cooling fans etc....in fact, I never paid for a repair while it was under warranty, everything got covered, but the CPO Inspection is a joke....they missed a BUNCH of things on my car...like TIRES...I had a flat tire in less than 2 weeks...took it to get patched and they said it was illegal to patch a bald tire...BALD? Yup...Took it back to the dealer for four FREE Pirelli's...Here is a list of items covered and not covered....

The Porsche Approved Limited Warrany offers full peace of mind. Porsche Cars N.A. will repair or replace with a new part distributed by Porsche Cars N.A. any factory-installed part that is faulty in material or workmanship under normal use. Warranty coverage is Limited to the following components:

Engine (engine block and all engine internal parts but excluding exhaust system)
Cooling System
Fuel System
Electrical System
Transmission
Drive Train
Suspension and Steering
ABS Brake System
Brake System
Heater/ Air Conditioner

The warranty does not cover:

Wear and tear
Emission Control Systems and Corrosion
Abuse, accident, acts of nature, competition, racing, or track use or events beyond the manufactures control.
Vehicles that have not been serviced in line with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
CPO and original warranty have different coverage and terms. Coolant expansion tank & battery for example are not CPO covered. To qualify for CPO, the original warranty does not have to be still in effect.

The dealer make more money selling 3rd party warranty. Probly because of their size of used cars, they don't participate in CPO. I'm sure their tech has to be certified to do CPO and that costs money for dealer. If you are concerned with the condition, have it inspected. CPO inspection is a joke that doesn't even fix RMS. [Dealers usually leave oil leaks without fixing it because they know it'll be fixed under warranty later. If they fix it now, they won't make any money and have to spend labor fixing something they can make money on.
I don't know where you get your info, but that info isn't correct. CPO covers exactly the same thing as the original warrany, extended. I had RMS fixed under CPO just this spring. Cost = $0
Old 06-20-2006, 10:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Geez fellas.....let's cover this one more time.

If the car is currently under warranty then you have your 4/50 turn into a 6/100 but the final 2/50 (CPO) is limited and does NOT cover the same items the full warranty does.

If the car is NOT currently under warranty (like the 2000) then you CAN in fact CPO it and you get 2 years from that purchase date (NOT FROM THE ORIGINAL IN SERVICE DATE) and 100K total miles on the car.

FYI....the CPO costs the dealer roughly $1500 plus cost to fix anything that would prevent it from passing CPO status. If a dealer would (or could) NOT give a car on the their lot CPO status I would NEVER consider the car.

FYI2....this is all information you can get from the PCNA website (except for the dealer cost on the CPO).
Old 06-20-2006, 11:03 AM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Yes Dell, You are correct.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:07 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dell,
Shouldn't you change your name to NCDell???
Old 06-20-2006, 11:15 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Thx Dell...I think thats whay I said.....lol....
Old 06-20-2006, 11:36 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
Dell,
Shouldn't you change your name to NCDell???
That's what I thought.....but the consensus 'round here was to keep it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/278364-opinions-on-new-user-name.html
Old 06-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the owner of a Porsche Dealership that I spoke with the cost of the CPO is $1,595... so offer to pay that and they should be willing to CPO the car. If not, agree with some of the other statements... run!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:07 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Truthfully, I never thought that LV stood for Las Vegas; I thought it meant 'Lateral Velocity'.

ON TOPIC: I hear you Dell vis a vis the CPO, but depending on the dealer and if he likes you and what not, they will do a lot more under CPO warranty (i.e. - treat it more like a fully new warranty) than you think. All the more reason to maintain a good relationship.

Quick Reply: What reason(s) would an authorized Porsche dealer sell a low mileage 911 as non-CPO?