Sponsored by:

The deal on after market litronics

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 07:17 PM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The deal on after market litronics

OK, So I have followed these threads and called a number of dealers and gotten nowhere, really. Here's my question:

Are the new aftermarket Porsche OEM litronics self-leveling or not? I hear from some that they cannot be as sensors in the car need to be installed. From my local dealer that the "new litronics" are self levelling and that's why they cost $1900...Anyone else care to add?

Thanks

Loren
Old 01-31-2003, 07:35 PM
VinMar911
Advanced

I looked into these as well and as I understand it they are not self leveling. When you order it from the factory they put the leveling devices on the back and the front of the car, something that does not come in any aftermarket kit.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:14 PM
NMoore
Racer

If you mean the factory Litronic upgrade kit for pre-2002 models, no it does not self-level. The upgrade wiring harness is different than the factory-installed kit, and that function is specifically deleted.

It does, however, still tilt the Litronic low beam upward to blend in with the halogens when the high beams are engaged.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:09 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I have a car with the oem litronics, but added after. What is the deal with the ability to be able to have them self level? Can I simply add the parts that are missing, while using the wiring harness completing it to oem specs? I would be very interested to know this as I believe my right light is really high. I will find out for sure which is which. thanks.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:52 PM
NMoore
Racer

If they are factory lights added after manufacture on a pre-2002, they are not going to self-level, the hookup to the computer is not there. You may want to put some thought into whether this is actually a big deal--until the most recent model years, only a very few rather off-beat cars have had anything other than fixed headlamps. At best, this makes your car marginally less annoying to oncoming traffic.

Just a guess, but I surmise you are not regularly causing the REAR of a 911 to squat due to heavy loading, which would possibly make the function of more interest.

It sounds as though your headlight may be out of aim (no parts needed), or possibly there is a problem with the high-low servo (stuck high?).
Old 01-31-2003, 11:25 PM
SPR
Drifting

I think it is not properly aimed. ON my c43 mercedes I had the self leveling and loved it. It would aim farther down the road when you reached a decent speed. Plus it was neat having it self level when you turn them on up then down then sitting in the middle. So basically I would have to run an additional wiring harness is that it, possibly plus sensors? thanks
Old 02-01-2003, 02:38 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts
I was told the wiring isn't there. That is supported by the fact that the wiring hasn't been present for any of the mods I've done or am planning to do. It would cost a bunch, I'm sure.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by SPR:
<strong>So I have a car with the oem litronics, but added after. What is the deal with the ability to be able to have them self level? Can I simply add the parts that are missing, while using the wiring harness completing it to oem specs? I would be very interested to know this as I believe my right light is really high. I will find out for sure which is which. thanks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">
Old 02-01-2003, 09:49 AM
ETSMotorsports
Advanced

Are you all sure they dont self level? I have a 99 996 C2 with the add on Litronics. When I start the car they move all the way down then up then back to the proper position and I have seen them adjust during braking and move slightly sometime after I come to a complete stop.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:09 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

I don't know about the states, but here in Spain its against the law to have xenon lights without self-leveling because otherwise their prone to blinding other drivers due to their potency.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:22 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts
Yes I'm sure they don't self level. When you start the car, the lights do tip down and up, to adjust themselves. The motor feature on the add-ons is only used to change the angle between hi beams and low beams.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by ETSMotorsports:
<strong>Are you all sure they dont self level? I have a 99 996 C2 with the add on Litronics. When I start the car they move all the way down then up then back to the proper position and I have seen them adjust during braking and move slightly sometime after I come to a complete stop.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">
Old 02-01-2003, 10:55 AM
NMoore
Racer

SPR--perhaps the plate under that light that sets the aim was somehow adjusted during the install. Not obvious why that would be touched, though, insofar as I understand the process.

Pretty sure there is no retrofit for the self-level feature, but since you have had that feature before I can appreciate the desire.

It would cost a helluva lot, even that simple upgrade wiring harness is $200 if you try to buy it separate from the lights.

FWIW I think OE bi-xenon lights are required to self-level in the EU and numerous other countries, so we really won't be seeing any without that much longer.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:46 PM
SPR
Drifting

Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if it would be possible to find out which cars have that harness and go to a dismanteler and get it from them. It would be great if someone had a complete tech. manual and it noted the part # of the harness or whatever is involved for the full function etc. I would think that would be the best bet. But it still seems like a lot of expense for not much? Dunno, but I really like having things work 100% instead of just working.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:56 AM
996C2Cab
Track Day

My car came with factory Litronics which raised and lowered during accel & braking. After my accident, the repair shop replaced the lights with another set of Litronics. Now the lights don't self level under driving conditions. Does anyone know if these new lights are aftermarket or factory OEM? Also should I ask the repair shop to order the wiring harness that was originally on the car? I really want the self-leveling feature again.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2003, 01:03 AM
willard
Instructor

All wrong...

My 99 C2 has an aftermarket, Porsche, HID kit. It has an "alternative" level sensor mounted under the bonnet on the inside of the passenger side wheel well, inside the bonnet under the felt covering.

Canadian origin but I don't know when/where the HID upgrade was done.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:31 AM
DCFLAT6
Banned

You are refering to the headlight's ability to be aimed, which is not a self-leveling feature.

The TSB on the Litronics retrokit plainly states that they do NOT self-level.

Per the TSB:

"- The retrofit Litronic system is not equipped with automatic headlight beam adjustment (AHBA).
- The retrofit Litronic headlight control unit is not diagnosable with the PST2."

Later.

Quick Reply: The deal on after market litronics