Sponsored by:

squeaking clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:45 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default squeaking clutch

My clutch makes a terrible (and LOUD) squeaking/creaking sound whenever the pedal is pressed or released. It sounds like a 30 year old Ford pick-up truck (with the engine off).

I figured that I would have had to replace my clutch by now, but it's still going strong. The squeaking started a little over a year ago and has gotten progressively worse, but the clutch still works great (although it takes more pressure to get it down than it used to).

I was told that fixing the squeak would be a bit of a job, so I have been waiting to have it done with the clutch replacement. I don't know how much longer I can wait though. It sounds brutal.

Any advice?
Old 06-16-2006, 03:10 AM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutch pedal might just need a look at. maybe some dirt in the way, maybe clutchline or cable adjusting... probably no more then a 30 min fix If your in LA, drive here
Old 06-16-2006, 03:30 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vividracing
Clutch pedal might just need a look at. maybe some dirt in the way, maybe clutchline or cable adjusting... probably no more then a 30 min fix If your in LA, drive here
I was told that it was the master cylinder. I may take you up on your offer though. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2006, 06:33 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by vividracing
cable adjusting
The clutch is hydraulically operated...

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
I was told that it was the master cylinder.
Is the squeak coming from the pedal assembly or from the clutch area? If the squeak is coming from the transmission more than likely what your hearing is the release bearing riding along the guide tube. Porsche updated the release bearing (see image below) and now specify that you lube the guide tube with Optimoly MPO (its not regular white grease). Originally everything was installed dry. The fix is simple but requires that you drop the transmission to get to it. If the sound is coming from your pedal assembly it could be your clutch master cylinder but you could tell by sticking your head down there. To fix the more common pedal squeaks try lubing the pedal bearing axle, bushings, boost spring (only on MY00+), etc. for this Porsche specifies Optitemp LG 2. Whatever you do don't grease the master cylinder! Is there any chance you're still under warranty?

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 06-16-2006 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the noise is coming from the bellhousing area, it may be a very common and well known problem with then clutch release lever. It was redesigned shortly after the start of the production of 2000 996. There is a TSB about it. This would be a warranty item if your warranty is active. The bad lever will eventually cause clutch slippage during hard, quick shifting.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
If the squeak is coming from the transmission more than likely what your hearing is the release bearing riding along the guide tube. Porsche updated the release bearing (see image below) and now specify that you lube the guide tube with Optimoly MPO (its not regular white grease). Originally everything was installed dry. The fix is simple but requires that you drop the transmission to get to it.
The sound is definitely coming from the transmission area. This could be it! Is there a TSB for this? I am still under warranty until 100k (I bought an extended warranty that is supposed to cover everything) but I didn't think that the clutch was covered by this warranty. But then again, although this is clutch related, it isn't really the clutch.

If anyone can find me any Porsche literature that spells out this fix, please send it to me and I'll take it with me to a dealer.

Thanks!!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:42 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The sound is definitely coming from the transmission area. This could be it! Is there a TSB for this? I am still under warranty until 100k (I bought an extended warranty that is supposed to cover everything) but I didn't think that the clutch was covered by this warranty. But then again, although this is clutch related, it isn't really the clutch.

If anyone can find me any Porsche literature that spells out this fix, please send it to me and I'll take it with me to a dealer.

Thanks!!
Paul: I sent you a PM. It should be a warranty item if your car was produced before April 19, 2000.

Good luck.

Jim
Old 06-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Paul: I sent you a PM. It should be a warranty item if your car was produced before April 19, 2000.
Thanks Jim, but my car was manufactured in June of 2000. I guess they still haven't got it quite right! I guess I'll just wait until the clutch starts slipping and then have it replaced. I wonder when that will be?
Old 06-19-2006, 01:03 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

my car was manufactured in June of 2000. I guess they still haven't got it quite right! I guess I'll just wait until the clutch starts slipping and then have it replaced. I wonder when that will be?
Don't go entirely by the production dates listed in the TSB they were very rarely correct with previous models. The vehicle identification, engine or transmission number are also usually listed (those have also been off but only by a 100 or 2). In this case you want a transmission number newer than G9600 1018220 but even if you are already have the updated release bearing your problem should still be a warranty claim. The squeak is probably either coming from the clutch slave cylinder or from the lack of lubrication on the guide tube and the where the release bearing contacts the release lever.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 06-19-2006 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:22 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Don't go entirely by the production dates listed in the TSB they were very rarely correct with previous models. The vehicle identification, engine or transmission number are also usually listed (those have also been off but only by a 100 or 2). In this case you want a transmission number newer than G9600 1018220 but even if you are already have the updated release bearing your problem should still be a warranty claim. The squeak is probably either coming from the clutch slave cylinder or from the lack of lubrication on the guide tube and the where the release bearing contacts the release lever.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot and see what they say.

Quick Reply: squeaking clutch