Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

K&N 996 New Intake Available - instock!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 06:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

......I can name that tune in 7 notes
Old 06-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
just be careful saying it does nothing because it's not true in my OPINION.
Can you show me where I said it would do nothing?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:29 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ray S
it would do nothing
Old 06-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Cute......

Fact is I never posted the comment you attributed to me. I'll use your own "be careful" line on you.

"Be careful" attributing statements to others that they never made.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:54 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ray S
Cute......

Fact is I never posted the comment you attributed to me. I'll use your own "be careful" line on you.

"Be careful" attributing statements to others that they never made.

I really hope you're joking, just relax bro. We're all on the same team. This statement was made to WE We're on the same page with this, just be careful saying it does nothing because it's not true in my OPINION.

I wasn't singling you out. I really don't even care that much. Please just let it go
Old 06-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I think the real problem here is the credibility of the companies that manufacture and peddle performance products with false and misleading promises (I am not singling K&N or Vivid out).

If I go to the supermarket and pick up a dozen eggs, there should be 12 eggs in the carton. If Porsche says that my 996 makes 320hp it should make at least that. If I go to Lowe's and pick up a 15' extension cord it should not be only 10' long.

Why is that so hard??

I understand that a dyno test is not a perfect test. I realize that many factors can influence the results, but come on. The numbers that many vendors quote for a muffler, or headers, or whatever the latest and greatest power making mod is, strike me (more often than not) as being little more that pure BS. Worse yet, "we" (the consumer) usually don't hold them to their claims.

So, 23 hp from an intake???? I hope it's true because I'll be first in line if someone can independently verify that number.

Let's just say I'm not holding my breath.......
Old 06-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I really hope you're joking
I was.

However, I think the subject of power made vs. power claimed is an important one that should be discussed....
Old 06-21-2006, 09:29 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, i just wanted to know what Ray had on his car. This thread is crazy. After tomorrows video and dyno results, hopefully the naysayers will change there mind.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:00 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

First of all, everyone needs to get this 23 hp number correctly defined in their arguments. K&N is not talking about a 23 hp increase in PEAK horsepower, they are illustrating a 23 hp increase somewhere along the rev band (in this case, around 5500 rpm). From an estimation of the dyno chart, the peak increases looks to be no more than 1/2 that if not slightly less.

Nonetheless, I do agree with you guys about measuring the product independently. The satisfaction with my bike's mods all those years ago was derived from the fact that we did before and after dynos, performed by a mechanic who was my friend. We we're both hoping that some gains were noticeable but surely didn't have a vested interest in the product. If we registered no gains, we would have tried other products...or nothing at all.

Here's another thing to bear in mind: Dyno testing is not always the great arbiter that we are seeking. Dinan did a study a while back on how temperature and air flow can dramatically alter readings on a dyno. So, at the end of the day, perhaps the best thing to focus on with CAI kits is their benefits to throttle response and the better sound. I'm just not sure we'll ever settle a HP discussion until every dissenter and doubter has one installed on their own cars and independently dyno-verified.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo

First of all, everyone needs to get this 23 hp number correctly defined in their arguments. K&N is not talking about a 23 hp increase in PEAK horsepower, they are illustrating a 23 hp increase somewhere along the rev band (in this case, around 5500 rpm).
This guy has it at least half right. Are you guys looking at where these two points are taken? The after HP is shifted over several hundred RPM. The true gain using the before number (look directly up) is 10 hp.

The other important missing info is torque.......HP can be gained, but you might lose torque in worse places.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:14 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark
This guy has it at least half right. Are you guys looking at where these two points are taken? The after HP is shifted over several hundred RPM. The true gain using the before number (look directly up) is 10 hp.

The other important missing info is torque.......HP can be gained, but you might lose torque in worse places.
I could VERY WELL be wrong, but I believe you are looking at the chart incorrectly (or maybe I am), but it appears to me that the numbers are tied to the 5500 rpm mark by a straight line & the * & * are just there to call your attention to it, not to mark on the chart where the numbers are coming from (or maybe not, dunno).
Old 06-22-2006, 04:44 PM
bellwilliam
Intermediate

ZX9 is correct. K & N is claiming 23hp increase at 5500rpm, not peak hp. the red dot points to the left at 265.98hp, the blue dot points to the right at 241.18hp.

I am suprised they did not use the HP number from 5750rpm. as stock line dips down to about 242hp, but K&N line is on the climb, at least 270hp, difference of about 28hp.

as for torque. if the K&N line is above stock line at all RPM (which K&N shows), then torque should also be higher across the board, as torque is a function of HP (hope I did get this right, my math is a little rusted).

May be K&N tested with a dirty Porsche OEM filter ?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:00 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bellwilliam
May be K&N tested with a dirty Porsche OEM filter ?
Very interesting suspicion. Could be.

UPDATE: It very well could the be case. On reading the Dyno chart, the Stock Porsche was a model year 2003 Carrera 3.6 with 13,580 miles on the odometer. And, humidity was a little higher so maybe that impacts performance a little bit more.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:05 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

OK guys...here is the skinny. We installed the kit on our 996 test car, looks great, fits great, sounds great. Outside temp is 110F right now! Our dyno room would not cool past 88. So tomorrow morning we are going to REDYNO at the same temp of 74F as our baseline we did a couple weeks ago. Here are the install pics.

Also thanks to our buddy Mitch and Champion Motorsports for doing the install on a 997. It FITS!!!

Look for dyno results tomorrow.

BTW we are sold out. Nobody has these in the country. We have another 50 pieces on order. Stay tuned!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Oscypek
Instructor

WOOO i bought one on monday i beleive so it should be here tommorrow just wanted to thank vivid and matt for helping me out. ill be sure to write my immpressions of it once i get it on my car and test it out. i can't beleive they sold out im so happy i ordered it early. anyway thanks again vivid and matt it was great doing business with you and im going to do some more soon when i get my fabspeed muffler bypass from you guys (should be in a couple weeks.)

Quick Reply: K&N 996 New Intake Available - instock!!!