Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

K&N 996 New Intake Available - instock!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 05:23 PM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 186 Posts

It was my car used for the testing. My expectations were even lower than LVDell's. Like I've said in previous posts, I had no plans to mod my car for hp. PSS9s and sticky tires were enough for me. When I answered Dan's ad for a test car, my idea was to have a fun time, check out some new products, meet some other Porsche nuts. Well I acheived all that & wound up buying the mufflers and intake. The sound of the car is totally transformed from stock. Some of you saw the clip of the car with just the mufflers. Now with the intake I'll put it this way.....it's 110 deg in Phoenix and this fool lowers his windows everytime I approach an overpass. Butt dyno correlates with 27hp gain (mufflers & intake). Ear dyno says more like +50
Old 06-23-2006, 05:35 PM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 186 Posts

you CANNOT just subtract exhaust/CAI and exhaust only to claim 18hp for the CAI only. That is what we call a mediating variable in the stats world.
I think the left side of the torque curve (blue) is the most telling. @3K RPM the contribution of the muffler is minimal, but the intake shows ~18 ft-lbs gain.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:09 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intake made a good improvement on TQ and HP. Not much more to say, Gary was right there the whole time. Gary and I both thought it would not do nothing, but it did!!!

Gary - I had a great time with both projects, let me know when the next event is your going to!
Old 06-23-2006, 08:32 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, what exhaust is he running?

Originally Posted by vividracing
WHOA!!!!

I was getting nervous there. Finally got the dyno room cool and the car running. We got 18WHP. Listen here. If you dyno the car, everyone is going to dyno differently. Unless you have a full aerodynamics testing room, the car will not get the airflow properly. So dynoing the car with the rear decklid closed and no air pushing past the intake will yield no HP or in our case gained 6hp at the wheels. Our dyno room cooled down to 77F degree and the time we started running it was 81F degrees and when we finished it was 90F degrees from the car heat. We had one huge fan cooling the radiator and one fan on the intake to simulate what driving at 70-120mph would be like. Also if your going to run the intake, REMOVE THAT STUPID black sock. Does nothing! Another very important thing to do before you dyno or expect INSTANT results is to DRIVE your car around for 1 day. Let the ECU relearn. The intakes alter air/fuel mixtures and the ECU needs to adjust. Our problem yesterday is immediately dynoing the car. Once the car had miles on it, the kit worked great. Gary who will post here later and owns the 996 said it had a great sound and butt dyno appeal. "From 4000rpm and up, the car really whaled!!!"

The test we did used the baseline from the car bone stock, with exhaust, and with exhaust and intake. We took the gain of horsepower from the car with the exhaust to the gain with the exhaust and intake. That was 18whp. The addition of the Agency Power exhaust system and the K&N intake kit was almost 30WHP. Its on the dyno, LOOK! I expect there to be naysayers, but all we did was dyno the car like we dyno any car. K&N showed a number, we did a number that was respectable.

If you have a 997, this kit was designed on a 996, however the setup is the same. I have heard a couple of guys getting CEL. Please PULL THE CODE and find out what code it is. You might just need to reset your ECU!!!! If you have problems or would like to discuss the intake, please call me anytime, or email me and I will call you back!

Overall this is as about independent as you get. I think this intake is a huge success. Not everyone will agree, but the results prove themselves.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
I could VERY WELL be wrong, but I believe you are looking at the chart incorrectly (or maybe I am), :
Yeah, you guys are misreading the chart (I work with heavy machinery performance charts all day long so I know what I'm looking at ). They are misrepresenting the product with this chart.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:32 AM
bellwilliam
Intermediate

looks like the biggest improvement comes at 5781rpm, it looks like there is a 27 hp improvement !!! torque also shows 27ft/lbs improvement at same rpm.

K&N is also making more torque at 3800rpm than before at all rpm. so mid range drivability should be better.

this is more than what K&N claims. I am guessing it is due to the exhaust. with it, CAI helps even more.

very impressive !!!
Old 06-24-2006, 02:49 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what gear was the car dynoed on?
Old 06-24-2006, 09:46 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Question What do you guys want, NASA certification?

Originally Posted by Shark
Yeah, you guys are misreading the chart (I work with heavy machinery performance charts all day long so I know what I'm looking at ). They are misrepresenting the product with this chart.
Rant on.

How are they misreading the chart? And moreover, how are they misrepresenting the product? Using a freer flowing exhaust with the freer flowing intake is the key. It made sense before, and now it makes more sense.

You guys all think Porsche is God. Since they designed it, they designed the car to the max possible. Wrong. They have to deal with regulations on noise and emissions the world and states over. Besides ,if the car was such a gem stock, then why does Porsche mod the hell out of it for racing? With all things, there is trade-off with total performance (louder, rougher), longevity and driveability (quieter, smoother, etc).

Dan is a salesman, sure, but he also wants to sell the best product. Not everyone out there is a scheister. Some guys have fun with this and get excited about modding same as us. And without a doubt, Gary, a impartial party (with the exception of wanting more ponies) was there. If you had been there and seen the changes, you'd be lauding the product instead of looking for inconsistencies everywhere. And as I've said before, Honda's R&D budget could take Porsche to the cleaners and back, but their products (motorcycles) had proven gains when increase air flow in and out.

What is so shocking about this notion? I mean, Porsche also puts in a speed governor. Are you naysayers going to now tell me that no product could offer faster speed because Porsche designed it the best way possible (read, the governor is clearly a regulatory artifact). What about Smart and Remote Top? Porsche didn't design those? I guess they don't add value either. I mean the list of aftermarket, third party mods goes on and on.

Here's a real test: any naysayer out there should buy any product they think is bunk that alternative parties have posted dynos of and go and buy it, install it, and test it yourself before and after. Dan has proven a good guy; he'll take the product back no questions asked (or so he said) if you don't like it.

Why don't you guys show us YOUR proof claiming that it adds no benefit?

Rant over.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:02 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with most of what you are saying, I think the product is a great value, just be careful opening the engine compartment after rain and car washing.

I've learned in my past 10yrs of car clubs that the people who complain the most don't even have the product and rely on more ancedotal claims against the product than those who are for the product.

I also agree with the whole "porsche is god" statements I see on this board, yet folks will purchase exhaust systems that do nothing but add sound then complain that it doesn't sound like a porsche. This Pcar world is very of odd to me.
Originally Posted by nycebo
Rant on.

How are they misreading the chart? And moreover, how are they misrepresenting the product? Using a freer flowing exhaust with the freer flowing intake is the key. It made sense before, and now it makes more sense.

You guys all think Porsche is God. Since they designed it, they designed the car to the max possible. Wrong. They have to deal with regulations on noise and emissions the world and states over. Besides ,if the car was such a gem stock, then why does Porsche mod the hell out of it for racing? With all things, there is trade-off with total performance (louder, rougher), longevity and driveability (quieter, smoother, etc).

Dan is a salesman, sure, but he also wants to sell the best product. Not everyone out there is a scheister. Some guys have fun with this and get excited about modding same as us. And without a doubt, Gary, a impartial party (with the exception of wanting more ponies) was there. If you had been there and seen the changes, you'd be lauding the product instead of looking for inconsistencies everywhere. And as I've said before, Honda's R&D budget could take Porsche to the cleaners and back, but their products (motorcycles) had proven gains when increase air flow in and out.

What is so shocking about this notion? I mean, Porsche also puts in a speed governor. Are you naysayers going to now tell me that no product could offer faster speed because Porsche designed it the best way possible (read, the governor is clearly a regulatory artifact). What about Smart and Remote Top? Porsche didn't design those? I guess they don't add value either. I mean the list of aftermarket, third party mods goes on and on.

Here's a real test: any naysayer out there should buy any product they think is bunk that alternative parties have posted dynos of and go and buy it, install it, and test it yourself before and after. Dan has proven a good guy; he'll take the product back no questions asked (or so he said) if you don't like it.

Why don't you guys show us YOUR proof claiming that it adds no benefit?

Rant over.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by bellwilliam
looks like the biggest improvement comes at 5781rpm, it looks like there is a 27 hp improvement !!! torque also shows 27ft/lbs improvement at same rpm.

K&N is also making more torque at 3800rpm than before at all rpm. so mid range drivability should be better.

this is more than what K&N claims. I am guessing it is due to the exhaust. with it, CAI helps even more.

very impressive !!!
What he said. There's a crapload of additional torque across the range. This is a no brainer. The best bang for the buck I've ever seen (Porsche NA-wise). Can't see how the exhaust would skew things much at 3000 rpm. This with muffler bybass pipes and... look out.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Oscypek
Instructor

so i got mine in yesterday and installed it. all i have to say the noise is amazing, its almost deafing how loud this car gets. i listen to techno and was blasting all the way up and it cgot completly muted by the engine noise. it is more responsive and i can't say its faster yet since i really still haven't gunned it. anyway a few question. 1. my cel came one should i just clear the code or what? 2. my car made this werid sucking nosie before but only when i was cruising at like 2k rpm for a constant time (in parking lot or something like that) now it does it sometimes when im standing still. should i be worried or not really? anyway before i forget build quality is awsome and thanks vivid for the deal and pleasure doing businness with you guys.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:08 AM
C43
Intermediate

I love my new intake. It was a PITA install. I had trouble with the air duct. It was not lining up and would make the heat shield hit the belt tensioner. The sound at 4k is sick. No CEL(knock on wood) I feel she is fasterand more responsive. Now I'm researching the exhaust and headers options. I have read to many contridictory statements. Are headers worth it? Which exhaust is the best?
Old 06-25-2006, 03:21 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just installed my this morning and I agree...the sounds is awesome!! Same problem with the air duct and the heat shield touching the pulley on heavy acceleration. I ended up adding one more mount on the bottom side the air intake to the K&N "box" and it seems as though its a little more stable now....but the sounds is great!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 03:59 PM
C43
Intermediate

So I am not the only one. I used two oversize washers connecting the airduct to the box, but this morning heavy on first gear I heard it again. Where did you put the extra prop under the box?
Old 06-25-2006, 08:00 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually did two things....I added a bolt at the botton of the oem air intake (you'll see a black colored nut in the picture at the botton of the intake.

I also added a bracket to hold the other side...its a little too flexible in my mind and it could be that the whole box flexes there during hard acceleration. None the less, not sure which "fix" ended up making things right, but no sounds on hard acceleration now...except for the GHL exhausts!!!!

LEt me know if you need anymore info...seems like a miss on K&N's part of not adding that other bracket to the left side of the box!

Quick Reply: K&N 996 New Intake Available - instock!!!