Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

K&N 996 New Intake Available - instock!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:45 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
As someone mentioned on another thread, noise restrictions in some countries are quite tough. Also, perhaps the limiting airbox allows the car to burn less gas and thus get better mileage. Who the heck knows? So, we've seen the manufacturer's dyno. All we need is any indy dyno and we'll have better intel.

On an aside, and though it's a different beast, my motorcycle (Honda CBR 600F2) got a noticeable improvement in performance (that was dyno validated) by replacing the exhaust and the air filter for freer flowing versions. It ended up improving peak rear wheel HP by 11% (or 8 HP in this case). Torque was improved as well across the range, but I can't remember the peak numbers.

So, there is some logic to freer flowing gear yielding results. Could it be as simple as swapping in a CAI? Could it add 23hp? We've seen manufacturer's graphs; let's hold judgment until we see an individual report (EVS on 6speed has mentioned he is doing just that).
I don't doubt that you saw an inprovement with a freer flowing exhaust and possibly less restrictive intake with your bike. There are different market forces at work when your mechanicals are in clear view. However, with Porsche I have to believe when it comes to airbox design, Porsche has much better resources to attain maximum airflow. There is no benefit to restricting intake air, controlling airflow is better left to the computer. Now exhaust, as I've stated before comes under different constraints because of noise and controlling emissions so opening up that would have benefits.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:11 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
There is no benefit to restricting intake air, controlling airflow is better left to the computer. Now exhaust, as I've stated before comes under different constraints because of noise and controlling emissions so opening up that would have benefits.
On my 2001 Chevy truck they have restricted the airbox to "reduce" the
loudness of the intake.....I installed a K&N filterpak cold air kit & it is
considerably louder....I presume this was done for some governmental reason.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:15 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't doubt that you saw an inprovement with a freer flowing exhaust and possibly less restrictive intake with your bike. There are different market forces at work when your mechanicals are in clear view. However, with Porsche I have to believe when it comes to airbox design, Porsche has much better resources to attain maximum airflow. There is no benefit to restricting intake air, controlling airflow is better left to the computer. Now exhaust, as I've stated before comes under different constraints because of noise and controlling emissions so opening up that would have benefits.
Hey Mitch will you bet on that? Tell you what, I'll buy an intake do a baseline dyno, then install the intake and redyno it. If it gains hp will you send me the $300? If it loses hp I'll send you $300. Sound good?
Old 06-21-2006, 03:29 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
On my 2001 Chevy truck they have restricted the airbox to "reduce" the
loudness of the intake.....I installed a K&N filterpak cold air kit & it is
considerably louder....I presume this was done for some governmental reason.
But does it have more power?

No I won't pay with dyno numbers. As we can see from the K&N dyno, the numbers can be only be trusted if it is completely independent. If you send your car to me, I can have it dyno'ed at an independent shop that I trust and if you get 23 HP, I will pay you $300.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:38 PM
ericdee
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeRosen
Vivid Racing,

Earlier you said that you would do an independant dyno test. Is that still going to happen? Can you give us a time frame?
This is a very good point, I too have been waiting to see the chart. Come on Vivid Racing, show us the goods.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:44 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

But does it have more power?
I actually could not tell you, I forget what they claim you are supposed to get,
but I did not do any dyno runs cause.....it's a truck I drive to work, not a hot-rod by any means.......sure is loud though, lol.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:28 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

The truth is, I don't want to start a fight. It's just that I've been around a while and find it hard to believe these claims about air filters for a car like a Porsche. If you are talking about replacing old technology with new, then fine. But to think that the designers wouldn't love to get an extra 23 ponies with just a simple modification which really isn't much louder (certainly not as much increase in SPL than getting the sport exhaust) than the one they are currently using is crazy.

Then again, it's only $300 so who cares?
Old 06-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ericdee
This is a very good point, I too have been waiting to see the chart. Come on Vivid Racing, show us the goods.
They have indicated they will have results tomorrow. Unfortunately, they will be their results (not independant).

However, if they really believe in the K&N product one must wonder why they won't give a free intake to an independant rennlister for an unbiased test.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Guys, it is simple. These intakes are noise makers. Nothing more, nothing less. To get 23hp--as K&N claim--you would need to pony up $17K to get REAL hp bumps of 26hp (OEM Porsche) which REQUIRES changing internals......not the frickin airbox.

Yes it looks pretty and yes it probably sounds great, but it is the whole mindset of "it's only $300 so who cares" mentality that K&N (and Vivid, and every other dealer) are counting on to make a living $$$. I don't fault them for that, I do fault THEM for never following through with INDEPENDENT testing!
Old 06-21-2006, 05:10 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

I don't think it will give you 23hp either, but if you don't think it helps at all then let's bet. You guys keep saying it doesn't do anything, and Porsche does it better. I'll bet any of you $1000 that it gives you some peak horsepower. I know what you guys are saying and probably right it won't give you 23 at the wheels but if you think you can't ever get any improvement over stock you're wrong IMHO. I would say realistically it will be between 5-7hp at the peak similar to the dyno you see, just the difference won't be so dramatic.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

bowman.....all the bets that are out on the table right now are those of us that say it will NOT make 23hp. Nobody has offered a bet to say that it will not make "some" hp as you state. But 5-7 is a number that MIGHT be attained and I agree with you on that. Keep in mind as well, that it is quite possible that you might have a negative return on hp as well.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:19 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Dan has already posted K&N's DYNO (I know, not independent) somewhere, I just can't remeber which site it was on (maybe 6speed).
It showed somewhere around 20+hp at ~5500 RPM.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:46 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

And here it is.....maybe old news to ya'll...I dont know.

LINK
Old 06-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
I don't think it will give you 23hp either, but if you don't think it helps at all then let's bet. You guys keep saying it doesn't do anything, and Porsche does it better. I'll bet any of you $1000 that it gives you some peak horsepower. I know what you guys are saying and probably right it won't give you 23 at the wheels but if you think you can't ever get any improvement over stock you're wrong IMHO. I would say realistically it will be between 5-7hp at the peak similar to the dyno you see, just the difference won't be so dramatic.
I agree with Dell. You have missed the point entirely. K&N (and Vivid) claim this unit will give you 23 hp. I (and others) call BS on this claim.

I didn't hear anyone say it won't do anything. Truthfully, I'd guess you might gain a few hp (possibly even lose a few).

If you'd like to bet, I'm in. I'll bet you $100.00 that an independent rennlister will get less than 18 hp (I'll spot you 5 hp on their claim) in a same day before and after dyno with this intake. The only change allowed is the intake (no reflash or other mods).

Whadayathink?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:15 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Originally Posted by Ray S
I agree with Dell. You have missed the point entirely. K&N (and Vivid) claim this unit will give you 23 hp. I (and others) call BS on this claim.

I didn't hear anyone say it won't do anything. Truthfully, I'd guess you might gain a few hp (possibly even lose a few).

If you'd like to bet, I'm in. I'll bet you $100.00 that an independent rennlister will get less than 18 hp (I'll spot you 5 hp on their claim) in a same day before and after dyno with this intake. The only change allowed is the intake (no reflash or other mods).

Whadayathink?

I think that's a good bet for you. I doubt it'll get 18hp at the wheels too. No action buddy sorry. We're on the same page with this, just be careful saying it does nothing because it's not true in my OPINION. I think we all agree on that.

I'm not taking action unless you think it won't get more than 7hp.

The thing is we need companies to keep coming out with mods for our cars because the competition drives the price down. I think K&N should be appreciated for coming to the market with a nice product for $300 instead of $600. Will it give you 23hp at the wheels, I highly doubt it but it's still a good product.

Quick Reply: K&N 996 New Intake Available - instock!!!