Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

K&N 996 New Intake Available - instock!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:25 AM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 2 more left instock. $299 plus shipping. No where else in the country are these available. Call me to order.

4809663040 x222, or for fastest, ORDER ONLINE
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/24313
Old 06-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Duffs4
Instructor

Thanks for the update Dan, Brown can't come soon enough!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:39 PM
snaproll
Instructor

Originally Posted by vividracing
Guys, you dont have to return your vehicle to stock, does your factory intake suck down gallons of snow...no. They do that to cover their *** for those guys who drive through flowing rivers like you see on TV.

Is it better then EVO, um... yeah, price, quality, design, fitment, and power. The ponies are there. Just watch.

K&N said you do have to return it to stock, probably because the stock intake doesn't have the filter element sitting out exposed in the engine bay like the K&N does. K&N specifically says it's for mild weather applications. Even here in extreme Southern California it rains. This might be a track mod, but I drive in the real world and the weather isn't always mild. No thanks.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:44 PM
snaproll
Instructor

Originally Posted by LVDell
Gotta love these claims of 23 hp by air filter makers. There is claims of 23hp and there is TRUE gains of hp. An air filter will NOT net you 23hp. You can create all the dyno's you want but it just ain't true. Why do you think the powerkit costs ($16K) so damn much to get 26hp???
Because K&N knows SO much more about the car than the folks who designed and built it? I'm with you - if Porsche could get 23 legit horses from an intake alone, I think they would have done it.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by snaproll
K&N said you do have to return it to stock, probably because the stock intake doesn't have the filter element sitting out exposed in the engine bay like the K&N does. K&N specifically says it's for mild weather applications. Even here in extreme Southern California it rains. This might be a track mod, but I drive in the real world and the weather isn't always mild. No thanks.
So would teh EVO Intake be a better desing for Extream Weather, i live in Toronto Canada we have carzy Winters and Snow
Old 06-20-2006, 08:53 PM
MikeRosen
Instructor

Vivid Racing,

Earlier you said that you would do an independant dyno test. Is that still going to happen? Can you give us a time frame?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well... for those who actually installed one and have run it for a few hundred miles... I'd be interested in hearing your feedback...
Old 06-20-2006, 11:54 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Yeah, Im still waiting for any feedback from anyone who actually had their K&N intake dyno.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:32 AM
MikeRosen
Instructor

I thought that Vivid Racing was going to dyno test this pretty quickly, based on their earlier post. However, they seem to be selling well before any independant numbers are out. Since that is the case, I can understand why there is no reason to hurry. I don't put much faith in the "butt dyno", so I will wait for numbers. I find 23 hp hard to fathom.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:57 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I can't understand why anyone would believe that a modern day Porsche would have 23 HP just waiting for such an easy fix. I can understand why open exhausts can extract power at the expense of sound/emissions but if getting HP was so easy to get as just going with this airbox replacement, Porsche would already have it installed. They have alot more R&D than K&N does and adding 23 HP to the specs would certainly sell more cars.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I can't understand why anyone would believe that a modern day Porsche would have 23 HP just waiting for such an easy fix. I can understand why open exhausts can extract power at the expense of sound/emissions but if getting HP was so easy to get as just going with this airbox replacement, Porsche would already have it installed. They have alot more R&D than K&N does and adding 23 HP to the specs would certainly sell more cars.
IMHO you are correct. The hp numbers quoted for these intakes are pure BS (my opinion).

I don't think that Vivid will provide an intake for an independant test because they know that an intake alone is not going to get anywhere near 23 hp (my opinion).

To get that kind of gain you would probably need headers, an intake, and a re-flash (my opinion).
Old 06-21-2006, 12:52 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

We are doing a before and after dyno tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:26 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
As someone mentioned on another thread, noise restrictions in some countries are quite tough. Also, perhaps the limiting airbox allows the car to burn less gas and thus get better mileage. Who the heck knows? So, we've seen the manufacturer's dyno. All we need is any indy dyno and we'll have better intel.

On an aside, and though it's a different beast, my motorcycle (Honda CBR 600F2) got a noticeable improvement in performance (that was dyno validated) by replacing the exhaust and the air filter for freer flowing versions. It ended up improving peak rear wheel HP by 11% (or 8 HP in this case). Torque was improved as well across the range, but I can't remember the peak numbers.

So, there is some logic to freer flowing gear yielding results. Could it be as simple as swapping in a CAI? Could it add 23hp? We've seen manufacturer's graphs; let's hold judgment until we see an individual report (EVS on 6speed has mentioned he is doing just that).
Old 06-21-2006, 01:43 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

the bottomline is K&N designed and developed this product. we stand behind K&N products, but have nothing to do with their manufacturing processes. We have seen alot of their intakes do quite well.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:45 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

oh and Ray, search for our results on the Agency Power headers, same as pretty much all companies. They made 3HP. Headers dont do much at all. Your best increase on power is intake, exhaust, ECU reflash. I have run that exact combo before my SC kit. What mods do you have?

Quick Reply: K&N 996 New Intake Available - instock!!!