Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Car Kit In Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 01:41 PM
riozilla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Car Kit In Cabriolet?

I have a 99 C2 Cabriolet and am thinking of ordering the SonyEricsson bluetooth car kit to go with my SE T-610 bluetooth phone.

My question for the group is do you think it will be useable with the top down?

Or am i better off sticking with the bluetooth headset?

I love the idea of having it fully integrated into my stereo speakers / PCM but when driving with the top down (which is almost every day here in LA) I worry about how people will be able to hear me and if the microphone will really pick my voice up.

Anybody have experience with bluetooth integrated car kits and convertibles?

Thanks,

Rio Caraeff
Old 08-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I installed it in my cab.
To be really honest it ain't all its cracked up to be. Sure it works but I have to pull over to talk to anyone and I find I have to get real close to the mike. Even then it still isn't very good.

I played about with three mikes. The one that came with it is crap. Don't even think about it. In the end I chose a AKG mike that almost cost as much as the Parrot unit. This mike is directional and cuts out a lot of the humdrum of the traffic and noise around you. If you chose a mike make certain you get a high impedance one. I fitted the unit into thedash behind the instrument cluster and the mike in the dash mike surround. But even with this mike almost everyone who I speak to on the phone tells me they find it hard to hear me.

So, you ask about experiences. I have had some funny ones. I had one voice recognition set to "home" to call home. your driving along and you say "call home" and the unit auto dials a preset number for your home. Anyway, driving along one day my wife in the car, I said during conversation "why don'y you call mum" and it must have missheared me. Sure enough it dialed home. My daughter answered but didn't hear me. So she redialed the last umber called. My unit answered she still didn't hear me. This went on for about 10 phone calls. With me stuffing about with the phone and controls I got pulled by the police. As I am sitting on the side trying to get my wallet and license the phone goes. It's my daughter. The unit answers and I said hello. She said an a rather pi*ssed voice "Will you please f**k off". The policeman got quite a shock hearing this come out of my dashboard.....after I explained and he stopped laughing...he let me go.

Its a gadget. Its a fairly cool one at that. But if you ask me, I wouldn't bother again. I just bought myself a bluetooth headset and that works a treat. If it was only the bother of ripping into my stero and dash board again I would take it out and sell it on ebay. Just can't be bothered.

There you have it.
Cheers
Berny
Old 08-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Back-n-Black
Instructor

I have a Sony Ericsson T-68i and use a Sony Ericsson HBH 30 bluetooth head set. I've used it with the top down but driving at low speed. As for voice dialing i've never been able to use it with the top down, but it works ok with the top up. However as the RPMs go up it becomes less reliable (for voice dialing). The headset works well for receiving/making calls. I like the flexibility of the headset.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I am with you there. I have that exact same setup too. T68i + HBH30 and I find this works fine for me even with ethe top down. It does play up sometimes but its way better than the CK3000.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Philip9
Advanced

I have the T68 and a Plantronics HS. The noise canceling is nice with the top down in traffic but on the highway you definitely have to put the windows up and the wind stop to have a decent conversation.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Car Kit In Cabriolet?