Interesting V1 FYI Factoid: false signals

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting V1 FYI Factoid: false signals

FYI to all V1 owners. I've had mine for over 5 yrs and owned no other for the past 10 yrs. Never been disappointed with the service and reliability of the V1. Can't live without the "Arrows" and range.

Recently my V1 began to detected multiple bogies (5-9) in the X-band in
areas where I have never detected any radar activity. Signal strength was
high and lasted for 15-30 miles. Initially thought that living in Illinois and driving through farm country that many of the farm tractors, trailers, chemical tanks, which have radar (X-Band) warning signals on them had something to do with setting off the detector, although 5-9 tractors,etc, in one place or close by would be unusual and suspect. Construction zones also use X-Band warning devices on the digital signs and construction equipment but I've never received more than 1-2 readings in these areas before and they usually are short lived. This situation obviously warranted further investigation.

Sent the V1 to Valentine........ great service department........never a fee for
shipping or repair from my experiece. After multiple tests of the integrity
of the detector nothing was found to be awry. We ruled out any of the above
but upon further investigation the V1 Tech informed me that many of the new
Cell Phones (labeled with CMDA ...unsure of actual order of letters) emitted a
signal when "searching for service" that is detected by the V1 as an X-Band bogie as described above. Sprint and Verizon were identified as the most
prone to produce such an anomaly.

Prior to onset of my problem I had purchased a new Sprint "Blade". When driving in areas where service is variable turning the phone off or moving it at least 4 ft. from the detector solved the problem.

Onward and Upward Fellow Rennlisters,
Old 06-10-2006, 03:25 PM
jkb
Racer

haha funny... myself (and a lot of others) turn off X band since nobody uses it anymore.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:34 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

be careful with x-band - i still see it frequently in upstate NY and connecticut...
Old 06-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

No so fast grasshopper, as to the status of X-Band radar,those of us living in less populated and affluent areas still are subject to be vicitimized by my of the local authorities that either cannot afford to up-grade their Radar Guns or prefer not too because of those that think it is extinct, hence, it has
become a very useful and productive speed control/detection device.

Last edited by Malibusteve; 06-10-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:48 PM
eurotrashed
Instructor

Oh man, I have been wondering about that. I was recently driving though some canyons and there was noooobody around, and with all the curves, nothing could be reflecting around that much. So, at some similar intervals of time, I would get an x-band blip. I was scratchin' my head on those. Makes sense it may have been my phone searching for a signal, it is CDMA. Good post, thanks for the info.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:18 PM
42empress
Racer

I have to check this out. I called Valentine and have been meaning to send my unit back for the same reason. It just started about two weeks ago. My cell has not changed but maybe in adjacent cars? Very weird. The only consistent falses i have gotten are from the back of GMC/Chevy third lights on the laser. I have thought i picked up a few from trucks or cars with the park sensors on the radar. I have had my unit for almost 4 years with zero problems. Can this false be from an outside tower or just the phone searching?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

V1 Tech informed me it was my new cell (CMDA frequency) search for searching for a "Sprint" tower.
If you have Sprint or Verizon according to V1 it is a more common problem related to their cell phone
frequencies searching for a tower. Try and turn your phone off when you get false or random signals and see if that helps.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:34 PM
42empress
Racer

I have verizon, will check it out tommorrow. Does valentine have a solution to this problem?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:05 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my x-band (belltronix) goes off when driving by a gas station and car dealer ships/parking lots...it also goes off whne driving by a warning sign ( where it tells you when you are driving to fast and show you how fast)....
Old 06-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nicholas, your false warnings/bogies from construction sites, speed monitoring systems, gas stations are related to their use of an X-band-like radar signal to detect either speed, motion of incoming/outgoing customers on automatic doors, or on construction vechiles that use public highways. Many Tractors, Combine's and other Farm equipment also have such transmitters to provide warning to those of use with radar detectors of a slow moving vehicle or construction ahead.

Valentine 1 did recommend keeping your Cell Phone at least 4 ft away from your detector and/or moving from the "little" L setting (hypersensitive esp. in X-Band) to the less sensitive but effective
"Big" L setting. This seems to have helped but when I'm in an area where I have no coverage simply
turining off the phone until I'm in an area with coverage is more convenient and effective.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Just switch to another detector. I did, and couldn't be happier .
Old 06-11-2006, 03:56 PM
type987s
Instructor

Alot of X Band in NC,,,,be careful
Old 06-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Would never switch. Can't live without the arrows, moreover, none of the radar detector data and
comparisons demonstrates any one brand to significantly more improved or better than others. V1 is consistently in the top 2 or 3 depending on how the data is analyzed and presented.

Remember: It is the theory that determines what facts are observed.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:07 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have certain places that set off my V1. This includes some speed checkers (for traffic control) over the highway and a few local stores. I can mentally filter them out, so they don't bother me. i can easily live with a few false positives than give up any of the protection. A week ago on a trip back from MSR, I was coming into Benbrook coasting close to triple figures. Approaching the town I got a very short (about 1 second) single low strength beep (single light) in K band. It just came on and came off. I immediately started to think and didn't know of anything that would give a signal in any band around there, so I hit the brakes rather aggressively. Sure enough about 3-4 seconds later there was a Benbrook police officer on the side of the road using instant on. Being at night in a more rural area on an unlit road, I could nto see the officer; but the V1 did. The V1 has saved me from yet another ticket.

Since getting my V1 about 4-5 years ago, I have only once gotten a ticket: instant on with Laser. The results speak for themselves and hence not an issue to live with a few false signals.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:41 PM
42empress
Racer

02, this is totally different false. I have had this detector for 3.5 years and get the occaisional false signals. This new false signal is constant. My detector did not stop warning for 45 minutes straight.

Quick Reply: Interesting V1 FYI Factoid: false signals