Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New tires, pulls to the right, aligned; what else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Default New tires, pulls to the right, aligned; what else?

O.K. Just got some new Falken Azenis RT-615 tires on the car. Had it re aligned (numbers were WAY off spec) and all is within the ROW M030 alignment spec chart I have (see attached) EXCEPT for the front camber. On the left side, the minimum I could get was -1 degree and on the right it was -0.46 degrees. Would this difference cause the car to switch from one lane to the next in 5 seconds at 60 mph? Should I match the front cambers on either side even if its off factory spec? Reason why I could not get more positive camber is that I learned the car was in an accident (I learned this AFTER I got the car ) So, would matching the front negative cambers solve my pulling to the right issue? For those interested, here are my final alignment specs:

FRONT LEFT: Caster 7, Camber -1, Toe .03
FRONT RIGHT: Caster 6.54, Camber -.46, Toe .03
REAR LEFT: Camber -1.24, Toe .06
REAR RIGHT: Camber -1.18, Toe .06

On research that I have done, apparently the caster is non adjustable on these cars (particularly in the front).

Mine does have factory M030 ROW suspension on it. Even though it pulls to the right, I can tell that these new tires are awesome

1998 Carrera 2 RoW, Coupe, 6 Speed

Thanks in advance for all the replies
Old 06-05-2006, 12:06 AM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the alignment is within spec and the air pressures are correct, then at least one of the new tires is exhibiting radial pull, which is a manufacturing defect. Take then back to the shop you purchased them from and they can help diagnose which tire is the problem and replace it for free.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Gus B.
Pro

The only "mis alignment" is the front caster which apparently is non adjustable in these cars and the difference in camber between the two front wheels (both off spec and both different from each other). Would matching the front camber settings cure the pulling problem? If it does not, would it be best to leave it as is, or to match the two camber settings up front, even if they are off from factory suggested specs?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Swap the wheels side to side. If it then pulls to the left, you have a bad tire. The slight difference in camber should not cause the car to pull to one side.

Best,
Old 06-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Gus B.
Pro

Will do. Read that during the research last night. Would anyone match the camber settings up front, or leave them as I have them now?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I probably would have them redo the alignment. The L front camber is maxed out at -1, so I'd have them back it down closer to the R front. Unless you do a lot of track, them have them max out the R instead. I do agree, though, that it's probably a bad tire that's causing the symptom.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

It would be useful to match the camber. Not critical but it will make tires wear evenly on the street. By the way, a bad tire (belt slipped or one tire larger than the other) usually shows up under acceleration. Hard on the gas, the car pulls one way, lift off and it pulls the other way. Sort of like torque steer on a front wheel drive car. If it does this swap the tires side to side and the pulling should reverse, i.e. if it normally pulls right under power and then left when you lift off, swapping them should make the car pull left under power and right when you lift. If it does not do this, I would be suspicious of the alignment. If the pulling is more evident under power, have the thrust angle checked closely. The front and back wheels have to be pointed in exactly the same direction.

Best,
Old 06-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Thank you all for your help. I am off to the alignment shop tomorrow morning and will report once its done.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Quick update: had the car re aligned (yes, that is 4 times now...) and it tracks a lot better (takes about 8 seconds to cross the lane at 55 mph), but they left the steering wheel crooked to the left! Will be back on Saturday to (hopefully!) have this solved once in for all.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:21 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i would say if it has been re aligned that many times you got a bad shoe. I have seen this before on my old 540 BMW. I had that thing re alingned 5 or 6 times before they figured out it was 2 tires out of round.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:41 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for a bad tire. I don't know if the Falken tires are directional or not, but if they're not, swap them side to side and see if the pull changes sides too.

Heck, even if they are directional, it's not going to kill you to drive them the wrong way on dry pavement for a minute to see what happens.

Quick Reply: New tires, pulls to the right, aligned; what else?