996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Track guys, will this work on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:52 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track guys, will this work on our cars?

So, the local tuner put the fear into me regaring oil starvation and was wondering if this could be an option.

http://www.forcedfed.com/elise/accusump/forcedfed.html
Old 06-03-2006, 09:30 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been racing Corvettes with accusumps for years, a very common item in a track car. Inexpensive insurance, they can be set up to preoil the engine before starting, saving much wear. Work quite well in my estimation. I've even used them in my street cars. I don't know of any reason why one couldn't use them in a P car.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some 944 guys run them to prevent oil starvation...
Old 06-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I used one in tmy 944 GT3S, no engine failures.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:03 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very common in racing, Accusump has been around for years.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:42 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

the oil starvation "problem" is widely exaggerated/overblown. there are plenty of 996s that are on R compounds and even hoosiers that run the track without problems... mine included. i've spoken to 996 owners pulling 1.5Gs on MPSCs (data logger info) WITHOUT any problems.

that being said, adding an accusump doesn't hurt. you'll have to be creative with the oil line as you can't use the accusump oil filter adapter.

Last edited by karlooz; 06-05-2006 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

I installed a 3 quart Accusump in my 928S track car to prevent the 2/6 bearing issues that haunt the 928 engines and so far no problems. As for plumbing one in Canton, the manufacturer of Accusump systems, has a billet oil filter that has a port on it's top for the feed line from the Accusump. No sandwich plate needed and only one oil line used to feed the engine under low oil pressures and the Accusump under normal engine oil pressures. Check them out on line or give them a call. They probably have a Accusump and filter set up for the 996s already.

Constantine

Originally Posted by karlooz
the oil starvation "problem" is widely exaggerated/overblown. there are plenty of 996s that are on R compounds and even hoosiers that run the track without problems... mine included. i've spoken to 996 owners pulling 1.5Gs on MPSCs (data logger info) WITHOUT any problems.

that being said, adding an accusump doesn't hurt. you'll have to be creative with the oil line as you can't use the accusump oil filter adapter.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:50 AM
smankow
Pro

if you are looking to use this with an Elise, I would definitely agree. Track friends with Elises have installed them, but it's more of an issue with the Lotus.

I have not had any issues with my 996 and do not plan on installing one in that car.

Steve
Old 06-05-2006, 09:10 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahem, I was using an accusump in my 944 when i spun my number 2 rod bearing. Obviously, it did nothing to help me. There is a split of opinion upon whether accusumps are a good idea or not. In some situations it would help. In other situations, it probably would not help, and, many believe, can actually exacerbate the situation, at least with respect to '44s.

Do you plan to race on slicks? If not, then you do not need an accusump. At most, you might look into the Porsche baffle kit, or the Brey Krause kit, both of which are PCA race legal (IIRC). If you are racing, and the baffle kit is not enough to satisfy you, then you might consider just adding a dry sump IF it is legal for the class you will be running. I mean, why not just go for the real deal?

Someone asked why you wouldn't want to use an accusump? It adds weight, mechanical complexity, and, at least for 944s and, most likely 996s, do not address the problems you are most likely to experience.

Quick Reply: Track guys, will this work on our cars?