Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone know of a place in Virginia that will calibrate and certify speedometers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:31 AM
b-man
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone know of a place in Virginia that will calibrate and certify speedometers?

Does anyone know of a place in Virginia (preferably Northern Virginia) that will calibrate and certify my speedometer reading?

I got speeding ticket and was told that having your speedometer checked, and showing up in court with documentation saying your speedometer was off is very common. I'd like the calibration to show it's 4 mph too low . . .

b-man
Old 05-18-2006, 12:35 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to know the same thing for exactly the same reason in exactly the same place. Damned VA's finest
Old 05-18-2006, 12:41 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Good luck. German laws require that speedometers are optomistic, and while there is no such law in the US, the German manufacturers don't care to have to assembly processes and just make them all optomistic. You'll likely find that it reads at least 2mph higher than reality.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:41 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

If you are a AAA member, you can call the office and find out when their traveling speedo checking system will be at a location near you. I did this many years ago so I am not 100% sure they still do it, but it was a great service.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:15 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few authorized shops that do the speedometer calibration. I think the list is on the DMV website. You have to use an authorized shop and get a certificate for the court. My lawyer (last time I got a ticket) gave me the name of a place in Fairfax. I will try to dig it up in the Rolodex tomorrow. FWIW, my speedometer was actually a couple of mph faster -- WRONG DIRECTION -- so it showed 78 mph at 75 mph.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:35 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Speedometer accuracy is a function of tire inflation and/or wear.....

Same problem with the officer's car, speedometer "head" can be bench calibraded but that doesn't account for inaccuracies as installed, and throughout the day as the tire heat and expand due to pressure increase.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:45 AM
b-man
Instructor

Originally Posted by programmatore
There are a few authorized shops that do the speedometer calibration. I think the list is on the DMV website. You have to use an authorized shop and get a certificate for the court. My lawyer (last time I got a ticket) gave me the name of a place in Fairfax. I will try to dig it up in the Rolodex tomorrow. FWIW, my speedometer was actually a couple of mph faster -- WRONG DIRECTION -- so it showed 78 mph at 75 mph.
Unfortunately, I know my speedometer reads high. I'm looking for a place that might be uhhh . . . driver friendly. Anyone can send me a private message if they want. Thanks.

b-man
Old 05-18-2006, 12:18 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b-man
Unfortunately, I know my speedometer reads high. I'm looking for a place that might be uhhh . . . driver friendly. Anyone can send me a private message if they want. Thanks.

b-man
Sorry buddy, but I was told that the court (Fairfax) will only accept calibrations with certificate from authorized shops.

You might try to have a "friendly" independent mechanic to sign an affidavit that there was something wrong with the car (eg. wrong tire size, malfunctioning ABS system which can affect the speedo, etc.) but I would just get a lawyer, plead it down from reckless to speeding, take the points, then attend driver improvement to get rid of 2 of those points.

Good luck.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:22 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by b-man

b-man
we think too much alike. that is exactly what I am seeking as well. Please pm me with any info you receive.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:23 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by programmatore
Sorry buddy. But I was told that the court (Fairfax) will only accept calibrations with certificate from authorized shops.
I am sure you are right, but I am also certain that some authorized shops are much more P-car driver friendly than others . . .
Old 05-18-2006, 08:12 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Todd, maybe you and B-man can get a Group Buy discount on the "driver friendly" services!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:14 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Yeah, I wish . . . My driving record, which only goes back 10 years in DC, was spotless before this ticket. I hope to keep it that way

I am pro law enforcement, but the guy who gave me a ticket was a real tool, and not only because he gave me a ticket
Old 05-19-2006, 07:53 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

A Porsche dealership.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:28 PM
b-man
Instructor

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
A Porsche dealership.
Unfortunately, I tried and they don't. I'm still in need of suggestions! Thanks guys!

b-man
Old 10-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Glenntpr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No se

Quick Reply: Anyone know of a place in Virginia that will calibrate and certify speedometers?