Sponsored by:

3.4 stock exhaust cans...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:06 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3.4 stock exhaust cans...

I have a MY 2000 996 w/ Fabspeed exhaust. The PO installed the exhaust and it has resonance (sp?) between 2K and 3K. It's loud enough that it's hard to have a conversation with someone. I saw a mod on here where you take the OEM standard exhaust cans and convert them to the PSE w/out the switch. I was wanting to try it but don't have the origianal exhaust. Does anyone have there old exhaust laying around that they want to get rid of?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. The stock cans off my '99 C2 are sitting in the garage. You can have them if you want swing by. I'm in St. Louis as well.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:17 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Take the 3.6L cans. They are way easier to convert.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:13 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark - I have some already converted 3.4 mufflers - I put them on last weekend and they are too quiet for my taste...I put back on my GHLs....

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=combo

PM me if you are interested....
Old 05-11-2006, 09:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a serious misconception that this mod converts the cans to a PSE. They do NOT. They do however, improve the sound. If it is PSE you are looking for you will be disappointed. If you want a better exhaust note than standard, you will probably be satisfied.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't done this myself, but plan on doing it.

The acoustic model is identical (physical internal shape, material used, pipe size). So why do you think they are different ? The only time it can be different if someone uses a pipe of a diameter different than the PSE ver2 (from 2nd chamber to outlet).
Old 05-12-2006, 04:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

It's not just me that "thinks" that. There is plenty of testimonials from board members about the "PSE" mod. As I have stated, it is an improved sound but if you are looking for a 1:1 PSE comparison match you will be let down.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:50 PM
87turbolook911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Having done the mod....

I concur with LVDELL...

But then again mine are '99 cans. I do like the results eventhough not PSE sounding.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not for or against either arguement. But I find it hard to believe that there is some special "porsche blessing" on the PSE mufflers. When compared to the modded mufflers (modded in a certain manner, explained below) they are identical in all respects. Laws of physics. They have the same internal shape, same materials and same gas flow volumes. The only way they can be different is if
  1. People are calling ANY mod to the stock mufflers the "PSE mod". There are hundreds of ways you can mod the stock muffler (size of pipe, start/end point of that pipe etc). But the PSE is just one such a combination of those variables.
  2. Something I don't really know or haven't yet understood. As an engineer, given the data I cannot see why the performance would differ unless there is an important fact I'm not even aware about.

I'm thinking the reason you find a lot of differences in the sound when comparing modded mufflers to the real PSE could be due to #1. Of course, if its #2, I'd love to know more about the differences.

About the PSE mod.
The 1st version of the real PSE was based off 3.4 L engine mufflers. There was a J style bypass pipe (3/8") from inlet to outlet.

The 2nd version of the real PSE was based off 3.6L engine mufflers. They had a L shaped pipe from the 2nd chamber inlet to the outlet pipe. Basically you let the air pass thru the 1st chamber as usual but as it almost enters the 2nd chamber you bypass a part of that volume it out to the outlet. So some of it goes out and some of it goes thru the entire 2nd chamber and the entire 3rd chamber. How much of air passes thru each route is determined by how wide a pipe you use as the bypass. The real PSE's bypass pipe has the same diameter as it outlet pipe.

Note that the 3.4L engine based mufflers and 3.6L engine based mufflers are different internally. So doing one mod on the other won't get you exact PSE sound.

Finally, the real PSE also has
  1. a cut off (vacuum actuated) valve (open/closes bypass pipe)
  2. electronics to control that valve (when to let the vacuum in, when not to)

So when the above two are working the acoutic model changes. So you basically switch between "stock muffler" and "PSE" dynamically on the fly (as determined by the electronics, based on your current speed)

Most people doing the mod don't want such a cut off (i.e. PSE->Stock) zone. This is what keeps the mod simple, managable and less prone to "manufacturing" errors. If they actually want such a cut off, it becomes a very complicated mod, and you're better off getting the PSE. The fact is that a lot of people installing the real PSE keep the mufflers in "always PSE" mode by cheating the electronics or cheating the vacuum valve.

Hope that helps !

Cheers !
Sid
Old 05-13-2006, 02:59 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Converting the 3.6 mufflers that have the recessed nipple by installing the bypass pipe is as true a PSE (full time) as it would be coming from Porsche. Same mufflers.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Believe whatever you want to believe. Swing by my place and we will compare. I'd love to be proven wrong , but I just don't see it happening.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:34 AM
nsang
Advanced

I this this mod about 2 months ago, on 99 cans.. did not spent much money ($200), but on the other hand, did not get the sound I expected...it is just too soft, can barely hear the difference.. If I had to do it again, will get Dansk of PSE.. would not this mod again, no matter how inexpensive it is.. just my opinion...
Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 AM
87turbolook911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have performed the PSE mod to both 99 and 2002 cans. I can say that they are a night and day difference from each other. Though the 99 cans did sound deeper and sportier than stock, they sounded no where near PSE.

Last weekend, a buddy gave me his 2002 cans so I did the PSE mod to them. I had to find out...are '02 cans really that different? Externally they look almost identical.

Just finished installing them. All I can say is WOWWWWWW....

They sound tremendous! Dare I say very close to PSE?.....absolutely! I'm gonna have to compare to my buddies real PSE this weekend.

Feel free to throw the "I told you so" messages my way.

I'll try to post a video this weekend.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:05 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I told you so.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I did this mod to 3.4L cans. While the sound is deeper and a little louder, I was a little disappointed that they were not a lot louder. I still have my OEM stock 3.6 L cans, but don't want to "hack" them because I am leasing the car and may not buy it at lease end. Unfortunately, I have yet to hear PSE mufflers in person, so I don't really know what I am missing.

87turbolook911 - you are the only person I am aware of that has done this to both the 3.4L and 3.6L mufflers. After you have had a chance to compare your 3.6L exhaust sound to your buddy's PSE sound, if you could post your thoughts along with the video comparison, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Quick Reply: 3.4 stock exhaust cans...