996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

3.4 stock exhaust cans...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:34 PM
waldrondigital
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm going to just drill a hole in the muffler inlet pipe while I'm waiting for my 3.6 cans. Then I will throw these in the trash as they will have been hacked to pieces. The good news is that my old cans will sound better while I wait!

Can anyone tell me if there's a downside to doing this temporarily? Of course the exhaust fumes will be coming out the small hole, but if it's only for a few weeks - any harm done?
Old 01-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Can't tell you about any downside of the drilling you mention, but I ended up with stock 3.4 cans. I had the local muffler shop fabricate some bypass pipes and though it was "cool", I could only take it for about 3 weeks. I guess if I was really gung ho, I would deal with it, but after a few 3 hour rides, well, I started developing headaches. It also made my interior buzz and rattle all over the place. I decided against modifying the 3.4 cans based on consensus: almost no difference at all. I guess I could get a set of 3.6 cans and mod them, but at that price level, might as well buy something already proven (Fabspeed, Tubi, etc.).

Now onto putting that orange cap on my intake! HA!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:24 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading this discussion thread, I'm thinking I'd like to try the "PSE sound" with a set of converted 3.6L mufflers "with the nipple indentation (whatever that is). Anyone have a set they'd be willing to sell me at a reasonable price? It seems that this might be a way to get some pleasant sound without the price tag of a PSE system. I'd like to hear from you if you have a set sitting around after a muffler mod.

Chuck
Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
nconyard
4th Gear

Does this mean you are selling your Fabspeed mufflers? If so, I am interested.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:00 AM
JVictor
Intermediate

OK Guys, My problem is pretty simple vs what you all seem to be dealing with. My 2000 C2 (3.4L)with factory PSE operating is to loud, raspy and "raucous" for my taste. I have bypassed the vacuum switch so the bypass pipes stay closed (Quieter). This is fine; now I can hear all the wonderful sounds a Porsche drive train makes. The trouble is, around 3000 RPM there is a low frequency rattle/resonance that is very trashy-sounding. Loose Baffles? Maybe, but it doesn't sound like a real metallic rattle. Sure, a mellower note would be nice but how do I get there without the obnoxious noise of PSE? 3.6 non-PSE cans? Sounds like everybody wants these to mod them.... jVm
Old 02-16-2007, 01:09 AM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by JVictor
OK Guys, My problem is pretty simple vs what you all seem to be dealing with. My 2000 C2 (3.4L)with factory PSE operating is to loud, raspy and "raucous" for my taste. I have bypassed the vacuum switch so the bypass pipes stay closed (Quieter). This is fine; now I can hear all the wonderful sounds a Porsche drive train makes. The trouble is, around 3000 RPM there is a low frequency rattle/resonance that is very trashy-sounding. Loose Baffles? Maybe, but it doesn't sound like a real metallic rattle. Sure, a mellower note would be nice but how do I get there without the obnoxious noise of PSE? 3.6 non-PSE cans? Sounds like everybody wants these to mod them.... jVm
Not really sure when the car was purchase new, but exhaust systems have 7 year warranty. Maybe you can take it in to have it looked at.

Just did the 3.6 mod and have none of the problems you describe above. It just sings. I say try finding 3.6 cans and mod them. Like Tim has said the mod is about 80% of what OEM PSE sound like. Note. (I have never heard OEM PSE), but I think it would be to much for my taste.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

JVictor, I can virtually guarantee that if you want to trade your '02 PSE for the '02 stock cans, you will find a "taker". However, it sounds like your PSE is not functioning properly. When I turn my PSE "off" it stays "off" and it sounds identical to my old stock '02 "cans".

I'd say a trip to your dealer (to diagnose the problem) is in order.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:57 PM
JVictor
Intermediate

Hi Guys, Thanks for the imput. Any more out there appreciated, too. RayS, mine's a 2000, not an '02 . I think later models do have an "off" switch. Mine does not. Vacuum, via an under-bonnet switch (controlled off the DME?), holds the dashpots on the bypass pipes closed (these are the early PSE where smaller 3/4" bypass pipes go from inlet to outlet). Simply by re-configuring the 1/8" plastic vacuum tubes I can apply constant vacuum to the dashpots and the PSE does not operate. "Evansaero"; thanks, I never thot of the 7-year warranty. I think I'll talk to the dealer and have them listen to it. It seems I have read here that these older cans tend to have baffle problems? jVm
Old 02-16-2007, 01:18 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Does this mean you are selling your Fabspeed mufflers? If so, I am interested.
This thread is kind of old...after reading the responses and considering my options, i decided to keep the Fabspeed (about 10 months ago ). It didn't take long before i really started liking it.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:12 PM
cgng30
Instructor

I have a base 997. 3.6. I wonder if i can perfrom this mod on my exhaust. from what i understand the 997 exhaust is redisigned? and the pse for 997 has 2 seprate exhaust pipes, i wonder if you can combine them to one like you guys have done it.

thanks in advance
Old 05-16-2007, 06:05 PM
su20
Advanced

Just one more opiinion... I have an '02, and I did the mod myself using 2-1/4" stainless. I love the sound, especially at idle and under load. Exactly what I wanted... just a bit more snort without being obnoxious. 60 bucks (already have the tig welder)

I did a before and after video and put in on utube, but the microphone wasn't sensitive enough to overcome wind noise and really show the true difference. But I would say if you want your car to sound a bit more raw and agressive, but not draw unnecessary attention, this or (the much more expensive) PSE mod is the way to go. But do it with 3.6L cans. If you 1) cut the holes as large as possible, and 2) use 2-1/4" tubing, I have a hard time accepting that it will not sound exactly like the PSE mod, though anyone who spent a couple grand on PSE will undoubtedly dispute that.
Attached Images   
Old 05-16-2007, 11:00 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cgng30
I have a base 997. 3.6. I wonder if i can perfrom this mod on my exhaust. from what i understand the 997 exhaust is redisigned? and the pse for 997 has 2 seprate exhaust pipes, i wonder if you can combine them to one like you guys have done it.

thanks in advance
Yes, you should be able to do a similar mod to your 997 stock exhaust. In fact, about 18 months ago, a guy posted a pic of his modded 997 mufflers. Here is the pic. COmpart this one to the pic in the post above and you will see that the basic muffler design is very similar except that the exhaust pipe (to which the tips are attached) is longer on the 997 version.

I have not heard how this modidified version of a 997 muffler sounds, but doing this mod will allow the exhaust to by-pass the third chamber in the muffler which should make the sound louger. I hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2007, 03:36 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't listen to Gota911. He talks you into doing all sorts of questionable mods....and you end up really liking them. At his suggestion I did the mods to the 3.6L mufflers....and they are aggressive but not obnoxious....they growl when you get on them, but are mild at a stoplight or when floating the pedal at cruising speeds. No resonance at all.

Yep....watch out for Gota911!!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:24 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Don't listen to Gota911. He talks you into doing all sorts of questionable mods....and you end up really liking them. At his suggestion I did the mods to the 3.6L mufflers....and they are aggressive but not obnoxious....they growl when you get on them, but are mild at a stoplight or when floating the pedal at cruising speeds. No resonance at all.

Yep....watch out for Gota911!!
Chuck, isn't he the same guy that is always giving "Newbies" a hard time about not posting pics? Yeah, he is a real SOB!
Old 05-19-2007, 08:29 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cgng30

thanks in advance
CG - Are you going to give it a try?

Quick Reply: 3.4 stock exhaust cans...