Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just got the new car into the driveway and found this...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:10 PM
gdean2323
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got the new car into the driveway and found this...

Oil spots!

After a minor heart attack I starting to look for the culprit. It turned out to be a relatively easy thing to track down. Now, I'm not a mechanic, but this picture seems to scream RMS. That said, I did have a PPI done by a Porsche dealership, and specifically asked them about the RMS. They said it looked fine. So either they lied or its something that started in the 1000 mile drive home. Seems like a rather large amount of oil for a new leak.

So I have two questions:
1) I can not find any pictures of what a typical RMS leak looks so I am not 100% what I am looking at. Any suggestions/hints/advice?

2) If it is the RMS, should I fix it or should I wait until the clutch is gone? As far as I can tell the jury is still out on this one, but I'd like to see what the latest pulse of the RMS is.

UPDATE: 5-2-2006 thanks to some helpful advice I was able to get a better picutre of the RMS. It is definately not causing the leak. I'm thinking it might be the oil seperator, but would love to hear some more suggestions.
Attached Images   

Last edited by gdean2323; 05-02-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Grind
1st Gear

It could be the RMS and/or the Intermediate Shaft Seal. I just had both replaced under warranty on a 2002 C2 w/31,000 miles.

Grind
Old 04-30-2006, 11:18 PM
gdean2323
Intermediate

I use the term new loosely, as in new to me. its a 99 w/ 43k miles. I just read this:

"Indeed, many owners are moving away from the
prescribed Mobil 1 0040 lubricant to a more viscous
product, which functions perfectly well except in the
extreme conditions of persistent track or high-speed use.
Most of the 160,000 996 models sold worldwide lead
rather more sedate lives."

Has anyone tried this?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is what a typical RMS/IMS leak looks like:

Being that the image of your engine shows such a wet crankcase, it is more likely that it is an IMS leak rather than an RMS leak. The amount of oil on the case in your photo would suggest that this leak is more than 1000 miles old, or that seal replacement work was done, but done incorrectly. The IMS seal update has a little O ring that if improperly installed will leak a great quantity of oil very quickly.

You should inquire to see if this engine has had the IMS seal update done to it. As a side note, for your 99, you should also see if your coolant tank is the original one or if it has been updated. The coolant tanks in 99s are very prone to cracking and leaking.

As a side note, Those of you that are considering a used Porsche and are going to have a dealer do a PPI on the car, be sure to arrange to look under the car with the Technician to see for yourself if there are leaks.

PPIs are like Chimney inspections on home sales, they are sometimes just a paperwork formality with little if any inspection done, and a way for the "expert" to make a quick buck.

My opinion on the urgency to have this issue fixed, is that other than making a mess on your driveway, it will not harm anything. You might see if whoever you bought the vehicle from will provide any indemnification for this issue.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:32 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Here is what a typical RMS/IMS leak looks like:

Hey, Gary! I'll bet you were doubly pissed off the day you took that pic of your RMS leak: 1) RMS leak, and 2) (but more importantly) you weren't going to be able to eat dinner off of your engine that night!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

How the heck is it possible to keep the underside of your engine (and car) that clean? Tell us your secret!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

If it makes you feel better the day I picked my car up no oil leak, after a similar distance drive home, my RMS was leaking. I had it replaced a day or two later rather than wait for the clutch. I'm just not one to let a oil leak go. Just like when I'm bleeding, I find it best to stop the flow sooner rather than later.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to take the picture at a different angle to determine if it is RMS/IMS related. Take more the side looking up toward the engine along the sway bar and support I marked. The little arrow points up behind what is in your picture. That is where the signs of an RMS are (where the transmission housing meets the engine housing is where the oil leaks out).
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Had my 02 C4S RMS replaced recently with the latest 997 version, has anyone had this version fail?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I had mine replaced with the 997 version too and according to the dealer, they never have any problems with the 997 seal. I think it's still way too early to tell since the seal just came out late last year (or early this yr?). Just not enough miles to convince me yet...But either way RMS is not a big problem anyway unless the engine needs replacement. Just make sure they measure the "roundness" to be sure.

- Ahsai
Old 05-01-2006, 08:29 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are officially one of us..
Old 05-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

I've had leaks from both the oil separator and RMS. Oil separator was replaced about a year and 9K miles ago. RMS was replaced about 8 months and 7K miles ago with the new 997 seal. No issues whatsoever since.

So don't worry about it... and post info and pics of the car.

Welcome to the "nuthouse"

Old 05-01-2006, 10:32 PM
gdean2323
Intermediate

First of thanks for all of the input. I will post pictures of the actual car as soon as I clean it. Let me take a better picture of the RMS first, because that is going to drive me crazy until I know for sure where that oil is coming from.

The dealer that did my PPI said that the Oil Separator needed to be replaced. I have no idea what this even is.

1) Is it possible that the oil Separator could be causing this leak?
2) Where is the oil Separator located (above/below/adjacent to the RMS)?

You need to take the picture at a different angle to determine if it is RMS/IMS related
I will do that right now...expect a picture within 20 minutes
Old 05-01-2006, 11:04 PM
gdean2323
Intermediate

Here is a better view of the RMS. From what I can tell, it is not leaking?
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

From that picture it is not the RMS/IMS. The oil separator is on the top left front side of the engine and can leak oil as well. It is somewhat difficult to get at, but can be replaced.

Quick Reply: Just got the new car into the driveway and found this...