Sponsored by:

First porsche purchase - a little help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 01:06 AM
uglyhair
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First porsche purchase - a little help

I've finally gotten to the point in my life where a porsche is a reality and i'm tryng to do a little homework on what might be the best buy for me. I'm considering a used low mileage cab (1999 - 2002). I've found several out there for $40-$45k with low miles (20-40K) that seem pretty nice cars. However, and the thing that scares me a little on this car is some of the engine issues i've noted. Guys selling used cars with low miles, but a new engine. I've read briefly about the 1999 model change and the engine issues that have popped up. In doing this research, older 993 have come up and been discussed and seem to be more highly regarded in some ways.

Bottom line for me - i want some reliable that i can have for a while and not get eaten up by maintenance or problems. I know the 993 vs 996 are different in many ways (air vs. water, size, sound, etc), but i'm now a little confused at which way to go. The low milage 993s are holding their value and are close to low milage 996 models although they are "older."

Any thoughts or insight for an aspiring porsche owner is greatly appreciated. I like to be informed when i make big decisions and doing some research now appears to be the best thing i can do. I've also got test driving to do.

Thanks, Mike
Old 04-28-2006, 01:55 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

My best advice is to drive as many as you can, all models 993 and 996. After some time behind the wheel, you'll know what strikes your fancy, so to speak

Both 993 and 996 have their pros and cons, but the choice is completely subjective to each own. If you end up looking for a 996, best would be to get the latest model you can. Warranty will pay dividends later on.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:38 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with a 996 if you want lower maint and reliability. 993 is a much older design and age. Things like door latch break. An oil change is a 2+ hr job requiring fender liner removal. Unless you really like the 993 looks or you are into the air cool as you've always lusted one, get the 996.

996 has it's issues such as RMS, tranny, rattle. However, the cab esp is much better and modern compared to 993 cab which is really obsolete. 996 has a pop up roll bar for example that 993 doesn't. Get a CPO or one still in warranty if you are concerned about RMS. Most daily driven 996 do not suffer RMS. Garage queens tend to be victims.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:40 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Major changes to the '02 vs 99-01.

From the sales '02 brochure: ...headlight system derived from the 911 Turbo. More discreet is the careful reshaping of the front and rear fenders, bumpers and air dam. The result is 25% less lift in the front and 40% less lift at the rear for improved high speed stability.... Reinforcements to the body structure have resulted in a 25% increase in torsional rigidity for crisper response and enhanced agility. The standard 17" wheels weigh almost eight pounds less than the previous design, while the optional 18" wheels are lighter by over 24 pounds. The front air ducts have been reshaped to increase the flow of cooling air to the radiators by 15%"

You also get 20 more HP, a glove box, better cup holders and a glass rear window in the cab. I test drove a number of cars and spent a few $$ more for an '02. You could definitely tell the difference when you drive them back to back.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:44 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, I was in your shoes up until a few months ago. The adage that the newest 911 is the best 911 is true. With each iteration Porsche keeps what works well and improves everything else, its evolution at work. Unless there is a reason other than safety, reliability, performance e.g. cost, aesthetics, nostalgia, I would agree with everybody else and recommend a 996 (2002+ to be specific). At the time 993 prices were inflated and I had fewer choices in the market,so for me, the the cost benefit favored the 996.

As for reliability, the anecdotal evidence can skew the true picture, here is an objective article which puts things in perspective:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...e=post&id=3224

Good luck.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:27 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"better cup holders"

Sorry. Just had to laugh.

I know cup holders. These are not cup holders. They are dash obstructions.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:43 PM
uglyhair
5th Gear

Thanks for the input fellows. I test drove at 1995 cab last night and it was very clean on the outside and inside, but i do have to admit, the inside is pretty average. The drive was nice and the acceleration was there, but i'm think i'm leaning toward a 996 and i hope to test drive one this weekend.

I'll repost after the next test drive.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:07 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK...have to chim in...changes in the '02 from 99-01...

"Better cup holders..." Well I guess if you mean, IT HAS CUP HOLDERS, then yes, they are better. At least the 00 doesn't have them at all.

Oh, well I guess it has the option of 8 cups holders...if you select it.

That would be the driver (2 hands) and 3 passengers (another 6 hands)...total of 8.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:51 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to give advise on 993 vs 996 , truth be told they are both great cars, bot have their own issues. The only thing I will tell you is buy the newest you can afford, and what ever it is get a PPI.If i had my way I would own all years and models.The 996 is much cheaper and much easier to maintain. Good luck and post pics of what you get or Dell and Tim will get ya!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:51 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kilrgt
I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to give advise on 993 vs 996 , truth be told they are both great cars, bot have their own issues. The only thing I will tell you is buy the newest you can afford, and what ever it is get a PPI.If i had my way I would own all years and models.The 996 is much cheaper and much easier to maintain. Good luck and post pics of what you get or Dell and Tim will get ya!
Paul - you got that right!
Old 04-30-2006, 01:05 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe that it took until the 9th post for somebody to mention a PPI, and that only one person did!

That's the number one thing you need to do when purchasing a used Porsche. I wouldn't buy one without getting it done. It'll be the best $200-250 you ever spent and can save you thousands in repairs.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:26 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
"better cup holders"

Sorry. Just had to laugh.

I know cup holders. These are not cup holders. They are dash obstructions.

or coffee catapults; anything larger than a child size Starbucks in there and you're wearing your Latte!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:24 AM
uglyhair
5th Gear

Ok, so i think i've got it figured out and it is down to two different 1999 cars.

1. 1999 coupe with under 10000 miles - fully loaded, custom metalic porsche paint, porsche serviced, owner is a car buff who doesn't have time to drive it. Smells/looks new - $39500 firm.

2. 1999 cab with under 20000 miles - fully loaded, silver, blue top/interior, porsche serviced. Porsche fanatic who got got an 06 cab so this one has to go. Huge warranty still remains. Have not seen it in person, but based upon owner - a babied car. Price is low $40,000's

I'm leaning toward the cab as my first choice with the real selling point being the huge warranty. I'm hoping to finalize something this weekend and i'll post the picture of it if i can close the deal.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:48 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

how does huge warranty still remain? even if it's CPO it's out of warranty...

a lot of research suggests these super low mileage cars have more issues than more normally driven one (35-40k)
Old 05-03-2006, 11:05 PM
uglyhair
5th Gear

Hey Mark, the story goes the current owner bought an extended warranty when he bought the car used from a porsche dealer is 2002. I'm waiting to actually see the warranty and i know there are good ones and bad ones and i'm hopeful it is a good one.

Quick Reply: First porsche purchase - a little help