996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Got a call from Porsche last week...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 01:16 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got a call from Porsche last week...

The local dealer Service Mgr called to inform me that my VIN number had been identified with an "unacceptable number of check engine lights" ( I had about 3 episodes in the first 2 years, but nothing in quite a while- nearly a year). I will need to bring my car in for a "reprogramming" of the DME/Motronic which should take about 15". Anyone else received such a call? I think it is pretty damn good customer service that they are addressing this problem before the car is off warranty.
Doug
Old 06-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is an interesting TSB (dated October 2001). Seems Porsche was/is interested in DME reports. I would love to see these reports for my car.
----------------------------------------------

OBD II - New Report Submission Procedure All
0101 0335

Binder - Group 0
This bulletin supersedes bulletin 9801, dated 12-3-98.

10/05/01

New Format of OBD II Reports
Vehicle Type:
All

Model Year:
As of 1996 (T)

Concern:
New procedure for submission of OBD II reports

Information:

Whenever an OBD II equipped vehicle (model year 1996 and later) enters the workshop with the check engine light illuminated, an OBD II report must be generated before any work commences. Reports are required if the check engine light is illuminated, drive train replacements (engine and transmission), and driveability problems that do not illuminate the check engine light.

There are two report formats that will be accepted:
1. 993, 993 Turbo (ME 5.2 systems) - Manual selection of fault codes and actual values (as required previously). This printout starts with 1.0 in the work procedure.

2. Boxster, 996 and 996 Turbo (ME 5.2.2, ME7.2, and ME 7.8 systems) - The PST2 has the capability of creating an OBD II log (printout), which contains all the vehicle information, fault codes, and actual values. This report starts with step 2.0 in the work procedure.

It is essential that copies of the OBD II report be filed respectively.
^ One copy of the OBD II printout along with a completed cover sheet should be faxed or mailed to:

Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
980 Hammond Drive
Atlanta, Ga. 30328

Fax Number: (770) 290-3711
ATTN: Technical Services

^ A second copy should be kept in the vehicle service file.

^ If an emission part was replaced is and requested for testing by PCNA, attach a third copy to it.

Note: When compiling an OBDII report for Boxster, 996, and 996 Turbo, it is not necessary to duplicate the customer complaint and corrective action taken on the cover sheet. This is already included in the PST2 report.

Failure to submit a properly printed OBD II report will result in denial of the warranty claim, and the parts being returned.

All OBD II faults and associated information must be retrieved and printed using the Porsche System Tester 2. Use the following procedure to retrieve and print OBD II data. Do Not erase fault memory until a valid printout has been made!

Work Procedure:

The following PST2 keys are represented on the new keyboard as follows:

>>is now F12 (Continue)

>>is now F11 (Back)

Alt is now Print Screen (Print Menu)

Arrow up and down, left and right remains the same (Scroll / highlight to select)
1.0 Generating a Printout for 993, 993 Turbo (ME 5.2 systems).

1.1 Connect the keyboard and printer to the PSJ2 before turning it on. The new keyboard functions are indicated in parenthesis.

1.2 Connect the PST2 to the vehicle. Start engine. Switch on the PST2.

1.3 Select the appropriate vehicle. Press continue (F12) again to scan all control modules.

1.4 Extremely Important!! Any previously stored information in the work log must be deleted or it will be included with the current report. Press F6 ("Erase work log") key, and confirming with F7 ("Yes") and then (F12).

1.5 Select the "DME" control module and continue (F12) to the DME Function selection menu. Select "Vehicle data" and continue (F12). Press F4 to "Save". Go back (F11) to the DME Function selection menu.

1.6 Note: The engine must be idling without any consumers on, and at operating temperature. Select "Actual values", and continue with (F12). Using the cursor keys (arrows), select and highlight the following Actual values:

Range 1 Cylinder 1-3 (TRA)

Range 1 Cylinder 4-6 (TRA 2)

Range 2 Cylinder 1-3 (FRA)

Range 2 Cylinder 4-6 (FRA 2)

Oxygen sensing (FR)

Oxygen sensing (FR2)

Hot film MAF

Ambient pressure

When all eight of the above actual values have been selected, continue with (F12). Press F4 to "Save". Press the "Back" key (F11) twice to return to the DME Function selection menu.
1.7 Select "Fault memory", and continue with (F12). Press F4 to save a summary of all recorded faults. Next, verify that the first recorded fault is highlighted and then press F8. Now press F4 to "Save" the detail of the first recorded fault. Go "Back" with the (F11) key. Continue in the same manner until all fault details have been saved.

1.8 After all faults have been saved, connect the PST2 to a compatible printer. Print the "Working log" as follows: Press the "ALT" key. From the "Printout" menu, select "Working log". When "Working log" is highlighted, press the (F12) key. The printout will immediately follow.

1.9 Verify that the VIN printed on the printout is identical to that of the vehicle. Correct if necessary. Write the RO number and vehicle mileage in the upper right hand corner of the first page of the printout. This will assist with vehicle information if the cover sheet is lost.

2.0 Generating an OBDII log (printout) for Boxster, 996 and 996 Turbo (ME 5.2.2, ME7.2, and ME 7.8)

2.1 Connect the keyboard and printer to the PST2.

2.2 Connect the PST2 to the vehicle. Start engine. Switch on the PST2.

2.3 Extremely Important!! Any previously stored information in the OBDII log must be deleted or it will be included with the current report. You will be prompted to delete the OBDII log after it is selected (Step 2.7). Deleting the Working Log (F6) will not delete the OBDII log.

2.4 Note: The engine must be idling without any consumers on, and at operating temperature.

2.5 Press F5 (log button) and select OBDII log. Confirm with the (F12) button to start.

2.6 Read message and continue with (F12).

2.7 Press F8 to start the function.

2.8 You are now asked wether you want to delete the OBDII log. Select Yes (F7) then confirm with (F12).

2.9 You are now at the Warranty claim # screen. It is not necessary to input the number. Press the (F12) button to continue.

2.10 Enter the repair order number. Press the (F12) button to continue.

2.11 A control unit search will now be performed.

2.12 Enter the customer complaint, Press the (F12) button to continue.

2.13 Enter findings and fault cause (if they are known at this time). Press the (F12) button to continue.

2.14 Enter the affected / related components. Press the (F12) button to continue.

2.15 Enter fault recurrence (If the fault has come back). Press the (F12) button to continue.

2.16 The data is now determined. Press (F12) to continue.

Note: The data is automatically saved. Do not press the save button. Doing so will save a duplicate copy in the print menu causing the report to be printed out twice.

2.17 Print the OBDII log as follows: Press the (Print Screen) key. From the printout menu, select OBDII log. When OBDII log is highlighted, press the (F12) key. An OBDII preview is now displayed.

2.18 Press F5 to print.

Working Time:

Labor OperationTime Units Description

OBDII 099 30TU Complete OBDII printout with cover sheet as shown.
Submit to PC NA.
Old 06-29-2002, 04:43 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Seems like they could be looking for evidence of ECM or intake/MAF aftermarket " tweaking" - of course they will say they need to log OBDII data to appease the EPA !

Quick Reply: Got a call from Porsche last week...