Sponsored by:

Muffler Removal Help Needed....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 07:53 PM
speedyellow996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Muffler Removal Help Needed....

I need some help with directions on how to remove the mufflers.

Current status:
Backed the car on floor stands.
Removed the two bolts by the cats
Remove the nuts from the short and long nuts holding the muffler up, but I cant get the nuts out. Is there a trick to this, when I push them up I hit engine pieces long before they can be pulled out.

Any help would be great.

Matthew
2000 996 coupe
Old 03-16-2003, 08:02 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hahahaha that is funny I just changed out my mufflers last night and thought the same thing. If you look at those bolts that hold the mufflers and look like they don't come out, they are attached to the frame or whatever by three bolts inboard. You must use a 13mm socket and remove those, and the whole assymbly comes out, make sure to slide the clamps that hold the mufflers to the cats over away from the mufflers for more clearance for removal. They will then be loose. pull the muffler away from the mount - three bolt mount and then rock the tube out of the clamp. Once it is free and clear you can then lower it down. You shouldn't even have to jack it up to remove it but to drop it out you do. bring the end towards the car down first and then rock it back and forth and it comes out easy as pie. Once it is out you remove the hanger the long bolts from the mufflers, put them on the new mufflers, remove the flange for the tips, a real bitch! and then put the new hardware on the new muffler. Regarding the flange for the tip, it is easiest if you remove the bolt out, then use something to bend (spread it) to remove it. Make sure as hell you put it back on with the tips, albeit loosely before you put it back up in the car! Also make sure you point the bolts towards the car to make it easy to tighten them later! Otherwise have fun. Feel free to email me if you want help of call. 310 205 0703. Sean sreynolds3@attbi.com
Old 03-16-2003, 08:39 PM
speedyellow996
Intermediate

thanks for the help, one down one to go....

thanks again your way is much easier..

-Matthew
Old 03-16-2003, 09:49 PM
SPR
Drifting

I am glad that I could help you. I in fact got the help by reading and searching out some posts from the archives or else I would be stuck when I did mine as well, although I added quite a few things. Also it will be a bitch to get the tips straight. It took me 45 minutes! what you want to do is get them somewhat snug and then start adjusting by doing it in front of you. put it all the way down max distance from the top of the tip to the bumper then ease it in. When it looks good, walk about 10 ft back and look again. The main problem is that when you think you have them even the top will touch the bumper, and then when you have the gap at the top good they won't be even! Try that. When you are satisfied. Stick your thumb between the top of the tip and the bumper to feel the gap while tightening as it will move if you don't!!! It can be really nerve racking! Good luck.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:16 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

To expound upon what SPR has said, set it up so the tip clamp bolts are facing front and down at about a 30 degree angle, that way they can be adjusted from outside the fender with a long ratchet extention. Also the actual spec for the distance from the top of the tip to the top of the bumper groove is 25mm on a '99-01 996.
Enjoy! what kind of exhaust did you get??
Old 03-17-2003, 02:08 AM
SPR
Drifting

That is exactly what I was implying! I can't say about the exact spacing but if you follow how I finagled them it came out as good as it can get with the porsche oval optional tips
Old 03-17-2003, 12:01 PM
speedyellow996
Intermediate

Right now I will be install the GT3 by pass pipes, should have them in the next few days. Based on how load they car was coming off the tire stands it may be to load for me so I would either get the FABSpeed or Gemballa (The Gemballa is on sale at eBay for $1,049).

I have read a lot about each but have not made up my mind.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:30 PM
01'996C-24ME
Instructor

Wish I could have done mine myself..

Quick Reply: Muffler Removal Help Needed....