Sponsored by:

Gemballa vs Fabspeed Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 05:22 AM
Edward Kay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gemballa vs Fabspeed Exhaust

Ok. I have read nearly every 996 exhaust thread to date under search. I want to get more feedback and custom input comparing the two. At or near the same price (ebay, etc.), which is the way to go from a sound and power perspective?

Do we have any GOOD sound files of the two. I have the fabspeed off of the web site. Another web site I went to had both sounds, but they were of very low quality.

I am even more concerned by some reports of minor lost torque on the Fabspeed. Though it has been said to wait 300 miles or so for the computer to remap, I don't know if that always works according to some reports? I care about the sound. I never expected hp/torque. I DON'T, however, want to lose any. If Gemballa keeps me from doing this, I will go that route even though I just ordered fabs (I'll sell on ebay, etc.).

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:35 AM
Edward Kay
Advanced

By the way, I don't feel like having to spend another $800 on the unichip just to get back lost torque, hp, etc. I wonder which sounds more Ferrari like, classic Porsche air-cooled like, v8 hot rod like, boy racer/rice like, etc. Those descriptions may help in the decision. Joe says on his web site that the Fabspeed sounds like a Ferrari 355 at wide open throttle. That is a BOLD claim. I have no basis to judge it as of yet though.

I rented a Ferrari 348 Targa in Vegas for 24 hours a few weeks ago. I put several hundred miles on it! It had an exhaust note to die for at 7500 rpm (though I am sure the 355 and 360 are better). I guess there is no getting that sound. Maybe I can find something comparable. At least comparable in its own way.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:23 PM
Edward Kay
Advanced

I am going down in flames on this one!
Old 03-16-2003, 09:45 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got the gemballa on my c2. It sounds way better than the fabspeed in my opinion. I was told that it and the ruf are the only ones that don't lose torque and in fact was told that in conjunction with the bmc filter it will put out 20hp. From driving it about 100 miles already, I can say throttle response is better, it revs freer and a bit quicker, and it has a bit more torque lower down. It used to do nothing at around 2.5k going the hill by pepperdine, now it goes just fine and I don't have to downshift! Just my thoughts. Seat of the pants, I notice it, but I notice things many people wouldn't. Also concerning the fabspeed, I am told it looks pretty, but fitment can be a real hassle. I was told that they don't like to go in easy. as for my gemballa, I put it in myself last night, and it could not have been easier. I am very happy.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:54 PM
rumster
Advanced

I have the Fabspeed on my '03 C4S, however it has been on since new. I only have 850 miles so I cannot really say what the true sound is. . .I need to get the rpm's up. And I guess I also then cannot comment on loss of torque, although I am so far happy in this category.

It is pretty throaty and raspy even at startup and low rpms. Obviously, the more throttle, the sweeter the sound. I have floored the car in short bursts and have experienced no resonance and none of that "tinny" sound some exhaust mods produce.

I would not characterize it as a F355 at full throttle as it says on the website. I have heard a reasonable share of Ferrari products wide open--a 3.5 8 cylinder does not sound like a 3.6 flat-six. Like you, I find all of the sounds eminating from 8 cylinder Ferrari's simply awesome!

Good luck and enjoy! These tough decisions are the few that truly are enjoyable in life!
Old 03-17-2003, 04:36 PM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

hey go to the 996turbo forum and check there is a post on the fabs, great sound clips!

waz
Old 03-18-2003, 01:32 AM
KPV
Burning Brakes

You might try
<a href="http://www.europipe.be/1024/index_1024.htm" target="_blank">http://www.europipe.be/1024/index_1024.htm</a>
although i think they are only set up for the turbo.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:14 AM
boca996
Advanced

How difficult are the gemballa exhausts to install and what tools are needed? I currently have the factory installed exhausts.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Edward Kay
Advanced

This may not be a question that I can answer yet. SPR installed them himself though. My Gemballa exhaust is sitting in my living room right now. Looking at the exhaust, it does not appear too hard. Gemballa North America is blowing out some of their exhausts right now at awesome prices (50% off of list). They can be had for the same price as the Fabspeed. While the Fabspeed is a great exhaust, I always thought it was my only DECENT option down in this price range. Gemballa proved me wrong. I went with the Gemballa, because it has had many positive reviews about sound, performance, and lack of resonance. Fabspeed has many awesome reviews as well, but unlike Gemballa, a number of negative reviews in all three areas mentioned. You can search the archives both here and at funcarsonline.com to verify this.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:35 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

There is some good DIY exhaust install stuff here.
<a href="http://www.p-car.com" target="_blank">www.p-car.com</a>
Old 03-20-2003, 05:36 PM
SPR
Drifting

Hey boca it's pretty easy. I did it with just a 13mm socket and an end wrench, the lug nut tool from the tool kit, the factory jack, and a set of pliers to open up the clamp that holds the tips on. That was seriously it! pretty easy.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Edward Kay
Advanced

Alright. Now the Fabspeed (that I ordered first) just arrived. It is sitting in my living room next to the Gemballa. I have to admit that the Fabspeed is damn fine looking. Mirror finish and hidden weld marks or something. I think it wins the beauty contest if nothing else.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:59 AM
Darren911
Racer

SPR - no way can you get 20hp from that exhaust on a 996 non-turbo with a filter as well - like to seethat dyno sheet - not happening - on my 01 TT I only got 19 hp form an evo exhuast and filter replacement

You are getting more like 10-13HP
Old 03-24-2003, 05:25 PM
H20996
Intermediate

Everyone claims more HP! The only people that I know of that will actually stand behind their product is the guys at GHL! If you have ANY ! ANY doubts, just order a set, put it on, and test it!! If you're not happy, (Ya Right !) they will take it back.Period!... <a href="http://www.ghlmotorsports.com" target="_blank">www.ghlmotorsports.com</a> and they give Rennlisters a SPECIAL DEAL! That's my $.02 !!!
Old 03-24-2003, 09:25 PM
SPR
Drifting

believe what you want, I really don't care, that's just what I was told after a few dyno runs.

Quick Reply: Gemballa vs Fabspeed Exhaust