996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:41 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1200 for a MAF???? I'm a Boxster owner, so I guess I can't claim any knowledge, but that seems outrageous. As far as the N rated tires go,

Bro
Old 03-30-2006, 01:43 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Was this him?

Bro
Old 03-30-2006, 01:45 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Wow what a story. Just left you there, unbelievable. Wow.

Go figure.

With both Porsches I've bought, I've purchased one-way tickets and picked the cars up and it's worked out, but I suppose either of the deals could have gone south. But your story is amazing.

But I have to say, with that interior that would make Elvira, Mistress of the Dark vomit, I think you're better off....
Old 03-30-2006, 02:00 AM
krisd
Instructor

Originally Posted by dallasboats
monabaker, if I go turbo, I'll donate my car to your cause! It's not looking good though as I keep searching 355's. If that's the case, I'll have to keep the 911 as my primary secondary fun car! Good luck and take your time, it will come.
You should just rebadge your 996 as "Turbo", sounds like it might increase the resale value.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:44 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by krisd
You should just rebadge your 996 as "Turbo" , sounds like it might increase the resale value.
I wouldn't recommend that......... make it a "Turbo S"
Old 03-30-2006, 07:50 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Maybe in my old age I get a lot more cynical than others, but Baltimore is a fairly large city with lots of Porsche prospective buyers. If there's a "killer deal" available, why don't the local guys pick it up? The only time that I would travel a long distance for a car is if the car was the precise car that I had been searching for, i.e., equipped with the options and in the exterior and interior colors that I wanted. Actually a really low price is a turnoff for me.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:53 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Insane story!! Couple questions, did you check the VIN# when you first arrived, as the one on the site, is for a 1999 C4.
Based on the Carfax report, I wouldn't have touched it. The car has been through 4 owners and to AUCTION twice.

I would hit everyone with this story, especially the local TV/newspaper. At the very least, it will make you feel better if you keep someone from having the same problems. Also, it puts the local dealership in a very favorable light, so they might even take part. You might even want to notify Carfax, and see what they say.

Also, how could you buy a car from a place that looked like this....You have been dealt a pretty good lesson, that could have cost you a whole lot more, now learn from it!
http://pages.princegeorges.com/auto/autoshowcase.htm
Old 03-30-2006, 11:30 AM
JTSPO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 86NOH2O
If they advertised it as a C4, file a complaint with your local DMV for "bait and switch." I had an issue with a Stealer a few years back. Got no where with them for awhile. BBB has no teeth so are worthless. As soon as I sent copies of their advertisement to the DMV, it got resolved fairly quickly.
I would imagine if you still have proof you could get them in small claims. At some point though, you have to deal with "how much time is it worth to prove they are idiots?"

I hope you put the screws to them just for mankind in general!!!!!!!!!
Forget about the DMV, call the attorney general's office. they love this type of prosecution in a election year. Go for it. they totaly screw you over. did you ask for a carfax?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:37 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

undertheradar - I bought my 03 996 from these folks and I was satisfied with the deal and the condition of the car. They almost always have 911's in stock, including 3 turbo's and a 40th at the moment. When I visited on a Saturday and said I couldn't get a PPI until Tuesday, they just had me sign a waiver and gave me the keys.

I brought it back Tuesday night with 300+ additional miles on the odometer....and a check in hand. A good dealer will recognize a good buyer and cut you a lot of slack. A crappy dealer will treat you like you're a vagabond.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:44 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

This story reminds me a bit of my Jaguar eBay adventure... long story short, found a beautiful XK8 cabrio on fleabay, didn't win the auction (reserve) but called and negotiated a price, flew down the following week to get it... then he tells me "oops, I can't sell it to you at that price" and then "well, we don't have the title from Jaguar yet" and so I had him take me back to the airport. Fortunately he did not leave me stranded but he also never reimbursed me for my airfair as promised. Naturally I had not booked round-trip, so I had to pay full fare on the return flights, only about $500. I did get my down-payment back though, so in retrospect, I did much better than some folks.

I look at the whole thing as a learning experience, always book the flight as a round trip, and get the contract in writing before you leave.

And yes, if you can find a fellow Rennlister to check out the car first, even if it's just a walk-around, it's well worth it. I've done it for others, and I'm sure most guys (and gals) here would be happy to take a lunch hour to look over a car.

Michael
Old 03-30-2006, 12:02 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am sure there is an attorney on board who would love to send these people a love letter discussing DTPA - Deceptive Trade Practices Act and the consequences of such actions. That said - dude they did you a HUGE favor on this. Those wheels and that interior are just 10 kinds of wrong. I hate that you got screwed too btw. It shouldn't be that hard to get your deposit back especially if you used an AMEX for it.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:02 PM
monabaker
Pro

Actually, CARFAX was 100% clean. It just showed that it had been through several owners (4) and to auction twice.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:14 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
undertheradar - I bought my 03 996 from these folks and I was satisfied with the deal and the condition of the car. They almost always have 911's in stock, including 3 turbo's and a 40th at the moment. When I visited on a Saturday and said I couldn't get a PPI until Tuesday, they just had me sign a waiver and gave me the keys.

I brought it back Tuesday night with 300+ additional miles on the odometer....and a check in hand. A good dealer will recognize a good buyer and cut you a lot of slack. A crappy dealer will treat you like you're a vagabond.
Like gravedgr, I also bought my car from Select Luxury in Marietta, Ga. ("these folks" as noted in the quoted post immediately above). It was a good experience and the condition of the car was as good as in person as it appeared in the posted pics.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it just me? I have a real problem with cars that are sold at auction.

I keep on thinking that if they can't be sold through the normal channels (Private party, New, used car dealer) there must be something wrong with them.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:31 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred2
Is it just me? I have a real problem with cars that are sold at auction.

I keep on thinking that if they can't be sold through the normal channels (Private party, New, used car dealer) there must be something wrong with them.
most cars at auction are cars off leases....

Quick Reply: DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!