Sponsored by:

iPod interface - Neo iOn

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Dell:

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the reason that you don't have the engine whine is not because of the new RCA cable or the routing, it is because of the fact that you are using the iPods battery power and not the car's 12v system. By running the iPod on its battery, you have in effect, removed the ground loop. When I first got my iPod, I connected it to the radio in the way you described. I used a 89¢ RCA to mini-stereo plug cable, routed the way I currently have my current setup, and it worked fine. The battery was good for 4-6 hours of non-stop use. But I wanted to extend that run time, and to recharge the battery, so I have my current setup that uses the Belkin cable. The Radio Shack GLI in concert with taking power and ground from directly the radios sources reduces the whine, but does not totally eliminate it.

To totally remove the whine, someone needs to do some experimentation with tunable chokes on both the audio signal line as well as the power line to fine tune the noise out. This sort of stuff can be very difficult to do if you don't have the proper test equipment. For me, the other sounds in the car attenuate the whine to a level that is not noticeable.

So yes, if you want to run off of just the iPods battery, the ground loop whine will be eliminated, regardless of what audio cable is used or what is its routing.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Well then that is where we would have to disagree. At no point have I had a charger hooked up for my iPod. And yet there was still engine whine and an engine whine that OTHERS has experienced with the same hookup that I am talking about. By moving that cabling to a location away from a source of engine noise (ie, chasis behind the lower center console) the engine noise is thus removed.

So.....no rain on my parade. Very happy with what I have just installed and was passing on that knowledge and experience to those individuals that have the SAME configuration as I and want to know what to do to REMOVE the engine whine. Now, hooking up a power source is another animal and I have no need to constantly charge my iPod while in the car. A full charge from the docking station at home lasts several days of use in the car and I just bring the iPod in with me at the end of the day to charge and to update as well....especially since I upload daily podcasts.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Interesting. As I also experienced, and posted over two years ago is that just using the iPod on its battery will remove the ground loop and eliminate the whine. The only thing that is down at the base of the console is the airbag controller, so perhaps that is where you were getting your noise from.

On my battery only configuration, the RCA cable ran down the center of the console and exited at the ashtray, and I never had the ground loop whine. That is very interesting that you would have a ground loop with no power attached. All of the other complaints that I have read on this and other boards were configurations that used the cars power on the iPod.

But one moral of this story is that nothing beats having a good shielded cable for the audio.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:38 AM
krisd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not get the engine noise until I added the power source for the iPod. As far as the $200 goes, I am sure it is really not worth $200, but I also don't want to screw around trying to eliminate the engine noise and I also want to just keep the iPod in the console. I have tried not to determine the value of the mods for the car. I am afraid if I did I would never do anything to it other than drive it.

I will report back once I get the thing hooked up.

A bit off topic, but the best interface I have used for driving with the iPod is the Acura Musiclink. It adds voice tags to artists, albums and playlist on the iPod and then you can search by just listening to the names, it works great, you never have to take your eyes off the road. I find that having to use the display on the iPod is a distraction, so I generally just change tracks while driving with the Pcar. So it would be nice to have the option to direct access some play lists from the radio. I will just think of it as a $550 CD changer instead of the iPod + adaptor. Come to think of it, I have easily justified that cost in the past and it only had six disks! So I guess the price of the iPod adapter IS worth it. If I think about these things long enough I can justify the cost of anything!

Kris
Old 04-01-2006, 08:06 PM
NH911
Intermediate

Well, I got the $200 kit and installed it today. It is basically two wires, one from the radio to an adaptor and then the wire from the adaptor to the ipod. However, it doesn't work. It recognizes that the ipod is there but the radio won't swith to auxilary/cd changer mode. The ipod knows that it is plugged-in but the radio doesn't know that the ipod is plugged in. I even took it to a car audio installer and he couldn't figure it out. He did tell me I could get a new radio unit that has satelite radio and is ipod ready for $300 so I may go that route. It would have twice the wattage as the factory radio - looks like new speakers are not going to be too far behind.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:12 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NH911
Well, I got the $200 kit and installed it today. It is basically two wires, one from the radio to an adaptor and then the wire from the adaptor to the ipod. However, it doesn't work. It recognizes that the ipod is there but the radio won't swith to auxilary/cd changer mode. The ipod knows that it is plugged-in but the radio doesn't know that the ipod is plugged in. I even took it to a car audio installer and he couldn't figure it out. He did tell me I could get a new radio unit that has satelite radio and is ipod ready for $300 so I may go that route. It would have twice the wattage as the factory radio - looks like new speakers are not going to be too far behind.
Did you turn on "activate" the aux in on the head unit???
Old 04-02-2006, 10:03 AM
NH911
Intermediate

HOw do I turn on "activate" the aux in on the head unit? This might be the important step that I missed.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

One question:

Is this Neo device supposed to emulate a CD changer? Which connector does it plug into on the Radio? The top one and for all 3 sub connectors? If it is just for the 1st (blue) sub connector, then the AUX input needs to be enabled. To do that on a Becker CR220/CDR220 radio, you must access the "Service" menu.

1. turn on radio and hold down the "TP" button for about 8 seconds, until "becker 1" is displayed.

2. turn the tuning **** until "AUX off" is displayed.

3. press either button directly under the arrows to change the present setting from off to on. turn radio off, and then back on, the Aux audio input had now been activated.

This will only work if the radio does not see a CD changer or emulator plugged into the top radio connector.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2006, 09:12 PM
krisd
Instructor

I just received my adaptor today. I had ordered the Neo Ion adaptor, but received the Denison Ice Link. I believe they are basically the same thing, does anyone know for sure.

NH911 is this also what you received?

Also, does anyone have a copy or know the layout of the pins that come with the Becker Aux in plug. I am not sure what I did with mine and I want to add a phone input to the Denison plug.

Thanks,

Kris
Old 04-04-2006, 09:35 PM
NH911
Intermediate

That is what I received as well. It seems like a lot to pay for two wires and an adaptor. I haven't had time to reinstall it yet once I turned on the aux in. Let me know if it works for you.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:00 PM
krisd
Instructor

I plan to see how it works. It is not the same one they had described on their website. We will have to see how it works. I just hope the sound is good and the controls work fine. I do agree that the price seems pretty high for what was included in the box, but I have learned to justify the price of anything that I believe I want, sometimes it just takes longer to do!

Kris
Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You guys sure are making it easy for me to love my $16 solution from Becker! Now I am going to spend the extra $184 on my wife
Old 04-07-2006, 01:08 AM
krisd
Instructor

Well I tried to install a couple of nights ago with no luck. Plugged everything in, turned off the Aux-in disconnected power tried everything and could not get the CDC to show up as an input option. It would just switch between CD and AM/FM. Is there another menu on the Becker I am missing to enable the CDC input? It was my understanding if the CD Changer or iPod interface was plugged in the radio would recognize it and automatically enable the CDC input (provided the Aux-in was turned off). I call customer support at mp3yourcar and went through their standard list of trouble shooting questions and decided that the interface my be bad and are sending me a new unit.

Let me know if I am missing something on enabling the CDC input?

Thanks,

Kris
Old 04-07-2006, 08:00 AM
NH911
Intermediate

I'll have mine back from the shop todayfrom some other work. The AUx in is supposed to be turned "on" not off. THen thurn the radio off and back on again and it should be activated. ANd, I also understand that there are two inputs - one for aux and one for cd changer. I assume you would plug it into the aux in.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:12 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The becker unit does not recognize the AUX input automatically. It must be enabled. There are instructions with the becker mp3/cell phone input. I will have to look at home to find them. However, I think someone posted the instructions on Rennlist or Renntech. If I remember it involves the "tp" button.

EDIT: found the instrucutions.....hold down the "TP" button for about 8 seconds until "Becker 1" is displayed. Turn the tuning **** until "AUX off" is displayed, then use buttons under the arrows to turn AUX on. After you have done that, reboot the radio (turn it off and on) and now Aux will be displayed as an option under the CD menu.

Quick Reply: iPod interface - Neo iOn