New clutch/flywheel @2700?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 11:01 AM
mikey175
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch/flywheel @2700?!

To all --

Need a sanity check here...my '03 Targa with 30k miles is at the dealer who tells me, for a mere $2700, they can replace my clutch and flywheel. No argument that it needs to be replaced, but is this a reasonable cost?

Thanks, in advance.

-- M
Old 03-15-2006, 11:07 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Clutch and flywheel both? If that is the case then for $2700 you are getting it at a steal if in fact that is a dealer. I just had mine done at our local indy since the dealer wanted 2K for the clutch alone! I think my total bill was $2400. The damn flywheel is almost 1K in parts costs to begin with. Let's just say I wasn't to happy when I was in for ONLY a clutch and then got the call that I needed the flywheel as well. Needless to say I went down to take a look and it was fried. So my question to you is how do they know your flywheel is shot as well without even taking it apart???
Old 03-15-2006, 11:20 AM
gcohen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I had to have the clutch replaced on my 02 C4S at 30K. My bill was 2 grand. The dealer did say that I was lucky the flywheel didn't have to be replaced because it would have been alot more money.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:23 AM
mikey175
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
So my question to you is how do they know your flywheel is shot as well without even taking it apart???
Good question, I don't. This was the tech's recommendation, given how stiff the clutch pedal is.

-- M
Old 03-15-2006, 11:25 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid my indy $600 for my RMS seal he put in a new clutch and LW flywheel at the same time. I paid him $400 for a LW flywheel he had new sitting in his show room. It was ordered for another client that backed out. I called Sunsetand got the RMS parts and clutch kit another $380 or so. $1400 for RMS replacement, New Clutch and New LW Flywheel. No problems what so ever they know their stuff.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:26 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Unbelievable......for all we know, you could just have air in your line that needs bleeding. Could also be something as simple as you clutch slave going out. They are going to need to be a bit more specific with their diagnosis to you! And if they say your flywheel is in fact gone I would ask to see it when it is removed (but it's not like they couldn't just show you one from another job). It is a pricey part so just be sure. Also, you will want to make sure they replace the RMS with the newest seal while they are in there as well as new bolts, etc.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:27 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Damn Sandoval! I wish I could have got that deal when I did mine. Guess it just comes down to right place/right time. Smoking deal you got there.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:53 AM
JTSPO
Intermediate

Clutch and flywheel both? If that is the case then for $2700 you are getting it at a steal if in fact that is a dealer. I just had mine done at our local indy since the dealer wanted 2K for the clutch alone! I think my total bill was $2400. The damn flywheel is almost 1K in parts costs to begin with. Let's just say I wasn't to happy when I was in for ONLY a clutch and then got the call that I needed the flywheel as well. Needless to say I went down to take a look and it was fried. So my question to you is how do they know your flywheel is shot as well without even taking it apart???
A new clutch kit is about $700 parts and labor in California, so I won't call it a steal for $2G. Flywheel and clutch in 30K is highly suspect to me unless you do NHRA imitation all the time. why is it not covered by warranty?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

700? Where? The clutch kit alone is roughly $400. So you got it installed for $300 (2 hours labor)???

Book time on the clutch is something in the 8-10 hour range. And yes I realize that it "can" be done quicker than that but you pay book time not actual time.

As for the flywheel, it just depends on how you drive the car. But I do agree that it sounds suspect at 30K. My wife and I track the crap out of our car and we just replaced the clutch (and flywheel) for the first time and we are at 55K.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:58 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

But I do agree that it sounds suspect at 30K. My wife and I track the crap out of our car and we just replaced the clutch (and flywheel) for the first time and we are at 55K.
Dell, it's like I keep saying: it's less about the actual mileage and more about the type of mileage.

If somebody drives all day every day back and forth to work in stop and go traffic, that clutch is gonna go sooner than you can imagine, even if one does drive gingerly.

As for somebody who shifts into and out of first once, and then spends the rest of time shifting in just the higher gears on fast country roads for some serious fun, the clutch isn't going to suffer as much.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Good point Edward......clutch I can understand, but the flywheel as well? That would have to be some serious driving.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:42 PM
RAC
Racer

Originally Posted by SANDOVAL
I paid my indy $600 for my RMS seal he put in a new clutch and LW flywheel at the same time. I paid him $400 for a LW flywheel he had new sitting in his show room. It was ordered for another client that backed out. I called Sunsetand got the RMS parts and clutch kit another $380 or so. $1400 for RMS replacement, New Clutch and New LW Flywheel. No problems what so ever they know their stuff.
Poudre Sport Cars?
Old 03-15-2006, 02:05 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Good point Edward......clutch I can understand, but the flywheel as well? That would have to be some serious driving.
Indeed, like you, I am much suspicious of the flywheel replacement recommendation.

BTW, when you get to NC, you MUST drive the Blue Ridge Parkway in Spring. It is NOT to be missed.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I guess I will have to wait till Fall since we don't get there till June. Looking forward to it though!
Old 03-15-2006, 02:31 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutch yes, flywheel , at 27K?, I agree on what style of driving but, a flywheel at 27K does not sound right to me.Make them prove to you you need one.

Quick Reply: New clutch/flywheel @2700?!