996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First Post / First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Piccia
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John Holtz sales sucks - arrogant and unresponsive. Bought two Audis there. Service was ok, but then again, they were Audis so had free scheduled maintenance. Not a problem for you anymore since you're in NJ.

Nice car - right color, love the hardtop!
Old 03-10-2006, 02:39 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Car.

#3 I agree with the others. Drive it more often.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:54 AM
TCR
Addict
Rennlist Member

My '99 C4 came with the same stock rims.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:09 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Bob,

Welcome aboard, great to have another 996 on those Jersey roads...
Old 06-21-2006, 03:04 PM
vette67
Instructor

2000 Cab 4 here. Same wheels. I've got a problem with my gas gauge now too. I've been driving the car over a year so it's real obvious to me. The tank is definately full but the gauge is reading only about 3/4.

People have mentioned TSB 2066 but I can't find it on the net. Is there a list of these TSB's somewhere I can reference? And, if a TSB does apply to my model year, does that mean the dealer will fix it free even though the car is out of warranty?

TIA
Old 06-21-2006, 03:22 PM
jlb532
Instructor

Same issue here on a 99 C2, please post any findings!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vette67
And, if a TSB does apply to my model year, does that mean the dealer will fix it free even though the car is out of warranty?
Nope. The TSB is simply factory engineer's suggestions/recommendations for how to solve a problem or implement newer solutions to known conditions.
However, your dealer may goodwill the repair. I had TONS of work goodwilled on my old Boxster.

BTW, PCA autocross this weekend.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:47 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

OP (original poster): great car and nice photos. Now you should get yourself an agressive aerokit. Congratulations!

perfectlap: Whats the purpose of extra mirror you have installed on your windshield? Also, is that the Terracotta interior or the Boxster red?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2006, 03:50 PM
vette67
Instructor

Hey Kevin,

Yep I got the email. If you are going then I will go. I want to hear that PSE and see how much lower you look with RoW! Are you going for sure?

As far as goodwill goes, I don't see Jim Ellis doing anything that they can't overcharge for!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TSB's can be found on Renntech, but you must be a member to access them, and they are "view only".

There is a TSB #2015 dated 5/99 that addresses "Difficulty filling fuel tank" and "Running out of fuel due to incorrect fuel gauge reading".

Solution: "the routing of the flexible fuel hoses in the fuel tank must be modified. Additionally, on the 911 Carrera 4, it must be ensured that the jet pump end caps are in place and the connections for the two jet pump lines are properly connected." The TSB then provides instructions for this work.

As for the PCA AX Sunday, I am signed up, and planning to run.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:06 PM
BobK
Track Day

Actually it interesting this post came back to life. I just got the gas gauge fixed by the dealer last week, it works correctly now. I have no idea what they did, but mine was showing empty after 100 miles. So this time they said the computer was reading 2.2 gallons, and the gauge was indicating where 2.2 should be. I asked them to fill the car and see if they would get 14.7 gallons in the tank (I think its a 16.9 gallon tank), turns out it only took like 10 gallons. They kept the car another day and fixed the problem, but didn't indicate what it was. From what I have read on other posts, they have to recalibrate the computer level sensing equipment.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:13 AM
bmanke
2nd Gear

Default Gas Gauge Not Reading Full

My 2000 C4 had the somewhat infamous not reading full problem. Mine would only read 3/4. This is nothing to be scared of. I pulled the sender out cleaned the contact section which was dirty, adjusted the hoses inside the tank a bit and then installed the sender at just a slightly different positing so the float wouldn't hit the hoses. No special tools required and very easy to do. I was able to loosen the large nut by hand wearing a good pair of gloves.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:48 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Why bring up a 6 yr old post?
Don't you think they solved his problems long ago!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobK
So I have been lurking for a while since mid summer. I finally have reasonably good pictures of a freshly cleaned car. It's a CPO 2000 C4 Cab that I picked up in Rochester NY. I had a great time driving it back, although I got sunburned. I've done a couple of mods, the clear side markers, gauge rings, and a phatnoise instead of the CD changer. I'm attempting to install Sirius but I can't seem to get it nicely integrated into the console. I have a couple of newbie questions:

1) How quickly should the gas gauge indicate empty from a full tank? Mine is empty after 150 miles, but can be driven another 100 until it's really empty. The dealer says it's correct. Is it?
Probably answered already but the guages can go off when reconnecting a battery without a full tank. There is a procedure for recalibrating the thing which the dealer can do for money and a pain.

Do not top off the tank with extra gas till its near the top of the neck. You have to over fill to get a full reading when the gauge is off calibration. There's a tube that goes to a carbon filter that when extra gas gets to it sets off the check engine light (CEL) causing some fool valve to shut. Do a normal fill the tank till you have just one automatic shut off and stop there. You'll probably read between full and 3/4. Then figure 16 gallons at whatever gas mileage you get ending up something like 16 miles per gallon times 16gl = 256 miles till bone dry. Then getting 20 mpg it's 320 miles a tank. I figure filling up before 1/4 is good practice since stirring the bottom of the tank is bad news. So pretty much if the low gas light comes on then definately get gas.

The car can get pretty low mpg when playing around then turn into 20+ not racing around. I also think the dealer is full of it saying the guage is correct.

3) When the car is not driven for a while (2 - 3 weeks), is it common for the battery to go dead? I've had to push the car out of the garage with my wife at least 2 times. It was absolutely no fun at all.

No it isn't common. I'd suspect a sour battery from the dealer. If it already has a couple years on it scrap it and start fresh. Also if there is an audio amp make sure it turns off when the ignition is turned off. You can check to see if the amp turned off by feeling it for heat after the cars been off for an hour.

Bob
Nice car. Sorry to hear about the sunburn
Enjoy and have fun.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:19 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,896 Likes on 2,892 Posts

**before buying a new battery i would have your current battery tested...several people have posted that their battery drains after 2 weeks. this is not normal as i leave my car sitting for 5 weeks w/no battery drain.

there could very well be a short or something similar from someone messing with the wiring for stereo/alarm/etc..

Quick Reply: First Post / First Porsche