Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone have any experience with the OBD program that mimics PST2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^i'll be eager to hear the results.
There's no OPC in saskatchwan? what about a good independant?
Old 04-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I bought one a couple of months ago and have used it to analyze engine faults and clear airbag and seatbelt faults. I recently got a update of the software ( they notify you when updates are available and they are free) which stated the following:

"New features include:
Cayenne
DME (Motronic 7.1)
Tiptronic
Airbag
Steering Column Switch
PSM
PCM2
Kessy
Instrument Cluster
Gateway
Electrical System
Air Conditioning
Wiper
Transfer case

Boxster / 996
Tiptronic
DME Actual Values
DME Vehicle Information
ABS 5.3 Actual Values
Airbag Actual Values

DME (Motronic 5.2)

General Feature
Logging

Here are some of the things we are working on:
ABS 5.3 Bleeding the brakes for ABD/PSM
Enabling OBC (On Board Computer)
The rest of the 993 modules"

So they are continuing to add features and improve the functionality. I thinks it is a great tool, with future potential, and it only cost a little bit more than a GOOD quality OBD.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

does it let you check sensor values
what about those nifty bonus features liek 0-60, 1/4 mile, est HP and stuff
Old 04-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Haven't tried those, I will give it a try and let you know.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:10 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

I received my Durametric unit today.

I plugged it into my MacBook laptop running Bootcamp with Windows XP.

Plugged the other end into my 996 C4 - the plug is under the steering wheel on the left side - can't miss it.

I ran the program and found out that my "Check Engine Light" was due to:

DME 7.2 Selected
Fault codes for Motronic 7.2
Fault Number: P1130
Description: Factory Fault Code 361 - Oxygen sensing adaptation, idle range, bank 2

So that was a relief - no big deal.

I ran through the rest of it and found that My Porsche has been running for 2156 hours, and that it was over rev'd one time about 1900 hours ago. So that wasn't too bad!

My car has high mileage, but is in great shape 120,000 KM on the ODO. So you can figure out the average speed of the car through it's 2000 hours is something like 60Km/hr average speed - probably lots of commuter type hiway driving, unless my own 100 hours of driving has boosted the average speed that much!

I found that the ECU readings might not be all correct - temps are way out and other stuff like that - maybe due to the fact that I am running their software on a Macintosh beta "boot camp" software - I might try with a friend who has a PC laptop (which I would never want to have).

I found some other error codes for the alarm and air bag - but they are not triggering an idiot light on the dashboard. I'll check into those other errors some time - it's probably nothing much - but it'll get fixed if it needs anything.

I reset my "Check Engine" light - and that worked good!

Now I think I can probably drive to get my car checked out 450 Km away.

Was this tool worth it?

I like it - it's cool, and I was able to check what the "Check Engine" light means, so that's good for me out here with no Porsche dealer for miles.

Check over the data - I screen captured what I saw - except my original error code - which I forgot to capture before I erased it. You get a full text log every time you hook it up.

Documentation is sparse to none.

Anyone out there know what "Ignitions (Range 1)" are? I know range 2 are over - rev's, but there are no docs that I have found on what any of this stuff means.

Check the pictures and tell me if you see anything noteworthy.

I wish it could sync up my second key to the car - I guess the dealer has to do that operation for now. I also wish I could play with more functions, but I guess I am just happy to have cleared the check engine light!

Enjoy!
Old 04-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plant cool toy,
I wish I had a laptop, or a long extension cord, I would love to try that on the used Porsche I bought to see if it was over revved. I know the one I bought new has been babied
Old 04-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by plantraco
I wish it could sync up my second key to the car - I guess the dealer has to do that operation for now.
The inability to mate a key (immobilizer chip) to a car is not a hardware limitation. I have a good friend at an indy shop with a PST2. He can't do it, either. That is because such an action requires a car specific code that can only be obtained from PCNA. And PCNA will give that code only to a Porsche dealer.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:33 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

I think there would be some fun things you could do with an onboard computer and a 3 axis MEMS accellerometer, gyros and a GPS.

When I go to the dealer I would like to see a new Porsche with a videoscreen on the dashboard and see what fun you could have with that.

Does anyone have a Porsche with some good on board computer gear and timer etc? I seem to remember that Porsche actually sells some "chronograph" option of some kind - I'll look into that one.

I have always enjoyed the trip computer on my old BMW 5 series - I really liked the ETA feature for highway trips etc. Too bad my porsche doesn't have a trip computer.

Quick Reply: Anyone have any experience with the OBD program that mimics PST2?