Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone have any experience with the OBD program that mimics PST2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Patric F.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any experience with the OBD program that mimics PST2?

This appears to be a program that allows you to use your laptop to do the functions of the PST2. If this allows you to do as much as a VAG-COM does for Audi and VWs, I am in. Anyone have any experience with this particular product?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 03-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

That's very interesting. Thanks for posting. I think i'll pick one up and let you guys know how it is. You can never have too many tools at your disposal
Old 03-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Patric F.
Instructor

Default No problem on the post. Please let us know if it works.

Maybe we can arrange a group buy. If it works, I am in for one.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

ditto. ur the one in ohio..i'll leave that upto you
Old 03-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can I reprogram the engine and tune the "chip"?? just kidding..I want about 450HP!!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Ess_Three
Advanced

Originally Posted by Patric F.
Maybe we can arrange a group buy. If it works, I am in for one.
I'd be up for that...
It looks like a good product.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:34 PM
tx996cab
Track Day

Loren over at Renntech has been testing this for a while. Looks like it works as advertised so far. I think he's waiting for a couple more 'test' cars to finish his testing.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I bought one last week and just tried it today. I can tell you that it cleared my airbag light successfully, so it has almost paid for itself already (dealer wanted 1 hr at $149.00/hr. to clear it). It has the engine diagnostic (DME for motronic 5.2, 7.2 and 7.8), airbag, ABS Alarm, airconditioning and seat memory. It clears the airbag fault codes. It won't currently clear alarm codes. I am still experimenting with the others, but other than seat memory codes I came up clear. I think I left something unplugged on the seat memory when I added my heated seats. I know this is when I got the airbag code. I need to check the connections for the seat memory to be sure everything is ok, then I can try to clear the codes.

I also wanted to reset the mirrors so that the left mirror dips when in reverse, I had this set at the dealer a few years ago but lost it when I did the seats. Anyone in the Chicago area who wants to try it let me know.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Also the Seller, Durametric, says that as they add the additional features they will upgrade the software for all purchasers for free. Beats the heck out of the cost of a PST2
Old 03-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately after checking with them, the two fucntions that I wanted to control wouldn't work.

(1). Deactivate passenger airbag with the deactivatoin bar
(2). Turn on the OBC function so I can get an outside temp readout.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:32 AM
delirium
Racer

I dont get it, besides clearing the airbag light what does it do? Can it change my settings for how my doors automatically lock when I turn on the ignition? I dont get it...
Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

delirium, i doubt that it is any better than a really good OBDII scanner that can clear airbag lights. If they really are working on updated software for it, then you may see door lock programming in t he future. however, since it says it cannot change alarm settings, i doubt it (i'm assuming door locking would be part of alarm settings).

cheers
Old 03-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

I wonder if it allows you to cycle the brake system for a complete flush....
Old 04-25-2006, 11:00 PM
sobe964Targa
Banned

If you guys are interested I have a PST2 running on a laptop that I got from a shop that was closing. It has update 24 installed so it does everything for all models.

As to bleeding the brakes what model do you have? I know if you have 993 or 964 C4 you would need update no higher than version 19 as Porsche deleted the function from the PST2 in later updates to make room for the Carrera GT and Cayenne
Old 04-26-2006, 04:47 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

I just ordered the Durametrics unit.

http://www.durametric.com/

I have a 1999 C4 and the "check engine" light came on for the first time.

It's extremely dusty here in spring - so my guess is air filter or O2 sensor type stuff - the car runs fine as far as I can tell.

I have no dealer locally - the closest is about 450Km away actually, so this Durametrics tool will be good to play with for the few Porsche owners in Saskatchewan. After reading their website, I wish I had this tool before purchasing my car because you can use this code reader to tell a little bit about the history of the Porsche. For example, you can tell if the car has been redlined in the last little while, and how many hours the car has been used, and the average speed as compared to the mileage.

My car is in great shape, but it would have been good insurance to have been able to jack into the cars computers before making the deal. If you are buying a used Porsche, I think this software would be very good to have. The price is appropriate and realistic - it's just reading memory off of a microprocessor - computers are good at that, and it's not worth $3000.00 for a genuine PST2 from Porsche I don't think.

If I worked at Porsche, you'd have a bluetooth module permanently installed in every Porsche (no hoses to connect) and any laptop could be loaded with free software that would link straight to your mechanic over the internet! The full history of the car could be tracked if the owner wanted it to be - not too hard to do that actually.

Anyways, I am very happy to have found out about this thing right here on the Rennlist! This forum has helped me a few times now - so keep posting the useful information for guys like me who want to learn more about care and feeding of Porsches.

I ordered the unit overnight - so maybe I'll have results by Friday and let you know how this thing works. I am better with computers than with auto repairs - can you tell? Thanks to Rennlist for this! Maybe I don't have to drive to Calgary or Edmonton for this check engine light after all - let's hope!

Quick Reply: Anyone have any experience with the OBD program that mimics PST2?