Sponsored by:

Car seats in 02 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 03:37 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Car seats in 02 Cab

When I bought the car I put the car seats in the back to make sure that they fit...they did. I did not actualy install them though. I went to put one in last week and tried to find the LATCH anchor. The manual show a diagram on a coupe and lists it as being behind the seat...I can not find it on my Cab. Are they in different places? Anyone hook up the car seat in a Cab?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not sure the Cabriolet's have a rear anchor.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:12 PM
woody-77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I know there are no LATCH anchors in the back off the US model cabriolet, for some reason I remember reading that the Canadian model cab does have LATCH anchors, but I could be wrong.

I couldn't find any in my cabriolet when I tried to install a car seat.

I think the only way to secure a car seat is with the seatbelt but I could never get mine to lock in the back seat so my kid doesn't get a ride.

If anyone has any info on how to get the seatbelt to lock in the back seat please post, I'm all ears!
Old 02-28-2006, 05:34 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Woody, I still can't find the LATCH anchor; however, you should be able to get the seat to lock in by using the locking clip that came with your car seat. It is a piece of metal that the seat belt threads through after it goes through the seat and before the seat belt clips in. It is usualy on the back of the seat and just pulls off. You can get it pretty tight. I would still feel much more comfortable if the top was teatherd with the anchor. Hopefully someone will chime in as I have seen others post the use of car seats before.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:39 PM
woody-77
Racer

Originally Posted by jsaindc
Woody, I still can't find the LATCH anchor; however, you should be able to get the seat to lock in by using the locking clip that came with your car seat. It is a piece of metal that the seat belt threads through after it goes through the seat and before the seat belt clips in. It is usualy on the back of the seat and just pulls off. You can get it pretty tight. I would still feel much more comfortable if the top was teatherd with the anchor. Hopefully someone will chime in as I have seen others post the use of car seats before.
Good deal, thanks for the info. I will see if I can get the seat belt to lock with the clips and yes, it would be great to find some sort of LATCH anchor for the top of the seat. Maybe we can hook it to the bumper!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 AM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default LATCH anchors on 2002 C4S Coupe?

Anybody use a child seat in a 2002 C4S? I'm about to pick one up and would like to know if the LATCH anchors are factory installed, or if I need to get the dealer to install.
Thx!
Old 05-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Jim,

If you pull the seat belt out all th eway it goes into "ratchet" mode and locks in place as it retracts. This lets you snug the whole kid seat in nice and tight using the 3 point.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:25 AM
joesmoe
Instructor

+1 with what Paul said. I have an 02 cab, and it has no latch, you have to use the seat belts. I have 2 little ones ages 3 and 1 and I put both seats in the back

My suggestion is to put your weight/knee on the seat when you pull and tighten the seatbelt, then pull the belt all the way out until it clicks. You will then hear the belt clicking as you let it retract.

These are child seats, not toddler/booster seats that others put in. There are some cheap todd/boost seats that fit in nicely, but then you have to use the regular seat belt to hold the kids in.

If you put child seats like I do, they barely fit in, as they are wider, so make sure its good and tight. I find that they are still loose, and that the bottom of the seat will slide out a bit regardless of how tight the seat is. Make sure its slid back in so you can have a bit more leg room when adjusting your seat.

I will say that its not the most comfortable for the child or the driver/passenger as our seats have to be adjusted for their leg room.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:04 AM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

check with your Porsche dealership. If the latch is available on Canadian model cars for that year, possibly it's a cheap retrofit kit that you can purchase.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

There are no latches on the cab (at least not for US models). You will only be able to use the seatbelt, but it works just as wel, just a bit more effort. There are several posts on car seats, try a search as there are some things to consider:

Remove the rear seats if you wan the passenger to have any leg room. The bottom and lumbar pad are only attached with velcro. The back seat squab is a torx screw on each outside with a larger one for both in the center. Total job takes about 10-15 minutes tops. This will allow for more leg room as well as more room for the car seat.

Not all car seats fit well or properly, so it pays to listen to those who have had some success. I have a Britex Roundabout which fits perfectly. I placed a towel that matches the carpet underneath and removed the swivel base.

The seatbelt will ratchet as stated above once pulled out all the way. Insert the seat, pull the belt out as far as it will go, run it through the seat per instructions, and insert into receptacle. Now put some weight in the seat (your knee) and let the belt slowly retract until the seat is tight.

Good luck, it's not bad if you have the right seat. Regardless, the passenger will lose some room.

Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2011, 12:05 AM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

Thank u DFC. I just got a 99 996 cabriolet and your post was extremely helpful. I had the same seat in my wife's car, so seeing you had done this, I just followed your guidance. Only hard thing was getting the swivel base off, but managed to do it.

Thanks again
Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 PM
tdurden032
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great info guys thank you!!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Meares
Racer

i just bought a car seat for my 4 yr old from porsche...it's a front seat; forward facing seat....i have an 03 coupe...there is a special seat belt attachment that comes with the Junior car seat...it attaches at the front base of the seat and goes down between their legs to the latch that the dealer installs, that is bolted to the seat frame...works great....had it for 2 months now

Quick Reply: Car seats in 02 Cab