Sponsored by:

LOOK OUT, Walter's Porsche, Riverside, CA

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:33 AM
JTSPO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOK OUT, Walter's Porsche, Riverside, CA

Went in for a warranty job. piled on a new clutch while it was in there. Worst part. my 996 was scratched while under their care.

They said they will fix it, and now I went to local reputable body shop and it was not done right. I ended up with a $1600 bill that Walter nicely refuse to pay.

They are nice in the way the doormen in Beverely Hills are. Not recommended. Let me be the one to admit that I was an idiot to give my car to their service department. I don't need you to tell me how nicely they took care of you when things are hunky-dory. I know what happened to me and all I need is whoever bother to read this to know what happen so that you keep that in mind. look out!
not bitter tho, small claims is what it takes.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:05 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a bad experience there...I am African American and I was looking to buy my first porsche CASH about 4 or 5 years ago. I called them and they had a Boxster that sounded perfect. I had already been to Newport Porsche (which is where I bought the car) and had an idea of what a comparable car was going for. This one was even better spec'd and was cheaper. I made the hour drive to Riverside and the salesman I spoke with wasnt there. Hmmm.....So I stood out there in the hot sun for about an hour....about 3 different sales people asked if I was being helped...I said no, and they all said, lemme get someone....but no one ever came. THERE WAS NOT ANOTHER CUSTOMER ON THE LOT. I just stood there next to the car I THOUGHT we had JUST talked about on the phone. When someone FINALLY came to talk to me, they said, oh no, thats not the car...That one is 10k more than the one you are talking about...I said huh? This is the same year, same options and even has the SAME mileage.....I told them I had JUST talked to someone before I drove out there. they said oh...that one was sold just before you got here. This one is what we have....I asked to drive it and the salesman AGAIN disappeared. After waiting for another 20 minutes ALONE on the lot, I left. I called the sales manager and told him about it. He said, to come back and drive the car. I said, make it worth my while, and he said, I WILL NOT budge on any sticker price. ON ANY CAR ON THE LOT. They CLEARLY didnt want my cash...Newport got it and treated me right. I'll never go back to Walters.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:10 AM
delirium
Racer

Yikes, thanks for the heads up guys! I have heard that Newport is not too good either, when it comes to service & knowing what they ar edoing.. or their honesty...

Sounds like Circle imports, and Rusnak are the ones to go to.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:14 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

You know....Newport WAS great.....They changed management and became a POWER company....most of the salesman left. I went back to buy my Carrera, and had a TERRIBLE negotiating experience. I found a Carrera at McKenna, and have had an pretty good experience. The service department has been great and taken care of the car wonderfully.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

I went to Walters to check out the 997's when the first came out - the salesman followed me around and kept barking orders to my son (5 at the time) - "Don't touch", "Look out", "Leave that alone".

I had the best experience at McKenna - good service, good sales, more down to earth than the others.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:13 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by newport996
I had a bad experience there...I am African American and I was looking to buy my first porsche CASH about 4 or 5 years ago. I called them and they had a Boxster that sounded perfect. I had already been to Newport Porsche (which is where I bought the car) and had an idea of what a comparable car was going for. This one was even better spec'd and was cheaper. I made the hour drive to Riverside and the salesman I spoke with wasnt there. Hmmm.....So I stood out there in the hot sun for about an hour....about 3 different sales people asked if I was being helped...I said no, and they all said, lemme get someone....but no one ever came. THERE WAS NOT ANOTHER CUSTOMER ON THE LOT. I just stood there next to the car I THOUGHT we had JUST talked about on the phone. When someone FINALLY came to talk to me, they said, oh no, thats not the car...That one is 10k more than the one you are talking about...I said huh? This is the same year, same options and even has the SAME mileage.....I told them I had JUST talked to someone before I drove out there. they said oh...that one was sold just before you got here. This one is what we have....I asked to drive it and the salesman AGAIN disappeared. After waiting for another 20 minutes ALONE on the lot, I left. I called the sales manager and told him about it. He said, to come back and drive the car. I said, make it worth my while, and he said, I WILL NOT budge on any sticker price. ON ANY CAR ON THE LOT. They CLEARLY didnt want my cash...Newport got it and treated me right. I'll never go back to Walters.
You should have waved the cash you had in their faces, let them smell it for a second and then leave.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:32 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

That's two dealers I won't be giving my business to (Newport Auto is the other). I had a poor service experience there. Are there any decent Porsche dealers/service dept's in the So Cal area?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:47 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

McKenna is good....I have also heard good things about Pacific.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:11 PM
4s
Instructor

Looked at some cars at Walters and they all seemed to be in just poor shape. The inside was all dirty with fingerprints all over the place. They just didn't seem to care to much about the condition of the cars they sold. A friend called them about a car they had listed on their website that he was interested in buying. He drove almost 2 hours to go see it and when he got there it had "just been sold", just like wha thappened to newport996. But they did have another one which was very similar for more money if he was interested. Obviously he said no way. Very fishy if you ask me.
Bought my car finally from Newport Auto and have to say that I will NEVER go back there again. They have no idea what they are doing. No customer service what so ever. Everything changes once you sign the papers.
Circle isn't much better though.
The only good ones around from what I hear are McKenna and Hoen. Don't know about Pacific.
Anyone know of a good service guy at either of them?
Whats with all these dealers? Don't they understand they are just loosing out on future sales?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by newport996
That's a disturbing story to say the least. My wife and I had a similar story when we went to buy a Range Rover... finally I said "I'm not going to beg you assclowns to take my money." we left and bought a Lexus. Cya!
Old 02-28-2006, 03:37 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Man it seems like the Cali people have the most corrupt car dealerships in the states. I find BMW owners saying the same thing about BMW dealers in California. Lots of Californians looking for BMW fo to Vegas or Arizona to get them.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:35 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by slaaw
That's two dealers I won't be giving my business to (Newport Auto is the other). I had a poor service experience there. Are there any decent Porsche dealers/service dept's in the So Cal area?
The only one I know of is in my garage. Bummer is, I dont offer loaners
Old 02-28-2006, 04:43 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

blk on blk,
I think you're on to something. In SoCal, it's tough to find competent customer-service oriented dealerships. Having lived in Chicago for 5 years, Dallas for 5 years, and now LA (for the last year) and buying 2 BMW's, 1 Lexus, 1 Range Rover, and 1 Porsche during that time, I've found it most difficult to get good customer service (with the sales and service departments) in LA. My statement is based on my personal experiences as well as what I've heard from others.

I am African-American (previously known as "black") as well and have been ignored and/or received more bad service in one year of living in LA than in the 10 years I lived in Chicago and Dallas. For the record, I don't think all of my experiences are based on race, some of my experiences have been with equal opportunity jerks who are just arrogant and/or incompetent. However, some of my other experiences are questionable. When you're the only black guy around and you're being ignored while others are receiving attention, one's eyebrows are raised.

In contrast, I was pampered in Dallas. Competent staff, free loaner cars (even if I purhased my car from another dealer), free tech inspections for track events, reasonable prices for non-warranty work, sales people who didn't try to rake me over the coals, etc. etc. etc. Chicago was alright. A 50/50 mix of good and bad experiences. In LA, I feel as though I'm looking for a needle in a haystack.

I spent some time at McKenna in Pasedana over the Chirstmas holidays just kicking the tires and checking out the Cayman and felt pretty good about them. The next time I need service or plan to buy a car, I'm going to call them first..... even though I have to drive past 3 other Porsche dealers to get there.

Last edited by LiveNupe; 02-28-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:24 PM
mc_sahib32
Advanced

LiveNupe,

Mckenna is near cerrito, Rusnak is in Pasadena.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

mc,
Thanks for the correction. I meant Rusnak.

Quick Reply: LOOK OUT, Walter's Porsche, Riverside, CA