Sponsored by:

Please show me some pics of black wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:48 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please show me some pics of black wheels

I just got another set of new wheels. They are 18s this time though instead of 19s. They are the BSAs you have seen floating around ebay and I think Sandoval has a set. I plan on putting my R compounds on there for race day. Anyway, I want to powder coat the centers black and either but I cant decide on the lip. Should I leave it brushed? Get it polished like my other ones? Or just go for the full black? Which would you pick?

Please help me out by posting pics of your black wheels...
Old 02-24-2006, 08:54 PM
c4bliss
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how are those wheels by the way? ive been also watching some sets on ebay, those being one of them as a extra set. hows the quality?
Old 02-24-2006, 08:56 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I was doing some fitting of the wheels on my build, and took some pics for the 928 forum. Maybe not YOUR cars, but gives a good idea of a dark wheel on a dark car.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:07 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

The quality looks good as far as I can tell. I have the ones that are painted black. For $700 you can't beat it. They are cast but only weigh 23/25lbs which is huge. I think that's lighter than stock turbo looks right? I'm happy with them for a 3rd set. Basically they make a great track wheel. The back lip is actually pretty fat and I think they'll look nice after I visit the powdercoat guy. I'm interested to see how the offset works out. The stockers are tucked way in.

Originally Posted by c4bliss
how are those wheels by the way? ive been also watching some sets on ebay, those being one of them as a extra set. hows the quality?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

For sale
Old 02-25-2006, 01:01 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool I'd go with the black.

Here's a couple of pix...not a silver car though..
Attached Images   
Old 02-25-2006, 01:33 AM
bowmanm98
Racer

Thanks bro, that's exactly what I was hoping to see. I like those with the brushed lip and black spokes. When you're rolling it looks great I bet. Off to Vegas...
Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Here's a couple of pix...not a silver car though..
Old 02-25-2006, 08:13 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Bowmanm98 - I would do the polished lips like Carrera Mike's wheels. The all black look ends up making the wheels & tires one big black blob. No contrast, nothing to separate wheel & tire, not a good look, IMO.

Below is a quick and dirty photoshop of Carerra Mike's pic with all black rims. This version does not look nearly as good as Mike's "original" pic, IMO.
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2006, 10:09 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

My silver Carrera. Sorry for the camera phone shot, it has 18 inch techart formulas on it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2006, 11:34 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are going to use them for the track....you need to paint instead of powdercoat. The process used differs greatly and powdercoating (while more durable) can creat an unsafe situation (weaker metal from the heating process).

Powder=Street Bling
Paint=Track Bling
Old 02-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

THAT IS ONE RESERVATION i HAd, THATs WHY i HAD MINE PAINTED INSTEAD. i WAS A LITLLE BIT LEARY THAT the heating process or an amateur tech might over heat the metal and weaken its integrity with the powder coating process. I heard that they heta it up to 400~450 F for 20 mins. A couple of my engineer friends said as long as they follow this, it should be ok 'cause its not the temp range for the metal to start changing its properties. A reputable shop www.afipowder.com of piqua OH is the sub-contractor for Forgeline(I think). I spoke with them and guranteed the structural integrity of the wheel. From all the info I gathered around, as long as the shop who does it is an expert, it should be no worries.

I had mine painted with the toughest black paint and clear coat available in the market. Don't ask me what it is 'cause I had the paint shop pick it for me I seperated the center spokes from the rims myself using a "triple square" bit that fits BBS titanium bolts. These OEM 2-piece Sports Design Porsche wheels are made by BBS. I cleaned, polished(10 hrs of work)the rim lips and had them clear coated with that tough clear coat for protection.

**Note: Since they're aluminum alloys, if you leave the metal break dust settled on unprotected polished surface for weeks, the disimilar metal will start corroding and start etching the polished surface. Thats why I chosed not to leave it polished bare and clear coated the rims instead.. plus I don't have the motivation to clean the wheel THOROUGHLY all the time.

Torque value to the bolts is 145 in lbs. Cross torqued in progressing value to 145 IN-lbs... for those intersted.

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 02-25-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:21 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
The quality looks good as far as I can tell. I have the ones that are painted black. For $700 you can't beat it. They are cast but only weigh 23/25lbs which is huge. I think that's lighter than stock turbo looks right? I'm happy with them for a 3rd set. Basically they make a great track wheel. The back lip is actually pretty fat and I think they'll look nice after I visit the powdercoat guy. I'm interested to see how the offset works out. The stockers are tucked way in.
no, the stock turbo twist weigh about the same and carrera lightweights are a couple of pounds lighter
Old 02-27-2006, 02:55 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BredanC love the 928 and from the looks of it you are making it better than new...don't like the black rims on a 928...but love the one one the yellow P with the alu lips.....wish my wife was into them..so I could make my P complete!!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:22 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
I spoke with them and guranteed the structural integrity of the wheel.
How can they guarantee structural integrity? Confidence in the process or did they XRay the wheel?

Last edited by LiveNupe; 02-27-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:07 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
BrendanC love the 928 and from the looks of it you are making it better than new...don't like the black rims on a 928...
Thanks. Its a hit or miss with people. Its a 993 Metallic Black color, so not all-black. It sets off in the sun a bit so I think it will be okay. The 928 will be a "new" 78 essentially.

I do think pictures many times will not catch the black metallic colors.

But yes, the yellow and black colors are great.

Quick Reply: Please show me some pics of black wheels