Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Feb Total 911 Mag article (TOTAL RICE!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 04:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Feb Total 911 Mag article (TOTAL RICE!!!)

Let me preface this by saying that I thoroughly enjoy reading Total 911 but the most recent issue I picked up (Feb 2006 with Red 997 on front) has me puzzled exactly what they are trying to publish and who exactly they are catering to.

Case in point. There is an article on p.72 called GT3 Lookalike. Basically it is a pre facelft C2 (1998 model year) that was given an 02+ facelift with aero and had a GT3 badge slapped on the back.

First of, the article talks about (down to) the boy ricer crowd and how those ricer cars are nothing more than all show and no go. But after reading the article and seeing the pictures, this facelifted 1998 C2 is nothing more than RICE as they define it.....all show and NO GO!

They put on the aero front sans splitter, aero sides, replica fiberglass rear wing to cut costs, lowered ONLY the front 20mm, added 19" bling wheels, 997 side mirrors, 996 turbo tips, and then slapped a POSER-ESQUE set of badges......GT3 center caps on the wheels and a GT3 badge on the rear. This car is not a GT3 lookalike but rather a 996 facelift with aero lookalike. NOTHING was done to the engine.

Had the owner of this car just put a 911 badge or a Carrera badge (or de-badged it) it might not get the poser and rice label. And the funniest part of the entire article is they claim the owner likes the way a GT3 looks but can't afford it nor like the way they ride.....basically a car they would NEVER buy, yet create this pile of rice???

Why in the world is Total 911 running articles like this? Waste of space in my opinion and belongs in the very mags that they put down at the beginnig of the article like "Max Power Magazine".

O.K., off my soapbox now. Actually I think this my rationale for this post is a combo between this article and a very LACKLUSTER article on the 993 v. 996 article last month that they obviously didn't proof b/c it is riddled with errors (which I will not even start to list unless this thread heads that direction).
Old 02-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
... very LACKLUSTER article on the 993 v. 996 article last month that they obviously didn't proof b/c it is riddled with errors (which I will not even start to list unless this thread heads that direction).
Dell: I'll chime on this one... I totally agree last month's 993 vs. 996 article didn't prove anything other than confirming the bias the author and editor have towards the 993. I could have gone to the 993 forum and gotten the same feedback for free.

IMHO both the 993 and 996 are wonderful cars, heck they are Porsches, what else could anyone want?!?. But they are different vehicles with different souls, and in many respects fit similar and yet different purposes. It is in this context that a reasonable comparison should be based on. Not the approach the author pursued. And in addition they compared a late model 993S vs. an early model 996. They should have used a 996 40th Anniversary, in the comparison. That is probably the closest vehicle to a "996S", if a vehicle with such nomenclature had been produced.

I haven't purchased the Feb '06 issue, I'll probably glance at it and measure the "rice" content. If it's too much that issue is staying on the rack.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Let me preface this by saying that I thoroughly enjoy reading Total 911 but the most recent issue I picked up (Feb 2006 with Red 997 on front) has me puzzled exactly what they are trying to publish and who exactly they are catering to.

Case in point. There is an article on p.72 called GT3 Lookalike. Basically it is a pre facelft C2 (1998 model year) that was given an 02+ facelift with aero and had a GT3 badge slapped on the back.

First of, the article talks about (down to) the boy ricer crowd and how those ricer cars are nothing more than all show and no go. But after reading the article and seeing the pictures, this facelifted 1998 C2 is nothing more than RICE as they define it.....all show and NO GO!

They put on the aero front sans splitter, aero sides, replica fiberglass rear wing to cut costs, lowered ONLY the front 20mm, added 19" bling wheels, 997 side mirrors, 996 turbo tips, and then slapped a POSER-ESQUE set of badges......GT3 center caps on the wheels and a GT3 badge on the rear. This car is not a GT3 lookalike but rather a 996 facelift with aero lookalike. NOTHING was done to the engine.

Had the owner of this car just put a 911 badge or a Carrera badge (or de-badged it) it might not get the poser and rice label. And the funniest part of the entire article is they claim the owner likes the way a GT3 looks but can't afford it nor like the way they ride.....basically a car they would NEVER buy, yet create this pile of rice???

Why in the world is Total 911 running articles like this? Waste of space in my opinion and belongs in the very mags that they put down at the beginnig of the article like "Max Power Magazine".

O.K., off my soapbox now. Actually I think this my rationale for this post is a combo between this article and a very LACKLUSTER article on the 993 v. 996 article last month that they obviously didn't proof b/c it is riddled with errors (which I will not even start to list unless this thread heads that direction).

Dell, I agree. I've got a subscription and I like some of the articles, but others leave a lot to be desired. The 996 vs. 993 article was particularly biased.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:33 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Dell, I agree. I've got a subscription and I like some of the articles, but others leave a lot to be desired. The 996 vs. 993 article was particularly biased.
did they even compare 964vs993 when 993 just came out?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:36 PM
HenryM
Advanced

In general I like Total 911 and buy it monthly. The fake GT3 article was a little tacky but the lead article on the 997 sounded like it was written by the Porsche Marketing Machine. It certainly wasn't what I expected based on the general style of the magazine.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pl
did they even compare 964vs993 when 993 just came out?
It's a brand new magazine. They have only been publishing a few months.

I just thought of another story that was weak, the 996 "conversion" to a 997 look. A totally cosmetic operation that involved making a 996 look like a new 997.......what a waste.....
Old 02-22-2006, 06:44 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just checked out the website:
Price: £43.00 + shipping: £23.00 = £66.00 / year ?
that's a lot for a car mag.
i would enjoy my excellence instead.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:02 PM
man_of_ice
Racer

I rather like how they take different angles on "who owns a 911" and "what people use their cars for". Some ppl like 911s for tack days - other pimping them up with bling mods (like the fake GT3).

I read the articles without prejudice and even if I might not agree, I think its a damn cool magazine.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by man_of_ice
I read the articles without prejudice and even if I might not agree, I think its a damn cool magazine.
Iceman: I agree it is still a very cool magazine. The photographs alone make-up for any funky articles that may appear on occasion. A few issues ago there was an article on a gentleman who was paralized from the waist down, and eventually had RUF build a beautiful vehicle for him. That is probably one of the most inspiring articles I've read on any magazine in a very long time. So I'll certainly keep purchasing Total 911 when they publish stuff like that. I know they can do a good job!
Old 02-22-2006, 07:31 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to say it but the mag needs to cater to these type of owners. The Porsche is becoming more mainstream now and more and more diverse people are buying the P-car.I don't like the direction it is showing where our cars are going .The 993 vs the 996 was a joke,if I wanted a car with old technology the 993 - 964 - 930 well you get where i am going with this.I have said it before i love the 993 i just dislike most owners.Anyways back to my point having a little money to buy a p-car will never make you classy, unlike the guys here in this forum.Well there is a few I can do with out, and I am sure I pissed off more then a few!
Old 02-22-2006, 07:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I am not slamming the mag, just questioning some of their motive to writing certain articles. With that said, I buy it occasionally from the local Border's since it is cheaper for me to buy it by the issue than the inflated price they want for a subscription ($7.95USD per issue = $96 a year versus the sub rate of 66GBP which is $115USD!!!). Still pricey either way.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by man_of_ice
I agree most of the articles are great and I have enjoyed my subscription.

However, some of the articles leave me scratching my head wondering what they are thinking.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't have a single magazine (and I get about 15 per month) that I agree, or even like, every article written.

Some are pointless, others are stupid, some are pointless and stupid. I read those twice because I usually think it's me.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Nick Crooks
Advanced

I think single marque mags are problematic. On the 1 hand they provide more in-depth info. on the marque, on the other they are somwhat "wedded" to the marque which limits the scope of the mags and their objectivity. 911 and Porsche World is pretty good and reading about other P models is not all bad as you learn more about the company, its engineering philosophy and blind alleys it may have gone down. However the last issue I picked up featured a "912 R" - this was totally pointless in my view and the issue then went on to compare a Boxster with a Harley..??? (yes I know P helped to develop it).

Total 911 is obviously more limited in scope and can easily fall into the trap of endless articles about custom specials vs. in-depth articles about racing, company personalities and engineering development. Bottom line is that its a lot easier to get cooperation from owners of specials than the real "players". Bottom line - buy when the issue contains relevant content.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nick Crooks
Bottom line - buy when the issue contains relevant content.
Excellent point Nick. Which is exactly what I do. I stop by my local Borders, thump thru the mag for a few seconds and if there seems to be enough to catch my attention I buy it.

Quick Reply: Feb Total 911 Mag article (TOTAL RICE!!!)