996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Should I sell my 996TT and buy a GT3 ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:25 PM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I sell my 996TT and buy a GT3 ??

Here is what I have just posted to the GT3 Forum. I would like to hear your comments... BTW: I LOVE my TT, but I wonder if I will end creating something that is not a TT..

" A happy owner of a 996 TT. It's not a daily driver for me ( I do not drive it in the city ). When I travel at legal speeds I preffer my BMW. I use my TT more and more at the track and in different car meetings ( drifting days, sliding, etc..).

I am becoming a faster driver at the track and starting to think of "improving" my car for such activities ( PSS9 suspension, stiffer sway bars,roll over bar, seats,etc..). Does it make sense, or should I shift to a GT3 ?

I do not intend, for the moment being , to compete in open races. If I race, I will not do it with a GT3 ( too expensive game for me ).

Could you please help me to answer these questions:

1.- ) Will I find what I am looking for: CLEARLY Better results at the track ? Faster laps ? More driving pleasure ?

2.- Will I loose a lot in comfort ?

3.- How reliable ( mechanically is a GT3 vs a 996TT ?

PS.- I am not interested in a GT2 and I consider myself a reasonably decent driver ( two seconds more than an European Champion professional driver at the same track with the same car )."

Thanks in advance for your help !
Old 02-15-2006, 01:28 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Unfortunately I haven't yet been priveleged enough to own either, so I can only tell you what I've heard from others. The GT3 is a very different beast than the TT, it's almost as fast in a straight line, but the real difference is it's a much more nimble RWD car than the heavyish(sorry) AWD TT. It is harder to drive than the TT for sure, but when tamed can provide vastly superior results. You will DEFINATELY lose in comfort. No A/C. No stereo. No rear seats. No nothing. This is a no nonsense no frills racecar and makes no apologies for this.

I dont think it would be any more or less reliable than the TT, though maintenance related parts might be harder to come by given the relatively small number of GT3s compared to TTs.

Good luck.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:58 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea if its going to be used mostly for the track The GT3 is for you, Its not near as nice as a daily driver as your TT, but they are both purpose built. To date there is no better NA Porsche then the 996 GT3. In the end if you go with the GT3 you will win on some points and loose on others. I think the question on reliability is around the same, but parts for the GT3 maybe harder to source.I would have no use for a GT3 as I tend to drive my cars allot on the street, but if i had the room I would have a GT3 just for those track weekends....I need a bigger garage.Good luck and let us know what you end up doing
Old 02-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

boqeron- based on your use, get a GT3. It is faster out of the box on a track than the 996TT. It corners and brakes far better and acceleration is very similar. The TT is a wonderful car but on track it is heavy, the suspension too plush and the brakes are inadequate.

The GT3 feels like a race car and sounds like one too. That means no sound deadening and you'll hear all sorts of things not normally heard. Part of the charm of the car.

Having had a lot of Porsches, including a GT2, the GT3 is the finest track toy Porsche has ever made.

Mine (there are two in the family, his/hers) and fifteen in the local club. All have been perfectly reliable. The car is too new to have any long term experience mind you.

Best,

best,
Old 02-15-2006, 06:07 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just noticed this on another thread so I pasted it for you read, Vale?

"also, many are saying that in a few years, GT3's will drop to 70k and will be a bargin to pick up for a track car. with all due respect, what do you mean by TRACK car. i put close to 6k track miles on my in ONE year and anothe rennlister logged over 10k track miles in ONE year. with this type of track mileage, you will be very very SHOCKED on how much consumable you are chewing through. i have a receipt of $4k or so just on BRAKE PADS. you dont want to know how much i burned on pilot sport cups, rotors, the freaking chin lip spoiler that i buy by the dozen (i am NOT exaggerating). most ppl with this much track miles pretty much killed the LSD on the car. to really get it right, you need a PMS or paul guard LSD. that's another very large bill. i burn about $300 on fuel per track day and this is on cheap gas. i have a buddy burning about $500/day on 100 oct. that's 15k on track fuel ALONE every year for my buddy. so the purchase price of the GT3 is really peanuts. it's the consumables, if you REALLY are talking about using it as a track car.-Mooty"
Old 02-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boqueron
Could you please help me to answer these questions:

1.- ) Will I find what I am looking for: CLEARLY Better results at the track ? Faster laps ? More driving pleasure ?

For DE's, better results and faster lap will be more dependant on the driver comparing the TT vs gt3. Pleasure, to me is subjective. 95% of the fun is simply being there on the track, 5% on the vehicle dynamics, with the TT you can enjoy the turbo rush, with the gt3 the nimbleness (is this a word?)

2.- Will I loose a lot in comfort ?

Just reading various other threads, some say you lose a lot, most others say you can live with it, so you have to drive and see.
3.- How reliable ( mechanically is a GT3 vs a 996TT ?

a tie.

PS.- I am not interested in a GT2 and I consider myself a reasonably decent driver ( two seconds more than an European Champion professional driver at the same track with the same car )."

Thanks in advance for your help !
You can learn a lot and improve a lot with the TT,....but gt3 is without a doubt the more track oriented car (duh!). OH! just noticed the P.S., Sounds like you should get the gt3.

Last edited by Sanjeevan; 02-15-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:30 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Since nobody else has mentioned this I will jump in. I have owned a TT and now track a 996 C-2. The TT is a heavy, AWD mammoth with traction control. The GT-3 is a street legal version of the Cup car. If you want a track car, get the GT-3. It will be faster on most tracks and rewards car control skills where the TT tends to cover up poor car control. If it's a track car, who cares about comfort?
Old 02-16-2006, 08:44 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to get the October 05 issue of 911 & Porsche World. You may find all your answers there. It's a great review on both cars.

The veredict: The Porsche fan will love both of these cars, and although they're built for very different purposes choosing between them isn't easy. In the GT3 you would miss the Turbo's refinement. In the Turbo you'd long for the GT3 raw, seat-of-the pants feel. But it forced to choose we'd take the GT3. It may be rather noisier and less pratical than the turbo, but you'll go a long way to find another car that's so communicative and so enjoyable, and that sways it for us. It's not the common-sense choice, but then you only live once.

PS: a great friend of mine opened a restaurant called Chic at calle Campomanes. Excellent couisine. Ask for Álvaro.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:47 PM
boqueron
Pro

Thanks to all!

Fully convinced. Very excited about my future GT3 !!! I am starting the sale of my TT next week ( just ordered the adds )! Sad for the sale of my loved TT .....

Quick Reply: Should I sell my 996TT and buy a GT3 ??