Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

splicing headlight wires for 2002+ xenon upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:59 AM
delirium
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default splicing headlight wires for 2002+ xenon upgrade?

I spoke to someone at Vertex today & he said that their kit will fit on 2002+ facelifted 996's. You have to cut off the wiring harness and then "patch in" the ballast by splicing it into the factory wiring. What is the best way to connect 2 severed wires? wire screws? Solder & shrink tubing, tube crimp connector?

Last edited by delirium; 02-15-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:06 AM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

What's their "kit"?

i've never heard of this. From what I can recall, it is a plug and play install. You will be buying entirely new wiring harnesses so no "splicing" would be needed. You should confirm with Eli from Pelican. He is well versed in 02+ conversions
Old 02-15-2006, 01:15 PM
delirium
Racer

Their kit from Vertex is on their website. A Vertex rep said there is spicing involved, it might be for 2002+ models only? I have spoken w/ Eli over email, he is helpful, but short worded.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

I can't comment specifically on what they are saying but...

I just did this kind of. I removed a set of aftermarket Litronics from my 98 Boxster and placed them in the 03 Boxster. To remove the wiring from the old car, I had to cut the cable just behind the litronics-end plug so I could pull the cable out.

To install, I soldered the 4 wires, shrink wrapped each one and then had a larrger swrink wrap section to cover all the wires. Water tights and a clean job. Everything works and no chance of a crip connector coming loose

bob
Old 02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
waldrondigital
Advanced

I just ordered the same kit. What you'll most likely have to do is splice the two wires that feed the standard/current bulb and integrate the ballast/ignitor (one piece) to those two wires. My kit comes today and I plan on installing on my 996 halogen housing this weekend. If you haven't already figured it out by then, I'll post follow-up.

Short answer, YES you will need to cut these. No bigge though, if you ever wanted to unwind it you could just recrimp the standard halogen socket back.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:39 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummm....NO SPLICING IS NEEDED...if you get the right wiring harness you dont need to splice ANYTHING.....I have a facelifted 99 with 02+ Litronics....no wires were spliced.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:02 PM
delirium
Racer

I think there is some confusion, on the type of kit I am referring to. I am referring to a kit like this:
http://www.vertexauto.com/rennlist/80.html

These are not factory retrofit kits, or facelift retrofit kits, or halogen switching to factory Litronic attempts, it is one of those more generic universal kits for H7 bulbs I believe.

I would like to have HID's on my 996, as I currenntly have halogens, and I have seen these kits work well w/ other makes as thier headlight assembly is much simpler.. but the 996 seems complicated due to the way that the enntire headlight is attached to one harness instead of each blub on its own socket/harness...

Waldrondigital: I am intersted to know how your conversion goes! please let me know.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:02 PM
waldrondigital
Advanced

Default I was wrong... no splicing required

Well I installed the 8K vertex kit on my 2000 C2 and contrary to my previous post, NO SPLICING WAS REQUIRED. However, locating a good place for the ballasts was a small challenge. Worked well for me... looks very cool. Haven't tested them on the road yet, but will do so tonight.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:43 AM
delirium
Racer

Originally Posted by waldrondigital
Well I installed the 8K vertex kit on my 2000 C2 and contrary to my previous post, NO SPLICING WAS REQUIRED. However, locating a good place for the ballasts was a small challenge. Worked well for me... looks very cool. Haven't tested them on the road yet, but will do so tonight.
Good job! Do you happen to have any pics of the kit & the install? Maybe a DIY? Are the 2000 headlights & the 2004 headlights (facelifted) similar enough so that I wont have to splice either?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: splicing headlight wires for 2002+ xenon upgrade?