Sponsored by:

X73 is in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default X73 is in!!!

Just got back fron the dealer. Dealer's 12 miles away, but it took me 35 miles to get home .

Many thanks to Chris and others who encouraged me. Even though it will be a while before I can take it to the track, it's already well worth it. When I went to pick the car up, it was parked beside a TT. Standing static, the car looks slammed, low on the ground. The 30 mm drop may not sound like much, but it looks like a lot on a car that was already low to begin with. On the move, the car IS stiff, flat, with appreciably quicker turn in. I can't wait to get it on the track to see how it performs, and also to see if it solves the tire wear problem.

I also wondered why they supplied a new set of engine mounts with the kit. The new mounts are taller, lifting the engine up a bit more in the engine bay. In conjunction with the lowering effects of the suspension, doing so keeps the half axles at the right alignment to the engine/tranny axis. Got'ta hand it to the Porsche engineers for covering all the bases. Good reason to go OEM.

I'm psyched!!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:13 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great to hear you are happy with the set-up! Suspension mods should be on everyone's list
Old 02-10-2006, 06:51 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Looking forward to your track report.
The engine mounts are stiffer and not taller unless there's a difference between turbo and c4s engine mounts.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Side by side with the old, the new mounts were a bit taller. There's also less clearance now with the engine bulkhead. Maybe compression of the older mount made them seem shorter? New one's ARE stiffer, and the old butt sensor picks up more engine vibrations.

Won't be able to make it to the track 'til mid April. I was going to go back out again, when fluffly white stuff started to come down . Me with street tires, track tires, but no snows
Old 02-10-2006, 07:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Palting - WTF, no pics?!?!?! You tease us with "Standing static, the car looks slammed, low on the ground." and then you don't attach any pics???What were you thinking??? That is a big no-no!!!

Seriously, that sounds awesome. Can't wait 'til you get her on the track and we get a report on how she corners. BTW, about the pics... I was only serious!
Old 02-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Heh-heh, sorry about that, Tim. It's still cold, and snow is seriously coming down now. Car is safely in the garage with car cover on for now. First sunlight, I'll have pics with it languorously posing on the driveay or road.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:12 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Palting
Heh-heh, sorry about that, Tim. It's still cold, and snow is seriously coming down now. Car is safely in the garage with car cover on for now. First sunlight, I'll have pics with it languorously posing on the driveay or road.
Cool, now I have something to look foreward to for Saturday!
Old 02-10-2006, 09:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats Palting, the X73 will change your car forever. The reason for the stiffer mounts is to manage the stiffer ride, the stock ones would crack, plus Porsche wouldn't warranty any X73 stuff unless you put in the mounts as well. Yes, the engineers know their ****, you will love it at the track. My car never felt as planted at the glen until I got the '73, with sport cups you won't even be able to squeal the tires on a turn. Honestly, your tires will be fine now and you won't need that radical camber you were trying to get, the whole geometry of your car has changed back to the way it was meant to be, as per Walter Rohl! (not the dumbed down US version)
One thing, about a month or so after install, my handling went to hell in a handbasket. The car had settled another 1/4" or so and threw off the toe out, just get it re-checked before you hit the track. Do take some garage pics and measure the ride ht f/r now and in a month or so.
Enjoy, you won't be sorry!
Now for Jeevas.....
Old 02-10-2006, 09:05 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

As far as the extra vibration goes, you'll really notice it in the summer with the AC on at a light, you'll think something came loose!
Old 02-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Now for Jeevas.....
OUCH!....I know,I know...Damn, it's still sitting in the garage. I'll get to it soon..it's my steep driveway that's holding me back. I have to come up with a solution for that first, and I'm being too lazy with it. Besides the first event is a few months away, I am planning to install it next month, we'll see. May be I have to settle on some wooden ramp to get my car in to the garage once I get it installed.

Palting, gald to hear you finally pulled the trigger, and it's good to hear your reviews.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

So far, have not had any issues with scraping. Fingers crossed. I wouldn't mind the front lip so much, but the darn bottom of the engine seems awful close to the ground.

OK. Here's a pic. Too cold and too much snow outside, sorry it has to be in the garage. Pic doesn't do it justice., especially with the black under trim. You have to see it in person, and beside a TT or another 911, to really apprciate how much of a drop it is.

Old 02-11-2006, 02:07 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Looks like it is supposed to, did you get a chance to measure the ride ht f/r, wonder if it is the same as mine, looks it!
FWIW, mine hardly ever scraped, once I put on the aerokit, that lip hits everything.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Here's another interesting thing I found for those interested in the X73/74. After they installed everything, they took an initial reading of the alignment. The initial reading for camber was -2.05 !! I had then set it to the recommended -1.45, but it's good to know I can go up to and possibly beyond -2.5.

I'll get the tape measure and let you know, Chris.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:12 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I'm telling you, you ain't gonna need to go that radical, whole geometry has changed for the better. If you do, you can always slot out the mounting positions on the front end with a dremel or get some camber plates from fvd to get even more camber.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:39 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Palting
.... OK. Here's a pic. Too cold and too much snow outside, sorry it has to be in the garage. Pic doesn't do it justice., especially with the black under trim. You have to see it in person, and beside a TT or another 911, to really apprciate how much of a drop it is.

Palting - Looks good! Thanks for sharing the pic. BTW, Garage pics on cars that are not "Garage Queens" are OK to post

Quick Reply: X73 is in!!!