996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

X73 is in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

OK. Got the tape measure, went to the cold garage, measured, and came back to find out I measured from the center of the wheel to the top of the wheel well. Dang!! Had to go back out to the garage to measure from the floor across the center of the wheel to the top of the wheel well. The things I do for you guys . Fr is 25.625" and Rr is 25 .5". Pretty close to previously posted numbers.

There was a prior thread on "rake". The wheel well height has nothing to do with rake. If you simply look at the numbers on wheel well height, you'd think the C4S has a nose up rake. But, I invite one and all to look at the garage pic above. The C4S has a decidely slight nose down rake. The front wheel wells are simply cut higher to allow room for the wheel to turn left and right. Set to Porsche specs, this is the correct "rake" for proper balance and performance.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:28 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Wait 'til it settles about a 1/4" or so, the 'squat' will be more noticable. But, who cares,it was/is obviously intentional and works well!
Wait until you hit the track this spring, total transformation of the car, flat as a pancake in the corners, no tire squeal, planted. Before the X73, I could never hit the esses at WGI flat out floored, now I can with ease. Don't forget to recheck the alignment later,car looks nice!!!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:44 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

weird. i know somebody who just put this setup on their turbo. just about 26" flat front and rear, with it being ever so slightly lower in the back. i can't imagine it will continue to settle another half inch.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

With the sloping back, prominent front fender, the "squat" look is inherent in all 911's. It is more pronounced in the C4S due to its' wider rump and red accent. Again, it doesn't have anything to do with "rake".

Here is a pic with the C4S at speed, WOT heading down a straight. It is the original C4S sport susppension, but the X73 would drop it 30 mm all around maintaining the "rake".The wheel well cut in front is higher than the rear, but the overall attitude or rake is still nose down.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:18 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Palting, you're a real son of a gun. You didn't post that picture to make a point; only to make us all crazy sitting inside during this winter blizzard.

Awesome looking picture post X73. You are going to scream around the track now.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Palting you are going to be amazed when you get to the track because the whole balance of the car is now so much more neutral. Chri s is right about the camber thing too. I think the new springs and shock rates help the car attain a more neutral bias so you're not trying to overcome so much push with negative camber. These are things you just can't experience on the street. You'll see, you'll see.
I am sure you're in for a treat at your next DE. I just couldn't get comfortable with the C4S until I did the X73.
Good luck.
Dave
Old 02-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Thanks. I'm psyched, and can't wait for DE season. I'm going to the tire shop tom to have them mount MPSC's on the track wheels.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Temp in the 50's, sunny, took the car out for the Ohio version of a canyon run.

This sucker is stiff!! I got acquainted with expansion joints I didn't know exsited while on the highway. On the other hand, the canyon run was a blast. Very quick turn-in combined with the flat attitude made me turn too early and too much on the first few corners. Had to learn to turn later and slower. The original suspension had the C4S on rails, now the X73 is a go-kart on rails. Obviously can't explore the limits since I'm still on street tires on public roads. MPSC's got delivered today, and my expectations for the DE in mid-April are high, intimidating even.

I would not recommend this for the daily driver. Very stiff suspension, accentuates the rattles and squeeks, and a bit of an engine drone/vibration from the stiff engine mounts on cruising and idling. But, if the promises found on the canyon run come true on the track, well worth it for the track afficionado while still maintaining steet drivability as a second priority.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Palting, thanks for your feedback....which DE are you going in April, I am seriously considering the mid-ohio event with the BMW club in April. Did'nt see any othe M-O events for that month (I know the Potomac is in May, which I would'nt be able to go).
Old 02-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

OVR is April 15-16. I'm holding off on non-Porsche club DE's for now. It's been almost a year since I've been to Mid-Ohio, and I'm sure I'm rusty. Don't want those BMW boys gunning for me, yet . Probably in the summer, after several reminder runs as wel as getting acquainted with the X73 runs, I'll get on Chin Motorsports or BMW or Audi events and mix it up with the "lesser" cars .
Old 02-16-2006, 05:48 PM
boqueron
Pro

Can't wait to hear your comments in the track !
Old 02-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Which dealership did the work for you? If you don't mind my asking, how much should someone expect to pay for this mod? Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

I had it done at our local Porsche dealership. I've been with them since 1999 when I bought a Volvo from them, and I trust their techs. Even if they didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about the X73 . I had to research the part numbers and supply it to the parts guy. The head mechanic, however, is excellent, and has made my car his personal responsibility ever since I bought it. They charged me 10 hours labor for installation, alignment, and balancing plus oil and filter change. It is company policy that I buy the parts from them, but they matched the cheapest price I could get on the internet.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:25 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You're gonna love those cups. I'll be at lamerock in march, pocono in april and the glen in may(chin motorsports).
Old 02-16-2006, 10:30 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, new X73 suspension + cups, you are loving that. More G's are soon to follow.

Originally Posted by Palting
Thanks. I'm psyched, and can't wait for DE season. I'm going to the tire shop tom to have them mount MPSC's on the track wheels.

Quick Reply: X73 is in!!!