996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Best way to stow golf bag(s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 04:33 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, my vp wanted to get a cab and his only concern was fitting the golf clubs in the car. This thread definitely answered his questions.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:28 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
"To my way of thinking there are really only three sports: baseball, basketball, and football. Everything else is either a game or an activity. . .Running. People think running is a sport. Running isn't a sport because anybody can do it. I can run, you can run. For Christ sakes, my mother can run! You don't see her on the cover of Sports Illustrated, do you?"

-George Carlin
I consider running to be one of the purest sports of them all.
Don't really know whether George's mom can run a marathon

As far as Golf is concerned : just a past time activity taking up a lot of premium space. Look at their so called champions : hardly anybody is in shape. People use motorized vehicles to make life easier on themselves. How can one respect that ?

I was actually a Nike exec when they signed Woods. Most of the hardcore employees (a lot of them athletes themselves) were not keen on attaching the brand (which still had a rebel image at that pioint in time) to something as boring and upscale as Golf. By signing Tiger Woods they made their Golf category unproftable for the next decade. Luckily we sold enough Nike Airs (running shoes) to pay for the brad. Stupid marketing and financial move. Kind of brings a diversity message to the US, but not really relevant to the rest of the world.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:07 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yvesatlanta- sounds like you've got some hard feelings about TW. He's a fantastic athlete who has brought great visibility to his sport and to Nike. If bringing him on really killed its golf segment profitability for 10 years then someone agreed to pay him too much, but that doesn't take away from his skills. I know I pay more attention to an event when he's involved, and I've spent a LOT of $$$ on Nike golf gear. Maybe I'm just as stupid as the Nike exec who signed Woods.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:54 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

yvesatlanta - Do you or have you ever tried to play golf? I was involved in a lot of sports in high school and beyond, football, basketball, baseball (was offered a college scholarship), power volleyball (think Olympic style, not recreational where you "bat" it back and forth), and was on the track team, (high hurdles and ran the mile). I started playing golf after I got out of high school. I found that is was more difficult to achieve a relative "level of proficiency" (i.e. average, or top 1/3, or top 10%) in golf than it was in any of the other sports I mentioned above.

While it helps to have good hand-eye coordination to become very proficient in golf, 80% of the game involves strong mental acuity. It would be similar to when one is running a distance race, and mentally and physically “hits the wall.” In order to persevere and finish that race, it is the mental strength and toughness, not the physical reserve, which gets you to the finish line.

While it is true that most people would not envision a pro golfer when they hear the phrase "pro athlete," that does not mean that they are not athletes. It does, however, mean that they are the best athletes in the world in their chosen profession. Just another person's opinion about golf.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:59 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

"The game is probably interesting, to try to put a ball in the hole is maybe fun, but it is these people you have to go and hang around -- golfers -- the rest of them, the rest of them. These dorks in hats and checkered pants. You don't want to be near these people. And they all walk around -- they hit ball, they have a crooked stick, first of all, a crooked stick, hit a ball, walk after it, hit it again. I say pick it up, put it in your pocket, go home, You're lucky you found it the first time, you know."

-George Carlin on golf
Old 02-10-2006, 05:10 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

There went the thread...now we're going to debate golf as a sport. BTW ask Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, John Elway...yada yada...if they think golf is a sport. I think you will find it one of the most challenging sports ever. Just MHO.

Oh yeah, I put mine in the front seat of my cab.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:10 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I fold the front seat all the way back, works. Who golfs anymore with the track as the new addiction?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smackboy1
Question: do you find you tip more at the golf course when you roll up in your 911 versus your "beater".
That's why I always ride my Vespa to the course
Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 AM
tmallgolf
1st Gear

Default Re

I usually kept it at back of my car.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

$20 dollar seat cover from the auto parts store. Cart bag sits in the front seat. strapped in on long trips. Clicgear cart folds up and fits nicely in the trunk along with shoes, etc.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking something similar because I'm taking my first lesson this week.

Originally Posted by vove
Funny, my vp wanted to get a cab and his only concern was fitting the golf clubs in the car. This thread definitely answered his questions.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Don't diss golf. It's the most difficult game there is. It is mentally challenging and can never be mastered. Even the top professionals have deep moments of sucking at it to offset the highs.

And Smackboy1, Hemingway was the one who said there are only three sports; "Mountain Climbing, Bullfighting and Motor Racing. The rest are games."
Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

A 911 seems to go well with Golf but not so with Bowling (the sport of the plebians).. I never played Golf or even tried. But I bowl pretty dam well for a 70 year old. If there are any Bowlers out there I got a 693 series this morning in the wed league. 245...225...222... and those scores are good in anybodys books. Anyway.. Back to the subject... I carry my 34 inch long 3 ball roller bag across the backs of the drop down rear seats no problem. The hardest part is lifting the 50pounds trolley over the side and into the back of the Cabriolet with the top down. No it isn't...lifting it out in one clean and jerk is harder. Don't want it catching any part of the car. I couldn't possibly carry the trolley with the hard top on the car. Although my 996 is a DD, I use the van during the winter months when I bowl.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Two bags across the back seat, no problem, but I have a coupe. Solo, just drop it in the passenger seat. Tip the guy $5, and he cleans off the mud.

More than 2 golfers, I take the Cayenne. It holds 4 golfers and equipment.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Fold the back seats down and slide it in right in across the back. I do it every week. I love old threads brought back to life.

Quick Reply: Best way to stow golf bag(s)