Thumbs up from E46 M3 owner story

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thumbs up from E46 M3 owner story

Had to share this story because it put a big smile on my face when it happened.

Speaking for myself only :P I feel that all Porsche owners all share one common character is that we are all a little stuck up about our driving ability compare to the average driver on the road. IMHO the Porsche 911 (pre 996)cars are difficult to master compare to normal cars and thus require more discipline and attention when driving the car to higher limit. So it is all these years of discipline that helped us become a better driver and allowed us to be more intoned to visually dissecting every turn before we engage it.

Anyways... was driving my lowly BMW 323ci yesterday coming home. Usually there is only one part of my daily drive that I would speed, which is the 60 east transition to the 71 south. It is a long "S" sweeper with a banked turn, which you can pretty much take flat out. While preparing for the turn (setting up proper entry to hit the apex), I noticed an E46 M3 which I passed not to long ago decided to take me on from behind. So I just did my normal everyday thing and kept the gas pedal all the way to the floor, and the M3 (certainly had the performance potential) could easily pass me, but couldn't (driver issue). After the turn I slowed down to let the M3 get along side of me, and when I looked over he gave me a big thumbs up and took off.

Had a big grin on my face the rest of the way home.... and drove the speed limit.

I wondered afterwards if he would have gave me the thumbs up if I was in my 993 or 996.....

Sorry of the off topic stupid teenager behavior, just felt good to be the winning underdog.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to be rude, but I think he might've given you a thumbs-up because you were in a "lowly" 323. You would've gotten a finger had you been in a late-model 911.

We may be stuck-up about our driving prowess, but in my experience, BMW owners are stuck-up about their cars.

In any case, that sounds like a nice curve to attack with a P-car.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:41 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Robin,

It is funny how there are drivers of higher performance cars that you know are going to pass you on the straights but in some type of curve some how don't seem to be able to pull it off, but once you hit a straight part of the road again they have to fly by. In my part of the world it most common with Mustangs and Corvettes. As long as the road is straight they will blast by most traffic but in the curves they seem to lose a lot of speed.

You can't be too harsh on the 323...it may not be the fastest car but for a smooth riding sedan that does wonderful on long trips it does handle the curves very well and you can't say that about many cars.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:28 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Since auto makers are once again in a HP race, I'm undoubtedly in a tiny minority since my preferance is for moderatley powered cars that handle exceptionally well. One of the most enjoyable driving experinces that I have is to shake a tail gatter in the twisties. Going 150 MPH+ in a straight line just doesn't do it for me. Now, going 60 MPH in the twisties when other guys can only manage 55, is a rush.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 323ci is definitely not a fast car, 170 hp, with over 3200 lb to carry. At least it is a stick shift and came with sports package. The handling is exceptional for a car in that price range.

I would also consider Porsche 911s to be an underdog too in today's horse power race. Too bad the non-Porsche folks just don't know enough about them. Many people as work always ask me if my Porsche is a V8 and if it makes 500 horse power.... When they hear that it is only a 6 cylinder and with 298 horse power they couldn't believe it. Hence.... the "DX".... LOL! :P
Old 02-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Mitty
Racer

It is always nice to have a driving experience that leaves you with a smile on your face. Usually that is the opposite. Nice post!
Old 02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Sometimes it's just safety. I was following a guy in a Pontiac Grand-Ma with dual pipes who apparently needed to show me he could go fast. We went about 90 through the boonies on the straights, and very bored in the twisties, but it was hilly and poor light and wasn't worth killiing myself and my wife to get by him. When I found a nice patch, I passed him and two other cars with the GHL's in full song at about a buck ten. He probably thought I was a ***** for not passing him on the double yellow.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:57 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice story. I've gotten plenty of complements from owners of other German makes so I don't think that we are all as snobby as the world would think. A car enthusiast does not discriminate, IMO, by the brand of car and so I would hope that the e46 M3 driver would have waved even if you had been driving your Porsche.

Quick Reply: Thumbs up from E46 M3 owner story