Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tracking your Porsche...Ooops Insurance claim, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 07:26 PM
kappa88af
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking your Porsche...Ooops Insurance claim, what would you do?

I was just thinking. I'm tracking my Porsche and get into an accident. What do I tell my insurance agent, hit & run in the parking lot. Is their special insurance for race days or am I @#$% out of luck if I ding my baby?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:46 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most insurance companies cover it, just ask them.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Don't ask!!! Most don't cover it any more and they certainly won't if you ask! Get the full copy of your policy and read it.

There are specialty insurance companies, www.americancollectorsins.com is what I used to have. I don't have it any more, I just decided that I won't crash.

There are several threads in the history on this.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:47 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I just take my chances, everything you tell an ins co is shared with other companies via a data bank.
I know what I would do, you can figure it out, but I sure wouldn't tell the ins co first.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:55 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Read your policy. If it is excluded consider purchasing supplemental coverage vs. taking the risk. My policy excludes "speed competitions," which I interpret to mean actual racing or, perhaps, time trials, but to mean that it covers driving school/DE.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:16 PM
c4bliss
Racer

Its been my personal exp talking with ins. companies that they WILL NOT cover it if they know it was track related. Search the history on this and there are many threads about it, including companies that cover track events for very reasonable costs, though with steep deductables.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:15 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I would purchase DE insurance and not even bother with your regular auto insurance company. People have posted stories about losing their auto insurance just for asking about DE insurance. My insurance company asked me specifically if I was going to use my 78SC for racing when I bought it.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have USAA and it covers "Drivers Education" events. Our local chapter hosts DE events that would be covered by most policies but it is very important to understand a few things:

1. There is NO timing done.
2. There are no awards, points, etc.
3. There are instructors present
4. And the most important......the events are held to help you control your car when pressed to limits that would help you to avoid accidents when on the streets (theoretically).

If I had to make a claim it would be something like this......."I was involved at an accident at a drivers education event" followed with some nervous laughter to see if the agent sees the humor and irony in what I just said.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Wouldn't advise committing insurance fraud, just sack up.....there are risks associated with this activity as we all realized last June
Old 02-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I went with Laurel, recommended by PCA.

Cost about $1000 for 10 "events" (days) at the track. $5000 deductible.

Marc
Old 02-06-2006, 11:18 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My experiences are similar to LVDELL's. I asked my Allstate agent about coverage and he told me it wouldn't be an issue as long as the conditions LV cited were applicable AND there was no competition. I later switched to GEICO and got the same answer.

I'd recommend calling your agent BEFORE you go to the track so you know what's covered (and more importantly, what's NOT covered).

There's a wide range in philosophies amongst track organizations. Some organizations encourage lap timing (they even make money from transponder rentals) while other groups (such as BMW CCA) will kick you out if they find your buddy timing you with a stop watch. Heaven only knows what they'd do if they found the driver operating a timing device of some sorts.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

fraud is a tricky issue
they find out you're lieing - you're in trouble.
you get into a big accident at the track and you're in trouble.
small ding, go to a parking lot, put it into a wall gently and add a little bit of car bits on the ground - you might get away with it
whether it's worth risking jailtime is a question you must ask yourself....
Old 02-06-2006, 11:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I went with Laurel, recommended by PCA.

Cost about $1000 for 10 "events" (days) at the track. $5000 deductible.

Marc
Wow! That is pricey. Unless I am doing fender to fender racing, no thanks. That makes no sense for DE application. Besdies, is it "off the books" insurance or does it get reported to the national database as well (sorry, forgot the name)?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:58 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
fraud is a tricky issue
they find out you're lieing - you're in trouble.
you get into a big accident at the track and you're in trouble.
small ding, go to a parking lot, put it into a wall gently and add a little bit of car bits on the ground - you might get away with it
whether it's worth risking jailtime is a question you must ask yourself....
You raise an excellent point. When someone makes a fradulent claim, the consequencies could be far worse than the Insurance company denying the claim. The Insurance Company may turn the matter over to the justice department for investigation and prosecution. The most prudent course of action is to get your car insured for track events, and don't be surprised if the Insurance is costly.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Its not fraud if the policy is vague and you don't ask until after an incident. It is fraud if you say that your track accident really happened on the street. There is a pretty big difference between the two.

When I asked Geico if I was covered, they sent the quesion to the underwriter, who got back to me a week later and said "No". Lesson learned, ask for a copy of the full policy and read it. That is the contract.

Quick Reply: Tracking your Porsche...Ooops Insurance claim, what would you do?