Sponsored by:

Engine Replacement IV

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 02:56 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Engine Replacement IV

Well here we go again. Like one of the posters on the previous thread, I am here because I value opinions (good and bad) and because I think it is important to air grievances in a forum where you can gain from a wide variety of experiences.

Now - to the meat of this thread.

Yesterday I picked up the reman. engine for $4200 + $1000 core because my sleeve is cracked. Add to that $1200 for R & R (because it is a C4) and so far I am in to this for $6400.00, plus tax. Car should be done today or Monday because the mechanic needs the lift space.

In my letter to Porsche last Friday, I included pics of my engine's cracked sleeve, and the Post that Bob put together about the 84 non-RMS engine failures (thanks Bob).

Now, let's say, HYPOTHETICALLY of course, that you were in my position and received an overnight letter from PCNA with a HYPOTHETICAL good-will offer of $2000 cash for your trouble HYPOTHETICALLY "based on the service history of my C4 Cab."

Would you accept a HYPOTHETICAL offer like this because it is better than nothing, or do you think they realize I am right and are trying to initially buy me off cheap?

Push for more or take the HYPOTHETICAL $$?

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:07 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

talk to the lawyer.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends whether or not this hypothetical offer was contingent upon waiving my rights to any future action.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:51 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

At that point, I would talk to a lawyer (make sure it is one you know and trust). S/He will need copies of the warranty, the purchase agreement, and what not. At that point, he can tell you what recourse is available to you OR if you should just pocket the hypothetical offer form Porsche and consider yourself happy.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:06 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the money and get on with your life.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought you got the core credit waived (stated in your last thread). For the price you paid I would have gone with the $7900 engine you already mentioned that would be warrantied. Not sure I follow your logic on this one unless you are looking for the cheapest way out and then unload the car. Had you purchased the Porsche one you would have had a 2 year warranty. If you kept it or not that would be worth the price of admission....piece of mind for you and a new engine -or- get a larger amount in private sale since you have the ability to sell with a NEW engine with 2 yr warranty.

You are taking a HUGE risk by buying that used one. I sure hope this doesn't turn into another Bob story down the road for you by going the cheap route.

As for the letter to PCNA, you probably hurt your case by including Bob's anecdotal evidence.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:16 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take one more pass at getting a bit more money yourself. Then take what you can get. You could quickly burn through in legal fees the incremental amounts an attorney "might" get you.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:17 PM
pl
Drifting

i read it one more time and i don't get it.
so the engine is reman by porsche.
and an indy put it? so u still have warranty from porsche?
why not just ask p-dealer to put that reman. engine in? maybe i don't get your solution?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:47 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

take the money and run.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:57 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The remanufactured engine is not by Porsche correct? So no warranty again. I think that was some good will by Porsche to offer you 2k on an out of warranty engine failure. If you want to go the lawsuit route just make sure your going in aware of the costs. As an attorney I would not take your case on a contingent fee basis nor do I believe any other attorney would. The cost for the hours to be put in to this possible case would probably eat up any potential award you may get at the end. Take the generous good will offer and be done with it.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:03 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The motor is not a Porsche reman., but does come with a 90 day warranty. Since my plan was to sell the car all along, I am going to stick to that.

I guess $2K is better than nothing (hpyothetically), but I don't like the (hypothetical) confidentiallity agreement. I just would not be able to discuss any settlement.

I think I will take the money and run. Chock it up to experience. At least they made a good faith effort for a 2nd owner who has owned 3 P-cars. That is what I was looking for I think. Still undecided if I will buy again.

Thanks for all your advice.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

90 day warranty from whom??? From the guy that sold it to you? Good luck getting your cash back from them if it fails inside 90 days. Still think you made the wrong choice but hey it's not my choice to make anyway.

Hope everything works out the best for you. Don't let this experience ruin your love for the marque. There are just a few bad ones in every bunch and it looks like you got one of them. The odds of it happening to you again would be slim to none........unless of course you take the route Bob did.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the money and run. It's unfortunate that the motor swap is already under way, because with the hypothetical $2000 you could have had a factory motor with a warranty installed for almost what you're paying now.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:11 PM
pl
Drifting

looks like u have made your mind.
good luck!

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
The motor is not a Porsche reman., but does come with a 90 day warranty. Since my plan was to sell the car all along, I am going to stick to that.

I guess $2K is better than nothing (hpyothetically), but I don't like the (hypothetical) confidentiallity agreement. I just would not be able to discuss any settlement.

I think I will take the money and run. Chock it up to experience. At least they made a good faith effort for a 2nd owner who has owned 3 P-cars. That is what I was looking for I think. Still undecided if I will buy again.

Thanks for all your advice.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

1) Take the money
2) Sell the car
3) Buy somthing else
4) Move on with your life

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement IV