Sponsored by:

Body shop says MASHAW bumper needs work

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body shop says MASHAW bumper needs work

So I ordered the MASHAW GT2 bumper and wing, expecting that these pieces were of high quality, so relatively cheap to install. The body shop said that the wing is fine, but the bumper will require 8+ hours to install because they need to drill holes, fill, install screens, etc...

1. Does anyone else have experience paying to have this bumper installed?

2. Should I spend the $800-1000 to have this bumper installed, or just ship it back and buy something else?

Any opinions appreciated!

Old 01-25-2006, 12:26 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I think all the aftermarket stuff will be about the same, might try a oem TT front, probably alot less prep work involved, although 800-1000 ain't all that bad. Karlooz has a similar setup, hopefully he'll chime in as well.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I think they are wanking you. UNLESS you did get a POS (which happens). Contact MASHAW and ask. I got a TA (replica) from Kerry Getz a while back and it needed repaint, some areas fixed, screens etc. done and it cost 500 bucks.

Just my .02
Old 01-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Matt Chamblin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never seen any aftermarket fiberglass products that do not require some "fitting". The things you list would have to be done regardless of the manufacture.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:31 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

I don't know about the shop thats installing your parts but Mashaw is known for great fitment and high quality parts. You should definitely give Mike Shaw a call and inform him of the situation that you are facing, Im pretty sure that he will stand behind his products. 800 to 1000 bucks to install a bumper is ridiculous, IMO.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

I don't have a MAshaw bumper, but I do have their GT2 wing for the turbo... It took some work to align and finish, but over all not much worse if any than my techart front.

You should talk to Mike and have the shop talk to him....
Old 01-25-2006, 03:08 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Chamblin
I have never seen any aftermarket fiberglass products that do not require some "fitting". The things you list would have to be done regardless of the manufacture.

Have you seen the Mashaw products and worked with them??
Old 01-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I called Mike and tried not to offend him...Not sure if it worked. He obviously feels very strongly about his products. He thought 8-10 hours seems a little high, but not unreasonable if the shop is doing a really good job.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:37 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Darren,

It sounds a little on the high side, but not too out of line to me. If it makes you feel any better, even the stock Porsche aerokits have "fitment issues" that require the bodyshop to spend a little time prepping and installing. I learned this when I had the Aerokit II installed on my '02 Boxster S (which looked great without the rear wing).

Also, I use a MASHAW rear wing, and my bodyshop said it was very high quality.

TD
Old 01-25-2006, 04:20 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's any consolation, even my RUF RGT front bumper which is made of polyurethane required some prep work -- prime and sand -- before painting. A good body shop will do some prep work to get rid of some pinholing, etc. I don't thin 8 hours is completely unreasonable.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:20 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
, even the stock Porsche aerokits have "fitment issues" that require the bodyshop to spend a little time prepping and installing.
I'm not sure what you're refering to Todd. I've installed a full MK1 aerokit on my race car a couple of times and the MKII sides and front on my cab. I've had zero fitment issues. Just bolt the stuff on and it fits perfect.

Obviously the race crowd used lots of third party body parts and they usually take a little tweeking. Some more than others.
Jim
Old 01-25-2006, 04:25 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by JimB
I'm not sure what you're refering to Todd. I've installed a full MK1 aerokit on my race car a couple of times and the MKII sides and front on my cab. I've had zero fitment issues. Just bolt the stuff on and it fits perfect.
Maybe the MKII aerokit is different, but my bodyshop in DC bitched up a storm anytime anybody mentioned aerokits to them, even if they were shipped straight from Porsche. They complained that the connections are awful, and they frequently need to do a fair bit of prep work before installation and painting. I practically had to beg them to install the kit on my car.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine fit perect.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:12 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had NO issues with My Gemballa items , well the hood does change shape a bit when its real cold, but fits great. I Wouldnt say all aftermarket products need allot of work, I will agree that most do. The price they told you is on the high side, but you spend the money already so spend a little more and enjoy it after its done.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:40 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What is it with the Washington, D.C. Metro Area? I had an experience similar to Todd's -- I shopped 4 highly-recommended bodyshops before I found one who was willing to install the RUF aerokit.

I agree with kilrgt, you already have the MAShaw bumper -- go ahead and have it installed. I am not saying you should overpay but don't try to save money by cutting corners either. Some prep work is necessary even with OEM and polyurethane pieces. Shop around some more for bodyshops.

Last edited by programmatore; 01-25-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Body shop says MASHAW bumper needs work