996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Body shop says MASHAW bumper needs work

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006 | 10:55 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by kilrgt
I have had NO issues with My Gemballa items , well the hood does change shape a bit when its real cold, but fits great. I Wouldnt say all aftermarket products need allot of work, I will agree that most do. The price they told you is on the high side, but you spend the money already so spend a little more and enjoy it after its done.
Evan with the yellow TT in Florida had issues with his gembella items... The hood will never be perfect..

Like everyone said all have various degree of issues... Execpt for a few companies that I would never use... They all look good if a GOOD bodyshop takes the time to prep them right. It's all about the prep...
Old 01-26-2006 | 12:47 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I guess you live and learn. The body shop called me again and they are now saying that the wing fittment is terrible (he used a different word), and they want me to look at it before they go any further.

At this point I'm thinking I should just send the bumper and wing back, losing $300 in shipping, and go with the factory GT3 parts.
Old 01-26-2006 | 12:56 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Darren
I guess you live and learn. The body shop called me again and they are now saying that the wing fittment is terrible (he used a different word), and they want me to look at it before they go any further.

At this point I'm thinking I should just send the bumper and wing back, losing $300 in shipping, and go with the factory GT3 parts.
Have you talked with MASHAW? He is a nice and professional guy. He likely will take care of anything. Just snap some photos and e-mail them to him.
Old 01-26-2006 | 01:15 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

i have an authentic 1999 gt3 wing if you want it. will require some light mods on the inside to make it work (ie intake hole, fan mount ). simple stuff. i'll sell it cheap.
Old 01-26-2006 | 03:34 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Deputydog, I'll take it!! Check your pm.
Old 01-26-2006 | 03:45 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

8-10 hours to fix a fiberglass bumper? or is it poly urethane? If its FG find another body shop or send it back. The savings in going cheaper aftermarket will be erased by the man hours these guys are looking to bill you. I think these body shop guys see a Porsche owner and dollar signs appear in their eyes. But either way there is definitely more work required to fit FG parts than factory and its way more fragile than poly urethane. and nothing fits like factory parts, the seams between the fenders and the bumper can vary and those can't be filled in without allot of work.
I had sidekirts put in by precisionporsche and one side was about a 1/8 of an inch longer at edge of the rear wheel well than the other side. OEM and aftermarket will not fit exactly the same even after the prep work.
Old 01-28-2006 | 07:49 PM
EvanF
8th Gear

Default MA Shaw GT3 Mk 1 bodykit

I had a GT3 mk 1 body kit, consisting of a front bumper cover, Porsche factory side skirts, and GT3 rear deck and wing. There were no outrageous problems. This was installed on my '99 996. The rear deck simply bolted on with little adjustment. It even came with the wiring harness adapter. The side skirts were Porsche perfect. The front bumper cover had some aluminum screen bonded into the openings. The bumper cover and screen were painted and the whole unit was installed without any issues.

Once again, I guess every installation is different. Michael is pretty good about eventually returning Email inquiries (instant- 1 week later). Good kit with no problems.

The aftermarket GT3 rear wing is a bit different, as it has two bolts on each side holding the wing. However, I did have the chance to bolt up a true GT3 wing to my "base", and it fit perfectly. I did have a modified 8 degree shim installed between. This was installed to use my own wing with the stock shim. It bolted right up to the stock unit, just the same. (The stock wing has one bolt on each side to fix the wing.)

No problems at all.
Old 01-28-2006 | 09:46 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

price to install mashaw bumper
price to install oem gt2 bumper
price difference?
worth it?
good luck
Old 01-29-2006 | 01:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I bought the OEM MkI stuff from Brandywine a while back and my shop had ZERO problems with prep, etc.

They did routine prep, paint, and it fitted beautifully.
Old 01-29-2006 | 06:55 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I went down to the body shop yesterday to see what they were talking about. By this point they were complaining about the wing as well, and they wanted me to see if I was ok with how it lined up.

I don't think I'm happy with the alignment of the wing/deck lid.

The front edge has so little gap that its rubbing when you open the deck lid,
and the back part of the wing is sitting about 3/8" higher than the tail light:

So in other words, they can adjust it so that it won't rub in the front, but then the gap in the rear will be even worse. They said I can just leave it like this, or they can spend a lot of time changing the front edge so that everything lines up properly.

I don't think that this is what people mean when they say that all fiberglass parts need some work. Filling pinholes, etc I can see that being normal. But the part should line up better than 3/8" right??

There are two rubber standoffs under the rear of the deck lid that they didn't install because if they did it would stick up 1/2". This just all doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 01-29-2006 | 07:13 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

welcome to the world of aftermarket. i went through this about a year ago. you have to leave it alone or just decide to live with it. most people will never notice the improper fit. oem is the way to go if you want perfect fit. i have an oem front turbo bumper, anziano turbo rear bumper, and an anziano turbo rear wing. the rear bumper and wing are pretty close to oem, but there are imperfections that i have just decided to live with and nobody else seems to notice.
Old 02-05-2006 | 03:25 PM
delirium
Racer

I would think that it would not take a huge amount of effort for them to shave the top part a little bit so that they can adjust the piece upward by 3/8" and the bottom should then fit too?
Old 02-05-2006 | 04:21 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

OEM is the way to go, mine needed very minimal work, only bc it was previously painted. I must say the misha wing I had needed quite a bit of work but nothing like that, I'd send it back.
Old 02-05-2006 | 04:36 PM
delirium
Racer

OEm would be nice, the its not an option for narrow body 996 that want the GT2 wing because that is only for the widebodies.
Old 02-05-2006 | 06:08 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
I think all the aftermarket stuff will be about the same, might try a oem TT front, probably alot less prep work involved, although 800-1000 ain't all that bad. Karlooz has a similar setup, hopefully he'll chime in as well.

i don't have a mashaw bumper but i do have an aftermarket FRP bumper. qualility is 80% of oem, fit is 95%. if i had the '02+ headlight i probably would have gone oem. check http://www.sunsetimports.com/porscheatcost.php for porsche parts at dealer cost +15%. really good prices unlike local dealers that charge +30%~50% more.

Last edited by karlooz; 02-06-2006 at 12:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Body shop says MASHAW bumper needs work