Sponsored by:

Advice needed...just ordered fabspeed mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 06:13 PM
Boxer Spirit
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Advice needed...just ordered fabspeed mods

Hi all. I own a 2000 C4 and just ordered fabspeed exhaust, headers, and cold air intake. I just did some reading on people's opinions and it seems some think the headers are a complete waste, and don't really add power because there is not enough back pressure or something along those lines. Is this true or not? From their website they say: exhaust = 8-10hp
headers = 10-12hp
..can i really expect an increase of about 20hp from these mods or is this just a sales gimmick?
From what i hear the intake only gives better throttle response and more noise btw 4500-5500 rpm. Does it also add a tad of hp?
If someone out there has these mods or knows what kind of performance gains i will get it would be very greatly appreciated. I am just getting worried my $3000 bucks doesn't go to waste..
Old 05-22-2002, 08:01 PM
Dave P
Instructor

Boxer Spirit,
Check the 996FAQ below the forums. There is a complete write up on the Fabspeed system with documented information from various users who have installed the Fabspeed system. Have Fun!
Old 05-22-2002, 11:58 PM
Boxer Spirit
7th Gear

sorry, i'm new to the website, and can not find a 996 FAQ section anywhere...maybe i'm blind i don't know....if someone could help me out with that it would be great, thanx.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:10 AM
CjN
Intermediate

Here's the link, it's at the bottom of the Rennlist homepage (top left button on current page)

<a href="http://www.rennlist.org/996_faq/index.htm" target="_blank">http://www.rennlist.org/996_faq/index.htm</A>
Old 05-23-2002, 12:27 AM
Boxer Spirit
7th Gear

ok, i have read the faq, and i have read some opinions on the intake and exhaust, however nothing on the headers!!! I am most concerned about the headers. Especially since they cost the most,($1495)which is more than both combined. Has anyone here had them installed? Or know someone who has? If they don't produce at least 10hp for that kinda money i must say i will be very disappointed.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:52 AM
Carrera Rod
Advanced

chances are you won't feel the 10hp you are looking to get. are you going to dyno?
Old 05-23-2002, 12:34 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts
Like Rod said if you plan to install your mods- do a predyno run so you can compare. Definitely better results for turbo'd engines but NA is very little to none(if not chipped)- more of an aural sensation of more power. Didn't really feel a difference til I got it chipped and optimized the use of the mods. Mike
Old 05-23-2002, 12:49 PM
Boxer Spirit
7th Gear

so i take it the headers are a waste of money from what i hear...sad to hear. Does fabspeed have a satisfaction money back guarantee? What kind of chip would be best to get to optimize exhaust and intake? TRG UNICHIP? How much for one of those?I think the closest dealership who offers those is about a 15 hour drive away in calgary. I have thought about chips before, but i believe my dealership with void my warranty if i get one for sure. My main concern is reliability. Will it end up frying my electrical system or cause other problems. I know of others in town who chipped their S4's with some pretty nasty results. Any comments?
Old 05-23-2002, 01:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

IMHO the UNichip is the way to go because they can adjust to optimize whatever mods you plan to do plus it's a piggyback design so in case you decide to sell/trade the unit is easy to remove and can be installed in another car preferably another Porsche : ) wheras with other chips I think you need to send out your ecu and they solder one in or if there's a shop that does reprograms(not Unichip) they have to solder as well. I did the toggle switch for 2 maps for octane 91/100 simply because it does make quite a difference performancewise. I use oct 91 for daily drving and 100 for track use. It ran me including the two remaps $1400($1000 for one map). With respect to issues with warranty there's always a risk but i think with NA cars there not as aggressive in gains compared to turbo variants(s4) which definitely with so much added hp/trq-longterm doesn't bode well. Just for your info- having put the Fabspeed exhaust installed I did notice a slight dip in low end trq but having Unichipped it was restored and then some(especially oct 100). I did hear that cats do better then headers buts thats just from the grapevine. Originally I just wanted a better sounding exhaust but when you start it you get carried away : ). Good luck and post results if you decide to get it all done. Mike
Old 05-23-2002, 03:11 PM
Boxer Spirit
7th Gear

Do you figure the headers are significantly lighter at least, since they are made of polished stainless steel like the exhaust system?
Old 05-23-2002, 03:23 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

You may want to ask Fabspeed on that one since I do know the exhaust is definitely much lighter then the stock exhaust(still have them and they're hefty compared to the Fabspeeds). If it is liter by about 10 lbs then darn I'm always for liter weight in the back : ). Regards. Mike
Old 05-23-2002, 10:03 PM
Carrera Rod
Advanced

My Porsche Doctor told me that headers were a waste of money. He is a master Porsche tech working for a local dealer but also runs a business on the side with his wife as the only(?) FVD distributor in the US. He told me that he would love to sell me headers so he could make money but he is honest enough that he told me it does squat. Many others on this board share different opinions. I have not driven a car with aftermarket headers so I can personally comment.

I trust my Doctor more than anyone and he told me that the most restrictive part of the 996 are the cats. Now if I read your thread correctly, you are a Canuck like me but since you are still living in Canada, you don't have the worry about smog like we do hear in Califonia.

He mentioned that it does involve drilling a hole in the new cats for the sensors and he has experienced check engine lights on some installs but mostly later model cars.

As far as chips go, Mike (996FLT6) has the right attitude. I know he does a lot of research and asks MANY questions so his statements are true. I think you should do your own research on chips. Piggybacks clearly have advantages over a remap. But remaps might be a cheaper option. The deal with a remap is that you might want to purchase a backup ECU with the stock programming so when you go to the dealer, you can swap your ECU out for warranty work. Very easy to do. With some shops, can can Fedex your ECU to them and they will return it to you within 48 hours. I think the most important advice I can share of an ECU upgrade is DON'T let them change the RPM limiter. Some may disagree but I think it goes without saying that you don't want to mess with this protection.

Just take your time and plan all mods.

If you really want to transform your car, you have two options: get a TT (very $$$) or wait until turbo performance center finally releases their SuerpCharger for our 996's. This will probably run in the 5k range but you will get 350HP at the wheels and no other mod will even come close to that power. I did their Supercharger kit on my Boxster before my 996 and it is pure heaven.

Sorry for the long rant....
Old 05-23-2002, 11:20 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Hey Rod if that supercharger ever arrives from TPC- I'm going to be first in line you dead last : ). Yeah I agree with what Rod stated and if you really want a faster car- lighten it up. Nothing better then getting an awesome power to weight ratio : ). Have yet to really do major litening as my wife will kill me : (. Get a nice suspension(wife hates me to get that but will in time) and it'll sing on the track. Regards. Mike
Old 05-24-2002, 09:57 AM
SICAONE
Racer

Do you think removing the cats would cause a big difference or will I just get cancer quicker that way? Any experience with this?
Old 05-24-2002, 12:28 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Sicaone-if you do have allergies then removing the CATS in your car may help : ). I have heard that replacing with a sport cat will help more then the headers but how much better is it? I like to know as well. Regards. Mike

Quick Reply: Advice needed...just ordered fabspeed mods