New, aluminum pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:30 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Question New, aluminum pedals?

Hey guys,

At Loren's suggestion over at Renntech, I may try replacing my accelerator pedal to eliminate this little squeak that has been driving me crazy when driving. But that's not important.

What is important is that if I am going to replace the pedal, I thought to replace all three pedals (gas, brake, clutch) and go with an aluminum set. Do you guys recommend one manufacturer over another? I was browsing Ruf's site (my new favorite mod company) and like the Ruf 3 pedal set in "dull chromed aluminum with skid resistant rubber". Anybody else that I should consider, or frankly, should I just stay with stock?

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, as usual, I'm obliged to offer the following disclaimer: beware the mod bug. Of course, as my girlfriend says, "It's cheaper than therapy."
Old 01-19-2006, 10:39 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Hey guys,

At Loren's suggestion over at Renntech, I may try replacing my accelerator pedal to eliminate this little squeak that has been driving me crazy when driving. But that's not important.

What is important is that if I am going to replace the pedal, I thought to replace all three pedals (gas, brake, clutch) and go with an aluminum set. Do you guys recommend one manufacturer over another? I was browsing Ruf's site (my new favorite mod company) and like the Ruf 3 pedal set in "dull chromed aluminum with skid resistant rubber". Anybody else that I should consider, or frankly, should I just stay with stock?

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, as usual, I'm obliged to offer the following disclaimer: beware the mod bug. Of course, as my girlfriend says, "It's cheaper than therapy."
The RUF pedals are the same as the OEM aluminium pedals -- except they have the RUF logo and cost about $50 more. Weissach in Canada sells both. Carnewal sells the OEM aluminum pedals. Don't forget the dead pedal/foot rest which is another $150 or so.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:34 AM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a set over Christmas from Rennline. They have a new design with the little rubber skid things. Excellent quality as I believe they are a metal shop and make them right at their site! And the price (even without the discount from December) is pretty reasonable....

http://rennline.com/product.php/sid/...che/prodid/115
Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
SRC4S
Advanced

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.

I have the Ruf set along with the dead pedal. I may have misunderstood but you want to replace the original set with the Ruf pedals, correct?

The Ruf pedals get drilled onto the original factory pedals so they aren't replacements for the factory pedals. the brake and clutch pedals do replace the factory rubber skidcaps though (if that's what you were talking about).

As for appearance, I like them. I have the aluminum steering wheel plus some other aluminum parts in the car so the Ruf pedals match very well.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:06 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SRC4S
I have the Ruf set along with the dead pedal. I may have misunderstood but you want to replace the original set with the Ruf pedals, correct?

The Ruf pedals get drilled onto the original factory pedals so they aren't replacements for the factory pedals. the brake and clutch pedals do replace the factory rubber skidcaps though (if that's what you were talking about).
Ah, so the Ruf accelerator pedal bolts over the original factory pedal. Indeed, as you surmised, I believe that I require a 'replacement' accelerator pedal, not just a cover. For that, I may thus have to go with OEM again, though Loren over at Renntech mentioned that there have been some revisions in design since 2000 so I'll likely look to go with the most recent one.

By the way, if you do go aluminum, is it more aesthetically pleasing to change the 'dead' pedal too? Does it look off to leave it rubberized while everything else is brushed alloy?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:24 PM
SRC4S
Advanced

Ah, so the Ruf accelerator pedal bolts over the original factory pedal. Indeed, as you surmised, I believe that I require a 'replacement' accelerator pedal, not just a cover. For that, I may thus have to go with OEM again, though Loren over at Renntech mentioned that there have been some revisions in design since 2000 so I'll likely look to go with the most recent one.

By the way, if you do go aluminum, is it more aesthetically pleasing to change the 'dead' pedal too? Does it look off to leave it rubberized while everything else is brushed alloy?
IMO, the dead pedal "finishes" the look. I got the whole set as a gift so when i found out that the dead pedal was a completely separate price, i was shocked. But, no complaints as I think it definitely does complete the look. Initially, I was alittle hesistant about the "Ruf" logo in the pedals as I don't have a single other "Ruf" product on the car. But, the pedals were so nice I just had to put them on. So far, no regrets either.

I've been meaning to take pics. When i do, I'll post 'em.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you guys drill the brake pedal?
It is metal and I just have a regular drill, I spent over 2 hours last week-end on the brake pedal alone and I am not even done. It is just ridiculous, did you use a special drill?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Sharp
Instructor

just need to have a nice sharp bit....with some even pressure and some lube! any decent drill will do, you sure you have the correct rotation direction...
Old 01-19-2006, 05:08 PM
SRC4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by Renaud Bizet
How did you guys drill the brake pedal?
It is metal and I just have a regular drill, I spent over 2 hours last week-end on the brake pedal alone and I am not even done. It is just ridiculous, did you use a special drill?

Thanks

Here's how I did it: Using masking tape, i taped up the whole pedal. From there, I lay the pedals on, placed a small level and made sure they were straight. From there, I marked the masking tape with some fine tip markers where the holes should be drilled.

The best way to drill through metal is to use a spring loaded center punch first. Most of them are adjustable for how much force you want to punch the object. I used mine on a strong setting to get a nice start onto the holes that I marked. I think this was the most important step.

And as Sharp said, any good drill bit. I have a 20 pc set of Black and Decker Bullet bits that have never done me wrong. The case is perfect and the guide holes allow you to see which drill bits will work best. Look below. These suckers went through my brake pedal like they were butter.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the feedback.
I did mark the holes and everything is lined up. It is a black & decker drill as well, I will try the lube thing by using some WD40 to see if it helps.
Otherwise I will just change the rotation direction

I am sick of looking at them, all the pedals look great but I still have the rubber protection on the brake pedal.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I have looked at a lot of different pedals. Found these on Ebay and thoght they look pretty good at a reasonable price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

This price is $139.00 plus $39.00 shipping. The other day they had the same at $149.00 and if you look at their store they have a buy it now for the pedals for $275.00 I know that last week they did sell a group of them at the $149.00 price so if you jump in you probably will get them at the $139.00 price. I should note that I haven't bought them yet myself so I have never seen the pedals other than on the ebay listing.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the Cargraphic pedals.
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2006, 11:51 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought some no name brand, I gotta tell ya for the $99.00 they are good and a great deal, my thought process was this they are so cheap that if AI didnt like them they would be a throw away lesson,
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2006, 11:57 PM
b_creative3
Advanced

Paul your set of pedals looks good, where did you get them?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:04 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will try and find the email where i bought them, I gotta tell for $99.00 it was a steel..let me look

Quick Reply: New, aluminum pedals?