Sponsored by:

P-Car tax deductible???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default P-Car tax deductible???

Anybody lease their P-Car and write it off (the lease payments)??? Have no idea what the law is on this but I hear people all the time talking about writing off their car and just curious what some of y'all do (legally).

TIA fellas!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:34 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

write it off as business use.
normally ppl write 75%~90% of the lease as business expensive, which is before-tax money.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:36 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the tax laws differ from state to state and country to country. I can tell you this I bought my car, then I sold it to my holdings company(for a profit) , then I turn around and leased it my Company for myself, pretty good outcome, nothing like making money from your self.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:41 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by kilrgt
I think the tax laws differ from state to state and country to country. I can tell you this I bought my car, then I sold it to my holdings company(for a profit) , then I turn around and leased it my Company for myself, pretty good outcome, nothing like making money from your self.
yeal, only your account(and you, maybe) knows what is your company and what is you.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:19 AM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a fellow Canadian I can vouch that the level of ingenuity that we have developed here as a result of high taxes is hard to beat.

I just bought a farm, you should see the tax breaks available to us poor farmers ?
Can you put a flow in front of a Porsche????
Old 01-16-2006, 08:19 AM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...should have read plow, not flow...
Old 01-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

When I leased my 2001, I wrote off the lease payments. When I purchased my 2004, my accountant is amortizing it over a billion years or something... I don't know how it works I just drive it and my business pays for it.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

So I guess you have to own the business and then agree to pay for your employees car (which would be you)???
Old 01-16-2006, 01:35 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by LVDell
So I guess you have to own the business and then agree to pay for your employees car (which would be you)???
the trick is you need to have business income. 1099 instead of W2.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Maybe if I explain my situation then y'all can help explain it to me. My wife is a M.D. that works in a practice that is shared between docs (like a LLC) and we leased the Cayenne for her to travel to/from work. Can it be written off?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:54 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say part of it, again Dell it does depend on the individual situation..Our laws state if the vehicle is driven back to forth to work only then really you cant do much, but if she goes out with a work purpose , she should be claiming it.Call a good bean counter they know the best loops.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Paul.....I'm making the call
Old 01-16-2006, 06:11 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

I've wondered about stuff like this for years. All our friends use accountants at tax time and although not self-employed, they claim to have tons of write-offs. We tried taking our information to someone last year, but after looking at our paperwork he refused our money saying there wasn't anything he could do for us that TurboTax wasn't already doing - we were too "vanilla".

I feel like an idiot asking this here , but does anyone have any suggestions? Any of you Atlanta-based folks - can you recommend someone we can talk to for ideas? The wife and I make good money, but I always feel like we are being taken to the cleaners tax-wise.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:50 PM
moeck
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI - Auto's if used for business can be written off whether purchased or leased. Specific rules must be followed because autos fall under what is referred to as "Listed property" and also "luxury auto" rules. They apply whether leased or purchased, contrary to what some would like to believe. The Porsche Cayenne falls outside some of those rules because the GVW is greate than 6,00 lbs. They're eligible for greater tax write-off's. The law is not that simple or that straight forward and in years past, many accounatnts let clients push their lease payments under the radar, even though they knew it wasn't correct. In 2005 the IRS issued circular 230 basically putting preparers on notice, you play the game and we catch you, it'll cost you - not just the client, big time. Basically saying we are now the tax police!
For info see IRS publications 463, 535 and 946, all of which are on line at the IRS site.
Check it out so you can ask the right questions of your accountant. Without giving any of you specific tax advice, I hope this helps. As a CPA, now I even have to disclaim what I am saying here on an email / posting, so gather information and inquire with your accountant. This is federal stuff and many states even differ from the feds.
IMO, totally agree with level of taxes and return being way over the top.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:51 PM
moeck
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Oop's that's 6,000 lbs.

Quick Reply: P-Car tax deductible???