Sponsored by:

AERO KITS...aftermarket v. factory

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 07:19 PM
nvr setl
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post AERO KITS...aftermarket v. factory

The difference in price for a 996 seems to be about 6-7k for a full aero kit...much more than I feel it is worth...does anyone have experience with an aftermarket aero kit...Im interested it..
1. quality compared to factory
2. price
3. problems getting around the computer no longer raising the rear spoiler at speeds

thanks
Old 09-03-2002, 07:53 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2 cents..

1. The quality of even a Porsche kit installed outside the factory is simply not as good. The key part to the install is the prep work required to attach the door sill skirts. The final goal being no gaps or unparallel lines. Look at any aerokit under the doors and you can likely tell if it is factory or not.

2. The parts are usually 4-5K and painting/install about 1-2K.

3. If you get the factory kit you get a different wire harness for the rear deck. This is the standard harness for the GT3 and does not cause the light or computer to act up. The harness can also be purchased separately.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:22 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The best aerokits IMO (in no particular order):
1. Factory GT3
2. Ruf
Old 09-03-2002, 11:18 PM
appleads2
Intermediate

There's a lot to be said for going "genuine Porsche." Whether Porsche aerokit parts are factory installed or dealer installed afterward I'm not sure will make that much difference on resale, if things are installed correctly. While other non-Porsche kits are attractive, finding a buyer willing to pay the extra cost when you go to sell may be much more difficult. IMHO the possible exception to this would be RUF which enjoys a tight factory relationship.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:19 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Smile

The fit and finish of my rear spoiler and flared rockers was perfect...factory supplied and dealer installed.

Old 09-04-2002, 12:23 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Sorry, this is the other pic of factory/dealer installed rear spoiler.

[/img]http://www.986host.com/albums/doncapecod/test_pics_022.sized.jpg[/img]
Old 09-04-2002, 12:25 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

yeah, right, Don.

Old 09-04-2002, 12:29 AM
AJBoston
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Don,

Great looking car. Really nicely done. I have a couple of questions:

1) which dealer did the spoiler/rocker install?

2) Did you get the Porsche logo on the tail through Porsche parts? Very unique and tasteful look.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:52 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

AJ, I bought the car from a dealer/broker, Brian Buxton of Buxton Motor Sports, a sponsor on this site. The rear spoiler and flared rockers were actually installed at Blue Grass Motors in Louisville, KY

The front Turbo nose thing was painted and installed by Ossining Auto Body in Ossining, NY

The logo is a "Rube Goldberg" kind of thing. I bought the letters from Tweeks. They were for the old pre 1974 911 badge. Each letter comes with stems that were originally went thru holes in the hood and attached with nuts.

I ground the stems off, sprayed the letters Arctic Silver and attached 2 way adhesive tape, similar to what is used to attch Pcar badges today. The rest was just measuring.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:22 PM
AJBoston
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
well, i can honestly say it's one of the nicest p-cars i have seen (and to be honest, i have never been a huge cab fan).

It's always great to see someone really do something unique to personalize their car, especially when it's done in such a tasteful manner.

I pick up my '03 996 Coupe tonight (midnight blue/black full leather) and am already thinking about the possibilities.

AJ
Old 09-04-2002, 04:58 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks AJ. Since I don't do engine mods (except for Fabspeed mufflers), I try and do different cosmetics, some of which you may be interested in. I changed the hood emblem from gold to silver; change the center caps from gold to silver; added the Bird armrest; installed a Brey-Krause fire extinguisher; installed Turbo nose; changed the rear badge. The factory cosmetics were: full leather; carbon fiber wheel, brake handle, shift **** and door sills and 18" sport design wheels. Also got console painted body color to break up the interior a bit. Also installed RUF alum pedals.

Trying to figure out what my next project will be
Anyway, all the stuff is scattered on the website
<a href="http://www.986host.com/gallery/doncapecod" target="_blank">www.986host.com/gallery/doncapecod</a>

Good luck with your new car!<a href="http://www.986host.com/gallery/doncapecod" target="_blank">Don's webpage</a>

Quick Reply: AERO KITS...aftermarket v. factory