Sponsored by:

Carseat Babyseat childseat baby child seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
thewump
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carseat Babyseat childseat baby child seat

I found a GREAT carseat for the 99 Cab. Here's my experience and please feel free to add yours here too. The forum doesn' yet have a really good central thread about this including model numbers etc. that really make for a useful resourse, and for those that want the info, it's really important.

There are two night and day scenarios with child seats fit.

1) With the seat pads in place
2) Removing the seat pads ( they are attached with velcro )

There are also two comfort / practical issues:

1) Deep childseats force you to move the front seat forward to accomodate legs, and with the cab ( if it's different ) with some childseats that have a snug fit you end up having to move the passenger front seat so far forward that it's almost uninhabitable.

2) Height. A higher seatback gives the kid at least a small chance of seeing past the front seat.

SEATS
--------
Costco / Porsche
The Porsche toddler seat is a re-covered Costco seat ( I'll find out which one and post specifics here ). You use it WITH The Porsche seat pads in place. My experience with it was that the fit was great, BUT it is too deep. With it in place the front passenger seat simply needed to be too far forward for my kids legs to hang down. With mom in the car, my kid would have had her knees up around her ears.

Various
What can I say.. I tried about 15 seats that just didnt' work with or without the seat pads. This section is only here to say - don't buy a car seat and hope for the best!

Eddie Bauer Model: 22870BLP
Ahah! This thing is simply the best that I think you could find for the cab.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...41051365eXxLmc

1) Seat pads are removed.
2) fit is realy snug
3) compared to many it really doesn't muffle the speaker too much
4) it is the SHALLOWEST seat that I found. It really doesn't need the front seat to be too far forward.
5) It's black leather ;-) Looks cool with the kid in it, and even better fades into invisibility when she isn't!
6) It rides high enough for my kid to see out the side window pretty well
7) it has an optional cup holder so that my kid can spill soda all over the back of my car ( yeah right! )

The model I found is the same as this one:

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro/baby...ter-Black.html

I'm not sure if other "high back" eddie bower child seats are the same.

That's about it. Hope this is useful.

Keith
Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Thanx for the info, but if you did a search you would have seen that this has been discussed numerous times before. Britax makes the Porsche seat. They may also make the costco seat for all I know.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the eddie bauer one in the back of my cab... the black leather looks great against the graphite grey interior... too bad about all the snacks he drops on the carpet though :-(.
The fit is great and i tried everything the Right Start had in stock.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:10 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow - I'm excited and feel stupid. I have the Eddie Bauer seat in my Tahoe but tried to get it in the Porsche - I didn't think to try it without the seat pad. I'll try again. With the seat in place, have you been able to get someone in the front seat? My wife is only around 5' 5" tall. The only time she has ridden in my car is when we have a babysitter.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, there have been lots of good baby seat threads....I know I started a 3-4 page discussion last March or so.

In addition to removing the bottom cushion which has been discussed in previous threads, you can also remove the seat back which will save 2.5 inches of legroom for your front passenger.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BlackCab,
I have the seat in place the whole time, and the front seat can be pushed back all the way if the baby seat is empty . If the little one and my wife both ride at once, then she like to give him more leg room in the back so it is a bit cramped for her legs, but not impossible. I woyuldnt like to go like this on hour long trips though... the X5 is for that and the huge amount of things the kid need to be brought along (strollers, toys, snacks etc etc).
I do have the bottom seal pad out, but didnt try to remove the back seat pad... can this be done easily anyone ?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:30 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dr_Karl
Old 02-04-2006, 01:21 AM
xraydoc
Intermediate

Default Question about seatbelt with car seat

I have a 2002 Carrera Cabriolet with the Eddie Bauer seat in the back - just like the one in the first photo in the post.

For those of you with this setup - did you do anything to get the seatbelt to stay tight? I can get the seat in good and snug but feel like it works itself loose after a while since the belt doesn't lock in place like a lot of others when you pull it all the way out and it "ratchets" in.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:15 AM
thewump
Instructor

Hmm. Mine DOES ratchet when you pull it all the way out.

Keith
Old 02-04-2006, 02:15 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCab996
Wow - I'm excited and feel stupid. I have the Eddie Bauer seat in my Tahoe but tried to get it in the Porsche - I didn't think to try it without the seat pad. I'll try again. With the seat in place, have you been able to get someone in the front seat? My wife is only around 5' 5" tall. The only time she has ridden in my car is when we have a babysitter.
Ha-ha that is hilarious. I have had my car about a year and a half and I think my wife has ridden in it a handful of times. Usually when we have a babysitter as well. LOL

Anyway, she is also 5'5" and fits in the front as long as the carseat is facing forward. If it was facing rear, I don't think it would work.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:28 AM
xraydoc
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply Keith.

I went and fiddled with my belt some more and it just needed a little "finesse" to get it all the way out and into the rachet mode.

Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Carseat Babyseat childseat baby child seat