Sponsored by:

Portable GPS in the 996.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 07:33 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Portable GPS in the 996.

Do you use one? I recent purchased the LowranceWay 500c and love it except the lighter adapter keeps poping out due to the vibrations from this car and the sort of loose fit of the lighter outlet.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:40 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

How do you keep people from smashing a window and stealing it when you park?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:53 PM
jdk1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Tomtom Go 300. Occasionally it is a little bit 'off' on street addresses but it does an extremely good job routing, etc. I like the 3D views and the bluetooth traffic feature is pretty cool. It has about four hours of battery life, so I only run the cord every now and then.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I have the Street Pilot 2660 and C330 by Garmin. I had the 2660 first, but it was too bulky and there was no place on the Porsche dash for it to sit on. The C330 attaches to the windshield and is more compact. I found it perfect for the C4S and the 987S. It also runs on batteries when you simply want to walk around. I now use the 2660 for the bigger vehicles we have.

As for the popping out, why don't you try one of those 2 to 1 adapters? The C4S has only one lighter, so I use the adapter to plug the GPS and the radar detector on those long trips. You may find one where the GPS unit you have fits snugly.

As far as break-ins, that's the beauty of the portables. You either take them with you or hide them in the trunk.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

You need a special adapter to fit US plugs. The dealer carries them. Apparently all ligher sockets are made to European standard.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:44 PM
emty
Advanced

i use the navman icn510. decent unit. always been accurate for me. navman link

the stupidity of the tomtom commercials would keep me from buying one regardless of price.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:55 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I take it out of the window and put it behind my sear or pull down one of the rear seats over it.

Originally Posted by DCP
How do you keep people from smashing a window and stealing it when you park?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:57 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Ah, thank you my good man..

Originally Posted by Eli K
You need a special adapter to fit US plugs. The dealer carries them. Apparently all ligher sockets are made to European standard.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:25 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Extremely happy with my Garman i3. Doesn't have all of the fanciest features in the world, but it is extremely accurate and tiny- I hardwired it in and put it in the lower dash corner under my state inspection sticker. It is completely hidden from outside the car (because of the sticker) and perfectly located for my eyes while on the road. If I want to remove it, a quick clip release and it fits in my pants pocket.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UNC, got any pics of your setup or install? I am probly going to get a GPS from Costco to replace my old unit that is now obsolete.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 PM
prestonmcafee
Cruisin'

I put the lowrance 500C in my Cabriolet and am quite happy with it. It sometimes takes a few minutes to find enough satellites to locate me and the default for highway use is silly for Los Angeles, but changing the settings to favor freeways produced sensible directions. I also hooked it up to the aux input (disabling the CD changer) and very much like having an MP3 player. I haven't completely eliminated alternator whine, even with a ground loop isolator, but I am hopeful that rearranging the path of the wires will solve that problem.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:27 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I forget that it has the MP3 player built in. I have, already, an MP3 connected to the aux input but I would like to have a hardwired for power, though.

Originally Posted by prestonmcafee
I put the lowrance 500C in my Cabriolet and am quite happy with it. It sometimes takes a few minutes to find enough satellites to locate me and the default for highway use is silly for Los Angeles, but changing the settings to favor freeways produced sensible directions. I also hooked it up to the aux input (disabling the CD changer) and very much like having an MP3 player. I haven't completely eliminated alternator whine, even with a ground loop isolator, but I am hopeful that rearranging the path of the wires will solve that problem.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:04 AM
UNC Nick
Instructor

DJ- I'll try to take some tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:49 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

You guys might want to take a look at this little nugget, just released at CES. I think this is the one I am getting.

Alpine Blackbird PMD-B100 Portable Navigation Device

Alpine of America, Inc., the market leader in the manufacture of high fidelity and high performance mobile equipment has recently launched it's latest innovation a portable navigation device (PND) called the Blackbird PMD-B100. The system can be docked to system and it also has an integrated traffic receiver.
With the Global Positioning System, it can give turn-by-turn navigation information from the pre-incorporated comprehensive NAVTEQ™ map coverage information for the maps of USA (including Hawaii and Alaska) and Canada. Just follow the voice instructions to reach virtually any destination address.
The device runs on the Microsoft Windows CE platform. All controls and functions are easily manageable from the larger touch-screen in-dash monitor or with an optional. The 3.6-inch digital LCD delivers 16.7 million possible colors and anti-glare technology for easy at-a-glance visibility. You can extend and update the Map information by connecting it to a computer using a built-in USB 2.0 connection or you can directly put in information using the built-in SD/MMC card slot.
Are you bored with all the stereotyped functionalities of PMD-B100? Don’t be: unlike conventional navigation devices the PMD-B100, Portable has the capabilities of playing all your favorite music tracks, it supports all formats like: MP3, WMA, and WAV. The ever entertaining FM produces an incredible sound coming out of super quality amplified speaker.
The complete box pack includes a cigarette lighter power adapter that works in all vehicles, a carrying case and wiping cloth, a PC mini-USB cable, a replaceable 1200 mAh lithium polymer battery, owner's manual and quick reference guide.
Blackbird (PMD-B100) will be in markets in January at an estimated retail index of $750.

Alpine Blackbird (PMD-B100) Features Included:
General
Turn-by-turn
Maps of USA and Canada onboard
6 Million Point of Interest (POI) locations
7 POI map icons
Mounting cradle with built-in FM modulator and amplified speaker
USB 2.0 Connection for map database updates
Centrality Atlas II ARM9 CPU with embedded 16 channel GPS
LCD Display
3.6" digital LCD with anti-glare touch screen and 16.7 million possible
colors
Ambient light sensor automatically controls display brightness.
Remote control sensor
Music Playback
Playback from MMC/SD Card Slot
Stereo audio jack for headphones
MP3, WMA, and WAV Playback
Alpine Blackbird (PMD-B100) Specifications:
General
Power Requirement (Hand-held Mode): AC Adapter: 5V @ 1.5A
Power Requirement (Cradle Mode): Cigarette Lighter Adapter 12 V @ 2A
Stereo audio jack size: 3.5mm
Stereo audio jack output (S/N): 90 dB

FM Frequency Selection: Frequency Band (14 Selections)- 87.7 MHz, 87.9 MHz,
88.1 MHz, 8.3 MHz, 88.5 MHz, 88.7 MHz, 88.9 MHz, 106.7 MHz, 107.1 MHz, 107.3
MHz, 107.3 MHz, 107.7 MHz, 107.9 MHz
Chassis Size (W x H x D) in: 5-3/4" x 2-7/8" x 1-1/16"
Weight: 0.5 lb
LCD Display
Screen Size: 3.6 inch
LCD Type: TFT Active Matrix
Number of Picture Elements: 230,400 pcs (320 x 240 x 3)
Effective Number of Picture Elements: 99.99% or more
Illumination System: LED
Battery
Battery Type: 1,200 mAh lithium ion battery
Dimensions (W x H x D): 62mm x 7mm x 39mm
Weight: 1 oz (28g)
Remote Control (Optional)
Model Number: RUE-4140
Battery: 2 x "AAA"
Weight: 0.06 kg (2.1 oz.)
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2006, 02:14 PM
SPR
Drifting

seems pretty cool but you're limited to the sd card capacity no internal hd??? So you limited currently to what about 4g I think is the biggest sd now?

Also it appears that there is no line out merely a headphone out with 90 db s/n?

Quick Reply: Portable GPS in the 996.