Sponsored by:

Battery!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 10:43 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts
Unhappy Battery!

Well I have been finding myself doing a lot more of this rather than driving lately. I find it distressing that a car that is 2.5 years old and has 10.5K miles on it should have a totally dead battery. I can't even get it started this time

My key also has the red light lit...the manual says the battery is dying on the key when the light flickers but it says nothing about the light staying lit...I guess it needs a new battery as well.

So...next week I presume I have to get a new battery...what is the name of that battery maintainer that so many people like?

Am I over reacting about this? I have never had another car where the battery died so soon.

After a few years I think I finally figured out how to post pix...I hope!!
Attached Images   
Old 01-07-2006, 10:58 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

OK...the pictures worked! I updated my avatar as I thought I was getting the hang of this but the picture still stinks!
Old 01-07-2006, 11:02 PM
RobynC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you are over reacting (sorry). Batteries take care and maintenance and as well CHARGING. Which means you need to drive the car. And with only 10k miles on your car, you do not drive it enough to keep charging your battery. (And depending on the build date of your car, the battery could potentially be three years old) They don't last forever and in time, their longevity is diminished because it's not the "daily driver". The cells cannot replenish with some sort of charging taking place, if you don't charge, they die permanently...which means in time you have less and less to keep charged and life of that battery goes down. A battery is like a piggy bank. If you keep taking out and putting nothing back you soon will have nothing. As well, atmospheric conditions will play a part in how long your battery lives.

Now you say that this has never happened on any other car you've owned. Do you drive those cars as little as you do the Porsche?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:07 PM
RobynC
Pro

PS If that's all you've had to do in two years...than you are lucky my friend! BTW - beautiful car!
Old 01-07-2006, 11:19 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Thanks Robyn...I certainly take you saying my car is beautiful as a serious compliment!

I agree with you on the usage thing...that's why I am so annoyed...I decided that I was going to drive the car a lot more and now I can't get it started.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:45 PM
RobynC
Pro

It's wonderful motivation to get out and drive that baby!! If you can weather permitting. I feel for you guys who have to store your cars for the winter....!

I do completely understand your frustration though. These cars are high maintenance to say the least.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:49 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My original battery finally quit on my daily driver after 6 years. You should get more than 2.5 years out of it, have the dealer check for anything draining the battery, a bad ignition switch for example. It should be covered under warranty, no?
Old 01-08-2006, 01:14 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You gotta drive these cars, f cars are meant to be garage queens, not Porsches.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:31 AM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're not going to drive it more, replace the battery and buy the Porsche battery maintainer. I travel for work and use it when I'm gone for 5 or more days. I understand that it has helped people get through winter storage as well. Also, I bought the duralast battery and it was a fraction of the cost of the Porsche battery. Also an easy install - just don't forget to attach the breather tube on the windshield side of the battery.

Quick Reply: Battery!