Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

What are you listening to? Porsche Stereo upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 09:22 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts
Default What are you listening to? Porsche Stereo upgrades

Am in the process of upgrading my stereo in my 99 996 and just thought I'd ask what other fellow owners are listening too out there. Have already gotten good info and advice from Rod Birch of www.audioinnovations.com out in California (am on the oppoosite coast) and he has some awesome ideas to work with.

However I thought I'd pose the question; what speaker upgrades and head unit upgrades, amps and subs are those of you who've taken the plunge listening to? And how do you like them? Also anyone who has put more than a 4" speaker in their Porsche I'd especially like the pros, cons, and hows from you. Anybody gone with DVD or aftermarket navigation?

thanks for the replies (in advance).

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/photo_060705_001.jpg
Old 12-31-2005, 10:49 AM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently have a traffic pro w/ aux in and custom wiring adapter from becker parts bin to mate the factory harness (no cutting) to my jl 500/5 powering a 10w3 d1 dual voice coil 1.5ohm in a custom box I made and cdt audio 4" separates in the dash. I have the map pocket door panels and am not planning on modifying them but that is the most common option esp. if you don't need so much bass.

FYI as is, the sub hits so hard that I rarely turn it past -3 unless I want a "bass check"

I am thinking of swaping out the cdt's for some focals, especially since I got a smoking deal on the cdt's and they cost a fair amount more for the series I have, than the focals. I am also thinking of going for a avic-di/n2. It's really a bummer that the d1 cannot play dvd's or else it would be a done deal. I could of course always grab an external or in dash player but I like the cd holder and *ehem cup holders . (I rarely use them but they do work well for small cups and soda cans.)

Some things to note after the install:

Watch the rca wire routing for hum. I have this now after moving something and will need to reroute or put in a suppressor as it's annoying.

Also when mounting the separates my cdt's have a square mounting design so I had to bend, screw and silicon them to the factory area.

An annoying problem was with the tweeters. I have the upgraded 1" and mounted their surface mount pods onto the oem housing to then insert the tweeters. ( this allows me to aim them ) There isn't much clearance getting them in. I had one pop off after a while (drivers).

I also have the crossovers in the boot although I am going to probably relocated them into the dash. The crossovers love to allow the wires to come out of the wiring block because it's so small, and of course I had to use the best wire guage feasable, I think 14 guage. In any event, the terminal blocks are gold so I think I might just solder them in, then screw them down when I relocate them.

Feel free to ask me questions. When I made my box, I went to al and ed's to get some carpet for it. FWIW the black carpet they have is VERY close to the porsche carpet. At the time I was toying with getting factory carpet or factory leather to wrap it. I showed the guy working there the box I made and he offered me a job on the spot . Kinda funny.

Another cool thing I did was with the JL grill the gasket on the 10w3 is so tight when compressed that I didn't use the reciever for the grill. (the thing that you screw under the sub that the metal grill tucks into.) Instead I simply popped the grill over the gasket and the result is uber clean.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:52 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have redone the entire system , in fact it was the first mod after I bought the car, I was installing an entire system when the car was less then 24 hours old. I ordered the car with the bose high end factory system, not because i thought it was going to sound good, but because i wanted the door speakers. Here is a breakdown of my system: entire MB Quart door,dash and rear Pioneer DVD/Nav, with a 6 disc dvd changer and a indash MP3 and to power to all i am running a JL 6450 (6 channel) amp . I built a box that houses a 10" sub, I unhooked the factory sub box no longer needed.It sounds greats , I am thinking about removing the back seats and running 3 10" subs, but it will be heavy and a pain in the *** to re and re when at the track.Anyways if you want advise or DIY just ask away I will be more then happy to help.
Attached Images     
Old 12-31-2005, 07:16 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While Im trying put my baby on a diet, you guys are trying to make them gain weight..
Old 12-31-2005, 08:22 PM
AjaxTT
Intermediate

I just got a Pioneer AVIC-N2 combo DVD/nav and got advice on getting the DVD to work while driving. Will follow along for upgrades to standard speaker system in my 2001 996TT. May get the XM radio and traffic modules in addition to the iPod adapter and voice recognition control. Maybe I should put a remote mic near the exhaust to better enjoy the sound and screw the music?????
Old 12-31-2005, 10:56 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Rod is the man - he helped me with my setup. I have a Kenwood head unit, sirius, music keg and focals all around. audison amp. needs a little more bass, perhaps next year. also have a parrot bluetooth phone kit - fantastic
Old 01-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have Alpine Nav, head unit with pop-up screen, and 12 disc changer connected through the hi-fi factory system....works great.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:54 AM
acourvil
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm . . . my upgrade doesn't quite fit the choices. I upgraded all the speakers, and added a sub amp, but kept the head unit and main amp. With a MOST system, it seemed like the only way to keep the sound/PCM2/OBC integration.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:16 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

One more vote for factory speakers...

Although I will begin my audio journey this spring as I'll be getting a head unit and speakers to start...
Old 01-02-2006, 08:56 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It's really the only solution is to pursue the aftermarket. Didn't Porsche used to have a stereo delete option to save us the trouble of spending thousands on that weak product?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:22 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the motor and fabspeed exhaust
Old 01-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
the motor and fabspeed exhaust
Now that's a real sound system upgrade.......nice.

Quick Reply: What are you listening to? Porsche Stereo upgrades