Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OBD II Readers: Any Sponsors Sell Them? Who wants one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 02:51 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan,

Do you know if the Autoenginuity tool allows for modifications to the car such as door lock delays, automatic door locking, etc? It would be a cool feature to have. If it doesn't can you suggest any otheres?

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:57 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've sent a PM to Vivid and am waiting to hear back the details of the group buy. Or Vivid, please post here if possible. Thanks.

I did some searching and came up with two tools most commonly used here. If anyone knows of others or would like to throw a recommendation out, please do! I think we are all ears.

Option 1

The AutoEnginuity seems like the most recommended and comprehensive scanner/reader. It is Window-based, or Palm-based, but not Mac OS (sorry dell). Supports CAN and OBDII. Read below for further details.

Negatives: The more expensive option out of the OBDII scanners, retail $230, but from the reviews it does seem worth it. May be difficult to use for the novice? Implementation/connectivity a problem (as yetis pointed out)? Any others anyone may list?

Here is a long list of its functions:

What AutoEnginuity's ScanTool can do:

Read Stored and Pending P, U, B, C Trouble Codes (including 14,000 manufacturer specific codes)
Clear the Check Engine or Service Engine Soon indicator
View live vehicle sensors in a grid and graph format
View oxygen sensor live data and test results
View all 11 Inspection/Maintenance system test results
Unlimited logging of Diagnostic Trouble Codes and live vehicle sensors
English or Metric (SI) units of measure supported
Run and query specific component and system tests
View generic and manufacturer enhanced data on the same tool
Configure the interface to suit your preferences

Supports:
1996 and newer passenger vehicles whether it be domestic, Asian, or European.
SAE interfaces: J1850 (PWM and VPM) and ISO-9141-2

Requirements:
Differ for Palm, Pocket PC, an PC Based
The ScanTool package consists of:
AutoEnginuity's software
AutoEnginuity's OBD-II vehicle interface
Protective case
User Guide

You can also get the Speed Tracer Stage I software to go along with it. It is a a performance-based analysis software for your PC or PDA.

What it can do:

0-60ft time
0-60 MPH
1/8 mile time
1/8 mile speed
1/4 mile time
1/4 mile speed
G Forces
SAE Horsepower
Torque
SAE Horsepower and Torque vs RPM graphing
Speed vs Time graphing

Option 2

The Equus 3100 is a scanner tool with the OBD2 software built in and ready to go. Don't need a laptop or PDA. Also, it does come with a manual showing (generic) fault codes. But for more specific Porsche orientated codes, we need a porsche manual or you can ask the gentlemen here at Rennlist or Renntech. Retail $99-$129
http://www.iequus.com

Negatives: Does not read the sensor in real time. To many, simply knowing what error code is causing the CEL is not enough. Doesn't have as many functions as the Autoenginuity piece, but it is less expensive and easy to use (for the novice).

- Works on all 1996 & newer OBD2 Compliant Vehicles.
- "Plug & Play" Interface. Connects to the vehicle and shows all necessary data in 15 seconds or less - no set up required.
- Patented Single-Screen Display. Patented all-in-one display shows 19 vital pieces of information, including diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), pending codes, emissions monitor status and more (U.S. Patent #6,687,584).
- C.A.N. (Controller Area Network) Coverage. C.A.N. will be mandatory on all vehicles in 2008. It is the fastest way yet for OBD2 vehicles to speak with their computerized systems.
- Erases Codes. Lets the user turn off the "Check Engine" light, clear codes and reset monitors.
- Booklet and CD. Includes manual with DTC definitions in English, French & Spanish.
- Support. Includes free Understanding OBD2 video and support by all ASE Certified Technicians via toll-free phone line or Internet.
- System Status LEDs. Color-coded LEDs show quick emissions readiness status. This is great to use before getting an annual emissions "smog" check, buying a used car or taking a long road trip.

FYI---

'95 911s use OBD I
'96 and later use OBD II
'04+ CAN
Old 12-21-2005, 04:20 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

The Autoingenuity does not let you reset your airbag light, delays, etc. It will let you reset your CEL. As far as I know, there are no OBD scanners for p-cars, that give you those functions, that are not Porsche dealer scanners. The porsche option is big $$$$.

Don't let my connectivity issues scare people off, I eventually got it to work.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:55 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

the tool will not let you clear codes for airbag. I wish it could help with the dor locks and cool stuff like that but it will not allow you to do so. Cost for everyone is 199.99 plus shipping
Old 12-21-2005, 05:08 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested but not in one of those $200 ones, I mean all you can do is read and erase. I see them in Autozone for $99 bucks plus they also let you use theirs for free. So if you can find one near or below that price, I'm in.

Originally Posted by evo_333
As Eli said, it is used to read the code and reset the CEL should it come on. More importantly, it saves you a trip to the dealership and them ripping you off for a reading. You know exactly what is triggering the CEL, so you can go from there. It could be the gas cap was left slightly unscrewed, triggered the CEL and you end up taking the car to the dealership to find that out. Don't ask, its happened to me. ugh

I just love the idea I can check the code and report back to the experts here, who needs porsche mechanics anyways?

No, but seriously, from what I know, you can use this on most vehicles out there so it is definitely beneficial in the future, at least I think so
Old 12-21-2005, 11:55 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Ditto what washington dc porsche said. All I need is one to read the codes and reset the check engine light.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:59 PM
emty
Advanced

Originally Posted by vove
Ditto what washington dc porsche said. All I need is one to read the codes and reset the check engine light.
same here.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:42 AM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

I agree, I'll look into the second option, Equus ($99), and see if they can provide a group buy ... I called Autoenginuity and they said they could do $179 for 5 orders and $169 for 10 orders, which is lower than Vivid's group buy ($199) but not at quite the price we want.

Will check back in with you guys tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a deal going for everyone...
Old 12-22-2005, 08:36 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Has anyone used the Equus product? I hate to be penny wise and pound foolish unless they are ostensibly the same product. Frankly, having never used any readers, I just can't offer any input and am really relying on the group here. So go the rennlisters, so go I.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

I would be in for $169 as long as it will work with an 04.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:41 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Quick question: where does the scanner 'plug' in? Under the gearshift cover?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:00 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nycebo
Quick question: where does the scanner 'plug' in? Under the gearshift cover?
In the OBD port, which is in the drivers side foot well, right above the fuse panel.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1863
Old 12-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

When I did research a few months ago on OBDII readers I was told that the generic versions will read the common engine codes, etc. but won't do things like reset the airbag light (mine is on), the mirrors, etc. There are Porsche specific. I think Loren on Renntech has information and experience with this.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

OBD is emissions realated. Airbag (safety related) would not fall under that so you need to pay the big $$ for the dealer (or any shop that have deep pockets to afford one) to use their PST2 to turn it off.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
Can you reset Airbag lights or Break Wear lights?
The only testers that I know that will clear an air bag light are the Baum Tools scanner with the Porsche software (about $4000 with the Porsche software option), a PST2 (about $3300-$4700 on eBay) or a new PIWIS tester (about $18,000 initial an $10,000 per year after).

The brake wear light is triggered by the brake sensor wire wearing through and breaking the connection - it is not reset by any tester. It is reset by replacing the worn through sensor wire.

I have Car Code OBD II Software that runs on a laptop (about $120) and a used PST2 (about $3300 on eBay).

Quick Reply: OBD II Readers: Any Sponsors Sell Them? Who wants one?